Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evil spirit cleansing scam rakes in millions

Clarakore

Detectives say there has been a rash in New York of what's known as an evil spirit or blessing scam, where older immigrant women, mostly Chinese, are swindled out of their valuables by clever scammers arriving from China who prey on superstition and fear. In the past six months, two dozen victims have reported valuables stolen – in some cases more than $10,000 in cash and $13,000 in jewelry, according to police reports. A total of more than $1.8 million has been stolen.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Detectives say there has been a rash in New York of what's known as an evil spirit or blessing scam, where older immigrant women, mostly Chinese, are swindled out of their valuables by clever scammers arriving from China who prey on superstition and fear. In the past six months, two dozen victims have reported valuables stolen – in some cases more than $10,000 in cash and $13,000 in jewelry, according to police reports. A total of more than $1.8 million has been stolen.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

And this is different from "mainstream religions" exactly how?

Edited by Zaphod222
  • Like 6

This has been going on in various cultures since time immemorial. My own mum was told by a friend of a friend who was spiritual that she was cursed, but that she knew someone who could lift it - it was complicated and it would cost about $400.00 to complete the process of reversing the curse over several sessions .... ain't some of the folk we share the earth with just so delightful? Bah.

What about those who pretend to be Bankers ?

• Like 2

This has been going on in various cultures since time immemorial. My own mum was told by a friend of a friend who was spiritual that she was cursed, but that she knew someone who could lift it - it was complicated and it would cost about $400.00 to complete the process of reversing the curse over several sessions .... ain't some of the folk we share the earth with just so delightful? Bah.

One I knew of actually performed slight of hand and made to person think they burned the $300. And was not getting paid at all. It's all free.

Brilliant actually create counterfeit that you exchange for the real thing, then it gets burned.

of course I could be wrong and the witch doctor actually burned the $300... Yeah right!

• Like 1

What about those who pretend to be Bankers ?

Pfffttttttt! Pretend? Real bankers are crooks. The entire concept is a scam. Lending for interest should be illegal.

• Like 2

Who would have thought, except it goes on every where. That is how the guy across the street from me makes his living. He is a slime ball. It is legal, too, the county sells licenses for it. Gives the rest of us witches and wizards a bad name.

• Like 1

I still can't work out how they're allowed to operate off baseless claims/nothing proven in the history of mankind etc. Is it because people believe they're doing less harm than good? Is it socially acceptable? Yes religion is up there too. People need to open their eyes and let the world move forward. This kind of crap is a severe disadvantage.

Anything of this nature, is a scam. Whether for money or not.

Who would have thought, except it goes on every where. That is how the guy across the street from me makes his living. He is a slime ball. It is legal, too, the county sells licenses for it. Gives the rest of us witches and wizards a bad name.

Wha??? What is the license for?

A believe or not is says he can charge people for psychic readings. 50 bucks and you can rip off anyone you like.

A believe or not is says he can charge people for psychic readings. 50 bucks and you can rip off anyone you like.

So a psychic license? That does sound weird. I guess I could understand a business license, but yeah, a psychic license.. Kind of funny, county scamming a scammer.

I still can't work out how they're allowed to operate off baseless claims/nothing proven in the history of mankind etc. Is it because people believe they're doing less harm than good? Is it socially acceptable? Yes religion is up there too. People need to open their eyes and let the world move forward. This kind of crap is a severe disadvantage.

Anything of this nature, is a scam. Whether for money or not.

There are legitimate shamanic practices and transpersonal counceling, but yes. trickery should be illegal.

Alas, for this kind of thing cast shadows of dislike and misgivings upon those who are honest and really want to help people. It affect those who are sincere in what they do and that is a sad thing, whether we believe in those things or not...

Edited by sam_comm

A psychic license? Is it written on psychic paper?

Oh, and how come these folk never win the lottery, or the Belmont stakes? Hmmmmm, one wonders.

Thse sort f scams have been going on as long as there have been people. Oracles, seers, witches, psychics, roughly 99% of them are shills and cons. The remainder are genuine, and usually keep a low profile.

'It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money' - Canada Bill Jones.

• Like 2

I still can't work out how they're allowed to operate off baseless claims/nothing proven in the history of mankind etc.

Yes, I thought that's the role of government, to protect it's citizens. Fortune telling, curse removals, astrology, and many other scams should be illegal. Consumer fraud comes to mind, and it should not be difficult to argue that case.

• Like 1

A psychic license? Is it written on psychic paper?

Oh, and how come these folk never win the lottery, or the Belmont stakes? Hmmmmm, one wonders.

Thse sort f scams have been going on as long as there have been people. Oracles, seers, witches, psychics, roughly 99% of them are shills and cons. The remainder are genuine, and usually keep a low profile.

That is what it says on the paper, psychic license. I wish he would win the lottery then he would move away.

Eh, could have seen that one coming.

i can't see what the problem is to be honest? if people want their evil spirits cleansed, why shouldn't they?

i mean, no-one wants a dirty evil spirit hanging around, funking up the place do they....?

:-)

• 1 month later...

As long as there are people to believe them, there will be such scams. It's a shame.

According to the "psychics" here on UM, they wouldn't ever DARE use their "gifts" for personal gain. Makes perfect sense.....

• Like 1

I can do that. Give me your moneys.

Why can't we redefine 'demon' as a dark but natural part of human psyche? Why do we still have to believe that it is an actual supernatural entity?

These sort of scams have been going on as long as there have been people.

Sad but true.

Oracles, seers, witches, psychics, roughly 99% of them are shills and cons. The remainder are genuine, and usually keep a low profile.

In my experience, only 5% (usually the ones charging the most and getting the most attention) are shills and cons, and the rest are sincere. Of course, sincerity doesn't guarantee talent...nor does it guarantee a person can actually judge how much talent they, themselves, have.

I think we all have moments of psychic awareness at times. I think we also all have moments of keen insight based on normal perception (that we're not consciously aware of) at times. And I think we all have moments of thinking we have genuine insight (whether natural or super-natural) when we don't. (And occasional moments when we think we don't, but we do.)

Probably (as with most matters of spirituality) the more awareness you achieve, the less interest you have in things like winning the lottery. I've noticed that moments of genuine psychic talent seem to come more often the less fear you have...I've also noticed that a lot of people (me included) want money to allay their fears--fear of failure, of uncertainty, of the future, etc. So perhaps by the time you've conquered your fears enough to achieve true psychic insight, you've just stopped caring that much about being rich.

A new Murphy's Law corollary: The ability to clairvoyantly see future lottery numbers is inversely proportional to one's desire to do so.