Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man believes he found fossilized Bigfoot head

Still Waters

I can't get the video to load, but the picture makes me wonder what is wrong with people?

Granted, I'm no expert on fossils or the process of fossilization, however I do know a couple things about them and one of those things is that soft tissue doesn't fossilize. It can leave an impression in the surrounding rock......that's how we've managed to learn what dinosaurs' skin looks like, but the skin itself simple rotted away.

A simple x-ray will answer the question if it's a real skull or not.........and why did he wait six weeks before bringing it to the local paper to show them?

Sculpting takes time I guess? :)

Can we play a guessing the rock game?

I will go second after Todd May:

funny-rock-penis.jpg

Noooooo, Todd is NOT in any part of the photo! :whistle:

• Like 4

funny-rock-penis.jpg

loooooooooooool

Great rock this guy found ,my brothers friend thinks every rock he finds was used by Indians .

This guy has creates full of rocks, he has rocks in his head lol

“I’ve been tracking and watching for Bigfoot,” May said. “I’m very curious, interested in that, and wanted to get footage on it ’cause I’ve ran across him a couple of times.”

The first time was in April of 2011, just before dark one evening. May was “kicked back, enjoying the hot springs” near the mouth of Ogden Canyon when he spotted something emerge from the bushes just across the river. It was black with a silky coat, and it moved quickly, never looking over at May.

“My first thought was, ‘My heck, there’s a gorilla escaped from the zoo or something,’ ” he said. “I thought, ‘What in the heck’s a gorilla doing?’ Then it dawned on me what it was.”

The only other time May has seen Bigfoot was about a month ago, in the same area. He says he likes to go to the hot springs late at night, when there are fewer people there. He was at the springs about 2 a.m. one night.

“A couple of nights something was breaking branches and throwing rocks in the water,” May recalls. “And I thought it was just some obnoxious people or kids or something in the canyon.”

On this particular night, however, he decided to investigate, thinking perhaps it was an animal. May was walking down the trail when he saw it, down in the trees by the water.

“I had the light on it, and I thought, ‘Oh my land,’ ” May says. “It was tall, it was big, it was big around — pretty good size. And it kind of looked back at me and I was just frozen. … So I just stood there with the light on it for a minute, and then I heard somebody across the way yell, ‘Oh my gosh, it’s a monster!’ or something. So somebody else had seen it.”

http://www.standard....ed-bigfoot-head

May has an avid interest in the subject and has seen Bigfoot twice before - both decent sightings (and quite similar to many other accounts of Bigfoot) if you didn't know about his rock-fossil...

So does his latest "evidence" now discredit his previous Bigfoot sightings? Why or why not? Interested in a broad cross-section of opinions here...

May has an avid interest in the subject and has seen Bigfoot twice before - both decent sightings (and quite similar to many other accounts of Bigfoot) if you didn't know about his rock-fossil...

So does his latest "evidence" now discredit his previous Bigfoot sightings? Why or why not? Interested in a broad cross-section of opinions here...

*snip*

Putting my opinion of bigfoot's existence aside.

Imo,

That can be a tricky one. Sort of like the boy who cried wolf, but in reverse, if that makes sense.

Does one inarguable misidentification automatically equal three?

I don't think it should.

Does it weigh in when evaluating his sightings? That would depend after questioning him more thoroughly as well as learning more about him.

And discussing that "fossil" head of his with him, could shed some light on his perspective and state of mind, etc.

• Like 1

If your world has been turned upside down, due to a close range sighting, one questions if everything they've ever been told is true or not. Since his rock find is within a short period of time after his alleged sightings, he may still be in "everythings a Sas" mode falling victim to pareidolia.

On the other hand, he could be making it all up in an attempt to add some kind of crediblity to his find.

It could go either way depending on which way one wants to spin it.

I can't get the video to load, but the picture makes me wonder what is wrong with people?

Granted, I'm no expert on fossils or the process of fossilization, however I do know a couple things about them and one of those things is that soft tissue doesn't fossilize. It can leave an impression in the surrounding rock......that's how we've managed to learn what dinosaurs' skin looks like, but the skin itself simple rotted away.

A simple x-ray will answer the question if it's a real skull or not.........and why did he wait six weeks before bringing it to the local paper to show them?

Because he had to summon up the courage to pull off a total lie

If that's a big foot head...I have a couple of genuine dragon bones that I'd be willing to sell at a fair price to that guy.

Looks like a Rocky Balboa fossil to me...

• Like 1

Wait...a thought just occurred to me.

I thought Bigfeets ate the remains of their dead so there wouldn't be any traces of them. If this is a fossilized head like this guy claims, it means there had to remains for it to form.

So I guess the Bigfeets missed this guy or they were just full?

• Like 2

Wait...a thought just occurred to me.

I thought Bigfeets ate the remains of their dead so there wouldn't be any traces of them. If this is a fossilized head like this guy claims, it means there had to remains for it to form.

So I guess the Bigfeets missed this guy or they were just full?

They don't eat the skulls. They put them on a stick, freeze them then eat them like ice-lollies. They then use the skulls for portable 'knocking' devices to confuse the Finding Bigfoot team. ;)

• Like 1

I don't see the face in the rock. I think he may be mistaken.... to say the least. :huh:

wonder how nike would pitch a shoe to a big foot,

i have a business model ready for when hes discovered, huge shoes for the blue caller half ape man! free banana with every purchase of gell sol's, subway would also have an exellent mascot for their footlong, come on big foot! let me be your agent! sorry i had to troll a bit

• Like 1

Well technically using a person's previous statements alone to judge a new statement is a fallacious arguement. So, I think we need to look at the rock alone and decide if it is something other then a rock. And it is.... a rock... at least IMHO.

They don't eat the skulls. They put them on a stick, freeze them then eat them like ice-lollies. They then use the skulls for portable 'knocking' devices to confuse the Finding Bigfoot team. ;)

Makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

Does one inarguable misidentification automatically equal three?

I don't think it should.

Well technically using a person's previous statements alone to judge a new statement is a fallacious arguement.

Bear in mind that these three statements (1 evidence, 2 sightings) are all about the one thing – Bigfoot (or his belief in Bigfoot)...

Ideally we would be able to flesh-out the details of these claims and the claimant but in reality we can only go with what we have. If we were to start a Bigfoot Database from scratch could we reasonably add May’s claims as credible information about a potentially unknown species? Could the data from these examples lead us to the zoological discovery of the century?

If your world has been turned upside down, due to a close range sighting, one questions if everything they've ever been told is true or not.

On the other hand, he could be making it all up in an attempt to add some kind of crediblity to his find.

It could go either way depending on which way one wants to spin it.

Perhaps he truly believes that he has seen Bigfoot twice and that he has found a fossil Bigfoot head AND he is making it all up. Perhaps this is a tangible example of the power and influence of the imagination in the human experience of “real life”. After all we, all "spin it" to some degree...

Stardrive - If one “questions if everything they've ever been told is true or not” in such an unusual experiences why do you think they never seem to question themselves – ie question our basic perceptual and cognitive limitations as flawed human beings? What’s your take on that?

QuiteContrary – Considering the informal demographics of active Bigfoot belief have you not noticed which state Todd May’s home town of Ogden is in?

Perhaps he truly believes that he has seen Bigfoot twice and that he has found a fossil Bigfoot head AND he is making it all up. Perhaps this is a tangible example of the power and influence of the imagination in the human experience of “real life”. After all we, all "spin it" to some degree...

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one, sometimes not. Not really sure in this guy's case because there's no way to know all the facts, so we're left to speculate (just add spin). The truth is probably buried somewhere in the middle. He may have truely thought he had a genuine sighting, got jumpy, and found the rock.

Stardrive - If one “questions if everything they've ever been told is true or not” in such an unusual experiences why do you think they never seem to question themselves – ie question our basic perceptual and cognitive limitations as flawed human beings? What’s your take on that?

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case it's spot on, I questioned my own sanity and state of mind when confronted with a bizzare find.

I'm curious as to what you've observed in Oz. Is that the trend you've been seeing? [that people don't ever seem to question themselves]

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one, sometimes not. Not really sure in this guy's case because there's no way to know all the facts, so we're left to speculate (just add spin). The truth is probably buried somewhere in the middle. He may have truely thought he had a genuine sighting, got jumpy, and found the rock.

I think that May's Bigfoot evidence is an objective demonstration of his Bigfoot belief. He is sincere but obviously incorrect. It happens frequently in all corners of the globe - we're all human...

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case it's spot on, I questioned my own sanity and state of mind when confronted with a bizzare find.

I've heard that before but none could ever back it up - so did you actually go see anyone (like a mental health professional) about your "bizzare find"?

I'm curious as to what you've observed in Oz. Is that the trend you've been seeing? [that people don't ever seem to question themselves]

I don't think that it is a trend per se but rather forms an intrinsic part of the broader phenomenon (the "I-know-what-I-saw syndrome"). This apparent lack of self-questioning and unawareness of basic human flaws and limitations seems to go hand-in-hand with a lack of detail within reports and a disdain for outside scrutiny of claims within Bigfoot-proponent circles. In my experience such features are no more prominent in Oz than in your neck o' the woods...

I think that May's Bigfoot evidence is an objective demonstration of his Bigfoot belief. He is sincere but obviously incorrect. It happens frequently in all corners of the globe - we're all human...

Could very well be. I found what looks like a petrified turtle head last summer. But I don't know for a fact that's indeed what it is. I guess it depends on the state of mind and intent of the person who finds such a thing.

I've heard that before but none could ever back it up - so did you actually go see anyone (like a mental health professional) about your "bizzare find"?

I don't think a professional shrink would have been able to help me very much. They would probably say something like "hurry up and get a patent on that!" Actually, the only type of professional that would be interested in what I found would be a socio-cultural anthropologist because they're the ones that study hunting techniques. And I don't know of one as of yet. I did contact a Cherokee medicine man to see if he knew anything about it. He seemed eager and willing to listen at first, then when I showed him, silence.

I don't think that it is a trend per se but rather forms an intrinsic part of the broader phenomenon (the "I-know-what-I-saw syndrome"). This apparent lack of self-questioning and unawareness of basic human flaws and limitations seems to go hand-in-hand with a lack of detail within reports and a disdain for outside scrutiny of claims within Bigfoot-proponent circles. In my experience such features are no more prominent in Oz than in your neck o' the woods...

Ok. That was a mouthful right there but I catch your drift. I'm on the outside looking in, and here's what I see. Your interpretation of the "I know what I saw" syndrome may be slightly skewed by your own devout skeptisism. If the individual, who claims to have had the sighting, saw the said creature in plain view, unobscured, in the daytime, then they very well may know for a fact what it is they saw. If not, then it's quite possible they are mistaken and it's a case of misidentification.

Oftentimes if you put the shoe on the other foot (so to speak) you see a different side to things and you just may find out where this "distain for outside scurtiny" originates. Even though this is a discusssion forum, not a prove it to me forum, try it out for yourself and watch what happens.

This is a fine example of a grown man with an over active imagination and lack of critical thinking skills. I would love to see his fossil collection, it would probably be a great abstract thought exercise.

:w00t:

Fossilised Mammoth

220px-Balanced_Rock.jpg

Fossilised Hyrax

220px-GabbroRockCreek1.jpg

Fossilised Hyrax Egg, validating the above Fossilised Hyrax

TravelingRoundRockDSCF4041-719173.jpg

Fossilised Sandwich

10410498-stack-of-rock-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

This is a fine example of a grown man with an over active imagination and lack of critical thinking skills. I would love to see his fossil collection, it would probably be a great abstract thought exercise.

Well now, in all fairness he did say he would give a portion of it up for examination by scientists, "May says he’d be perfectly happy to allow scientists to examine his Bigfoot skull, but he wouldn’t want it to fall into someone’s hands “where it just sort of disappears.”

I doubt anyone will want to spend money on it though, just because it's too implausible.

funny-rock-penis.jpg

Aww... I see a bunny!! A big bunny. Very, very big bunny.