Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to deal with cops under any circumstance

Yamato

I've heard it said here that you have to answer a cop when he's asking you questions. I don't know if these posters were foreigners or what made them think that way, but that erroneous belief implies that our right to remain silent only begins after we're under arrest, an absurd notion.

This ex-cop teaches us how to deal with police when they're giving us any line of questioning about anything, by standing up for our rights and not losing them to the verbal games cops play:

Here's an example of applying the advice above and breathing through the nose:

http://youtu.be/eExtu9Dmzrk

• Like 2

Unfortunately, while these tactics might work in some neighborhoods they might get you beat down and arrested by the police in another when it would just be easier to cooperate, be polite, and be on your way if you are not guilty of anything.

Playing the tough guy who "knows their rights" or acting like a rebel with cops is not advisable in all areas.

If being pulled over turn off your car, pull the keys out of the ignition and place them on the dash, turn on your dome light, roll down your windows, and keep both hands on your steering wheel.

Be polite.

Edited by The world needs you

If being pulled over turn off your car, pull the keys out of the ignition and place them on the dash, turn on your dome light, roll down your windows, and keep both hands on your steering wheel.

Be polite.

All of which has to do with making the cop's job easier and absolutely nothing to do with defending your rights.

You'll have to show some evidence that these tactics will get you beat down in some neighborhoods. I don't know, maybe on the internet somewhere. Good luck.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, while these tactics might work in some neighborhoods they might get you beat down and arrested by the police in another when it would just be easier to cooperate, be polite, and be on your way if you are not guilty of anything.

Playing the tough guy who "knows their rights" or acting like a rebel with cops is not advisable in all areas.

Be polite.

I just noticed you responded to my post in four minutes after I published it and the first video is 15 minutes long so you don't even know what "these tactics" are. They're not "playing the tough guy". You just sided with the state again as usual, even if you don't even pay attention enough to know what you're talking about.

• Like 9

I just think you have to be careful. For example, I wouldn't recommend doing this with the New Orleans PD during Mardi Gras.

Yes, you are within your rights. You've also just taken a hell of a beat down and every cop there will testify that you provoked it.

Or perhaps you'll find yourself standing on the side of the road watching your car get ripped apart because the K9 "responded positively" when they brought him over to give you the sniff. Whoops, our bad. We didn't find anything. Have fun putting your back together Mr. Johnny Cochrane Constitutional Lawyer Smart Guy and, no, you can't sue us because we had probable cause.

It reminds me of when I was learning to drive and I liked to tell my Dad "but I have the right-of-way" and he'd say, "yes you do and that will look really good on your tombstone."

• Like 5

Thanks for posting these videos Yamato. Very insightful, really.

• Like 3

I just think you have to be careful. For example, I wouldn't recommend doing this with the New Orleans PD during Mardi Gras.

Yes, you are within your rights. You've also just taken a hell of a beat down and every cop there will testify that you provoked it.

Is there such a precedent case you can refer me to? That would be tragic if someone didn't sue for damages and teach the police department a lesson in respecting rights. Maybe you've stumbled on one of the real problems with this country - kids being taught how to fear authorities, to conform and comply to such a degree they're living below their rights instead of within them.

Thanks for posting these videos Yamato. Very insightful, really.

You're so welcome! I hope they help someone here, I really do. I think a problem is that some people are very resistant to receiving the help.

• Like 5

Is there such a precedent case you can refer me to? That would be tragic if someone didn't sue for damages and teach the police department a lesson in respecting rights. Maybe you've stumbled on one of the real problems with this country - kids being taught how to fear authorities, to conform and comply to such a degree they're living below their rights instead of within them.

Some of them you had better be afraid of.
  • Like 2

I just noticed you responded to my post in four minutes after I published it and the first video is 15 minutes long so you don't even know what "these tactics" are. They're not "playing the tough guy". You just sided with the state again as usual, even if you don't even pay attention enough to know what you're talking about.

Aha well observed...If that doesn't spell out - You are caught lovely, I don't know what does...

Poor Brittany ...I bet your face is beaming with embarrassment lol :P

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 4

Some of them you had better be afraid of.

I agree, but not helpless in the face of them.

We seem to be missing many of the great Constitutional debates that are supposed to be happening in our House and Senate before they vote on the bills they pass. We seem to be missing many of the great Constitutional defenses in our judicial branch that people bring to bear in the defense of their rights. I don't know why the bureaucrats don't care enough to come to the floor and have these debates. I don't know why the courts don't receive the case work. I believe if we don't use the Constitution we lose the Constitution. We've got to change the oil, replace the battery, inflate the tires and take it for a spin or we're going to wind up being afraid of a lot more than we are today.

• Like 3

It happens all of the time in the Big Easy. It happened to a friend of mine back in college. He even had to pay a fine to keep himself out of jail.

AS to kids, how many are even taught the Constitution in school anymore? Sure, they're taught who signed it and when and probably taught a lot about the more politically correct amendments, but how many are really taught the Bill of Rights and what it means?

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 3

Doubtful everyone who posts here, in agreement or not, will waste 16 1/2 minutes of their life watching these videos.

First video, first two minutes was enough of that rubbish. Saw the second one. My opinon remains the same after seeing the FlexYourRights videos several years ago which are higher quality than the ones provided in the OP and with less antagonistic rhetoric about "we are a police state." We are not a police state. Even in neighborhoods with higher police saturation.

My advice remains the same, treat the police with respect and if you are doing nothing wrong there is nothing to worry about. Someone getting hurt and/or arrested by doing otherwise will be on them and those who encourage immature behavior. Unlike some we appreciate the job and the service provided by our law enforcement officers. When some do get out of line we ask for accountability but advising everyone to act belligerent and declare their rights is just foolish and far from anything resembling street smarts.

What is most immature about it is the time it would waste when an officer could quickly move on and be available for more important matters.

Just dont be a dick. If you know you've commited an offence then stay tight lipped.

If the officer asks you for your drivers license, ownership, and proof of insurance and you refuse. Well expect to be removed from the Car.

You have the right to remain silent, but sometimes that causes more harm then good. If you are just trying to be a dick expect to have a hard time. Remember most cops would be just as happy to give you a warning if you are curtious (or at least reduce the offence) but wont hesitate to give you the full penalty if you are a dick.

Defend your rights but don't be a dick.

~Thanato

• Like 4

Indeed.

Most of these videos are produced by:

A. Those who did not grow up or live in areas with high police saturation. Having seen and knowing people who were shot growing up, now having someone recently get gunned down two houses down in front of their child and then having some teens shot down the block means you want good relations with the police.

B. Those who are not licensed to carry a concealed handgun. Of course everyone who does already knows to immediately show the officer your CHL along with your DL and insurance and to inform him/her a firearm is on your person.

Being polite can also indeed get you off with a warning. It has me!

Volunteer as little information as possible, and be compliant to the point that its not obstructing, and don't be a dick like posted above as it just gives the police a reason to get violent.

• Like 1

In my experience, being calm and polite will get you much further even if you have done something then mouthing off about how you "know your rights".

• Like 2

Like many fellow dark skinned males I was taught how to deal with cops when I was a boy. Never call or initiate eye contact with a cop and run from one if you can even if you havnt done anything because theres always someone who fits your description that did. And If you cant avoid em always say "yes sir" or "yes masta" and never make quick movements with your hand.

• Like 1

If you are guilty of something, half-truths seems to get you on your way faster then denial.

Back when I was like 16 I ended up staring down the barrel of 3 felonies cause I didnt keep my mouth shut. Me and some friends were hanging out in a abandoned house. When we got caught the cop who questioned me acted like he was trying to be my friend. Nervous I told him that we had hung out there 2 other times (which was a lie) and didnt do any harm to the place (which was true). Next thing I know im being charged with 3 counts of burglery. Lucky for me the court had to hire me a lawyer cause I couldnt get a public lawyer. Dont ask me why, I never understood it myself. But the guy they hired was really good and got me 40 hours of comunity service, instead of 15 years in a cell.

Come to find out, if I had just said nothing, they would have only been able to charge me with a trespassing ticket, which would hev been a small fine.

• Like 1

Doubtful everyone who posts here, in agreement or not, will waste 16 1/2 minutes of their life watching these videos.

First video, first two minutes was enough of that rubbish. Saw the second one. My opinon remains the same after seeing the FlexYourRights videos several years ago which are higher quality than the ones provided in the OP and with less antagonistic rhetoric about "we are a police state." We are not a police state. Even in neighborhoods with higher police saturation.

My advice remains the same, treat the police with respect and if you are doing nothing wrong there is nothing to worry about. Someone getting hurt and/or arrested by doing otherwise will be on them and those who encourage immature behavior. Unlike some we appreciate the job and the service provided by our law enforcement officers. When some do get out of line we ask for accountability but advising everyone to act belligerent and declare their rights is just foolish and far from anything resembling street smarts.

What is most immature about it is the time it would waste when an officer could quickly move on and be available for more important matters.

Nothing being presented here denotes disrespect and so your criticism is strange. "If you are doing nothing wrong there is nothing to worry about" has nothing to do with defending one's rights. We are protected from illegal search and seizure and from incriminating ourselves and from being tricked out of our right to remain silent. If cops dealt with silent people everywhere they went the sheer economics of the landscape would mean they'd have to respect the law of the land not abuse it with word games and mental tricks.

As the OP video suggested that you missed because you can't review something in its entirety before jumping to conclusions, we're not to antagonize the police and make them angry at us. Your latest advice conforms with the advice presented in the video and you don't even know it. Advising everyone to act belligerent? This is an examples of the kind of errors you make when you can't even watch what you think you're talking about.

• Like 3

i know it works, if a cop stops you and he sees you know the laws, he will let you go and find another sucker that doesn't.

• Like 1

I think refusal to answer a cop can result in a charge of obstruction of justice ... you would be hampering an investigation. If a cop tells you to do something... you'd better do it, unless you want to be manhandled and cuffed ... and possibly beaten.

put your hands down! WAP! WAP! WAP!.. put your hands down!! WAP! WAP! WAP! ... put your hands down! WAP! WAP WAP! Stop resisting!!!!!!

Edited by lightly

you obviously don't have slightest clue what the thread is about. it isn't about resisting, or not answering, even thou it is your right, believe it or not, it s about not waiving your right, cuz you said something you shouldn't. he was right in the video, 90% are convicted due to their stupidity, and you could be one of them.

Edited by aztek

I think refusal to answer a cop can result in a charge of obstruction of justice ... you would be hampering an investigation. If a cop tells you to do something... you'd better do it, unless you want to be manhandled and cuffed ... and possibly beaten.

put your hands down! WAP! WAP! WAP!.. put your hands down!! WAP! WAP! WAP! ... put your hands down! WAP! WAP WAP! Stop resisting!!!!!!

You do have a point and it's one I've often made to folks - even if you feel you are 100% in the right, do what the police tell you and don't give them any excuse to escalate the situation. Let the attorneys sort it out afterwards.

again it is not about escalating, it is about not waving your right, and those that still can't see it, will most likely end up throwing them away without even knowing it. it s not about being nice to a cop, it is about knowing the rules, and letting a cop know you do know them. cuz he plays by the same rules.

it teaches you not to be a bobo, but apparently there are plenty of bobos in denial around

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2