Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Adam Kokesh arrested in Herndon

questionmark

Police searched the Northern Virginia home of activist Adam Kokesh Tuesday evening and took him into custody, according to a news release posted on Kokesh’s Web site.

Kokesh, a former Marine, was held overnight at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center, charged with possession of schedule I or II drugs while in possession of a firearm, said Lt. Steve Elbert, a spokesman for the Fairfax County Sheriff’s Office.

Read more

If only the half of the above is true he is more brain amputated than I thought.

I heard about this.....

Drugs were most likely planted.....

• Like 3

Same as if someone had alcohol and tobacco in their house but no one freaks out about those, just saying.

This is about his Youtube video were he openly loads a shotgun in freedom plaza, that's illegal there.

Im skeptical about the whole drug thing, for one because adam says they were expecting the feds to raid him. Sooo wouldent you get rid of that stuff before hand?

Or it could be a protest thing who knows.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Same as if someone had alcohol and tobacco in their house but no one freaks out about those, just saying.

This is about his Youtube video were he openly loads a shotgun in freedom plaza, that's illegal there.

Im skeptical about the whole drug thing, for one because adam says they were expecting the feds to raid him. Sooo wouldent you get rid of that stuff before hand?

Or he thought himself so untouchable that he never thought about the joint in the ashtray.

You always have to remember that Al Capone did not get arrested for murder or racketeering, he got arrested for not filing taxes.

That's what I've been thinking.

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking the mushrooms were probably planted because why would you have something like that around if you were expecting to be raided. Which with him I guess anything is possible.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 1

the only other reason I could think would be that its some open disobedience thing. Since libertarians are pro gun and about ending the drug war. But the problem with that is that if it was an open disobedience thing he would of mentioned it on his YouTube video too, or publicized it in some way.

Soo its sketchy, all I know.

And im really sure that he doesn't consider himself untouchable, he has been arrested and slammed to the ground quite a bit.

• Like 2

charged with possession of schedule I or II drugs while in possession of a firearm

This wording is curious. So the penalties are worse if you're in the possession of drugs WHILE in the possession of a firearm?

That's what I was thinking the mushrooms were probably planted because why would you have something like that around if you were expecting to be raided. Which with him I guess anything is possible.

People jumped to that conclusion claiming that video evidence proved he was planted with drugs the last time he got arrested. Kokesh brings the drugs and puts them in the face of the authorities. He's not one to clean it all out of his own house just because he thinks he might get searched. It's called civil disobedience and it's his trademark. If he's that brash out of doors he's not going to be that timid in his own castle.

• Like 2

This wording is curious. So the penalties are worse if you're in the possession of drugs WHILE in the possession of a firearm?

Yes, many minor offenses can be changed to felony if you have a gun on you at the time.

Yes, many minor offenses can be changed to felony if you have a gun on you at the time.

I don't think he had a gun on him at the time. I think they found guns in his house.

I don't think he had a gun on him at the time. I think they found guns in his house.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person unlawfully in possession of a controlled substance classified in Schedule I or II of the Drug Control Act (§ 54.1-3400 et seq.) to simultaneously with knowledge and intent possess any firearm on or about his person. A violation of this subsection is a Class 6 felony and constitutes a separate and distinct felony and any person convicted hereunder shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of two years. Such punishment shall be separate and apart from, and shall be made to run consecutively with, any punishment received for the commission of the primary felony.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.4

As long as they had a warrant, I dont see this as an over reaction on their part. They where going after a man who (though non violently) loaded a shotgun and called for a revolution. I don't think they could of sensibly knocked on his door.

~Thanato

• Like 1

Well....I think Kokesh is a little too extreme to be a good spokesman...but then again....what real mover and shaker ever adhered to normal convention.

Narcotics charges....really? Because of mushrooms?

I have had my share of fungus over the years...there is a lot worse they could have drummed up.

I am on the fence with this guy.

I understand, as I said above, that the true "revolutionaries" of our country were always a bit over the line...I can see this being another division point and it saddens me.

The guy makes some solid points....whether you agree with his methods or not is somewhat irrelevant. No one that ever "broke out" conformed very well.

I tip my hat to the guy for nothing else that having figured out how to get press attention...that...in and of itself...is worth something.

He is drawing attention to the slow and methodical erosion of our Freedoms and Rights as described and ordained in our Bill of Rights and Our Constitution...love him or hate him...agree or disagree....he is getting the attention.

ETA:

From the article...

“Numerous police vehicles, including a light armored vehicle and two low-flying helicopters barricaded Adam’s street,” the news release says. “More than 20 armored SWAT team members surrounded the house, as well as a number of detectives, and plainclothes officers.”

The release says police used a battering ram to knock in the front door and detonated a flash grenade in the foyer, then ransacked the house in a five-hour search while handcuffing Kokesh and detaining others who were in the house in a separate room. Those details could not be independently confirmed.

Really?....Battering ram and flash grenades.....did they even bother to knock and announce themselves?

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2

Britney, Merton, you're already slaves in a cage of your own design.

For merely pointing out posession is not as narrowly defined as you would prescribe?

It can mean in your house, in your room, buried in your backyard, under your car seat, or in the trunk of your car or any place you inhabit.

Will wait for the further facts to be disclosed since he had roommates and possession of either one, firearm(s) and Schedule I drug, could be divided between them (if one steps forward and takes the rap or proven otherwise) depending on which area of the residence it was found.

If both were in his possession and he is subsequently convicted of a felony then it is strongly possible he will never be able to legally own a firearm again.

Edited by The world needs you

Well....I think Kokesh is a little too extreme to be a good spokesman...but then again....what real mover and shaker ever adhered to normal convention.

Narcotics charges....really? Because of mushrooms?

I have had my share of fungus over the years...there is a lot worse they could have drummed up.

I am on the fence with this guy.

I understand, as I said above, that the true "revolutionaries" of our country were always a bit over the line...I can see this being another division point and it saddens me.

The guy makes some solid points....whether you agree with his methods or not is somewhat irrelevant. No one that ever "broke out" conformed very well.

I tip my hat to the guy for nothing else that having figured out how to get press attention...that...in and of itself...is worth something.

He is drawing attention to the slow and methodical erosion of our Freedoms and Rights as described and ordained in our Bill of Rights and Our Constitution...love him or hate him...agree or disagree....he is getting the attention.

ETA:

From the article...

“Numerous police vehicles, including a light armored vehicle and two low-flying helicopters barricaded Adam’s street,” the news release says. “More than 20 armored SWAT team members surrounded the house, as well as a number of detectives, and plainclothes officers.”

The release says police used a battering ram to knock in the front door and detonated a flash grenade in the foyer, then ransacked the house in a five-hour search while handcuffing Kokesh and detaining others who were in the house in a separate room. Those details could not be independently confirmed.

Really?....Battering ram and flash grenades.....did they even bother to knock and announce themselves?

Probably not.

What ever happened to knocking on the door, and informing the residents that your your the police and have a warrant to search the premises? This is Gestapo like tactics, if you ask me. I may not agree with some stuff the guy says or his tactics, but at least he stands up for what he believes in.

• Like 2

....he is getting the attention.

The question is what kind of attention?

Most will see this in terms of a joke at best and a threat at worst but let us focus on the first which perhaps will become the prevailing view if he is even noticed and remembered at all.

Getting raided by the park police has its own comedic value. Being hopped up on shrooms will insure the laughs. Some will perceive a connection between the mushroom use and his paranoia and dreams of grandeur.

Seriously, planning an armed march on Washington, even if he cancelled it, was quite moronic to even propose it. Definition of big headed here.

One of the roommates had a handgun strapped in a holster as he talked, but all said they believe in non-aggression and that Kokesh’s views have been misrepresented in the media.

They described themselves as voluntaryist, a strain of libertarianism that believes all acts -- such as paying taxes or gun restrictions -- should be voluntary.

http://www.washingto...39_story_1.html

Well the media does not have to misrepresent much. The violence they pose if anything is minimal and no one is worried about it. The police can take care of this bunch easy enough as they already have. The park police at that.

It is their views of being "voluntaryist" that are just going to alienate most people as it just plain seems like an idea coming from the lunatic fringe.

Sure, some can dismiss those who will scoff at them as being "mainstream", "statist", followers of "Obushama" or any other quirky terms and accusations which only serve to label those using such labels as coming from a certain camp.

The mainstream will never side with people spouting such ideas. That has nothing to do with the media either. Even without the media we just do not think that way and never will. We can file this in the same bin as where the ideas, antics, and attitude of Ross Perot came from decades ago.

Edited by The world needs you

• 3 months later...

Adam Kokesh was released today.

He plead out though; he's now facing 7.5 years max with the plea deal. He's back with his girlfriend for now but I think gets sentenced on the 17th of this month.

• Like 1

Any ideas on why he would agree to a plea bargain? His tactic of pleading the 5th seemed to work for him before

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see if he can continue his protests from a cell.

What's that supposed to mean? He's been in a cell for months.

His trial is Nov 18th, sentencing Jan 17th, he faces 7 years max mainly for firearms and a six-month max sentence for marijuana charges, but that doesn't address the magic mushroom charges in Virginia.

I suspect he'll continue in the vein of Jury Nullification; Adam also got a new lawyer about a week ago, for whatever reason it wasn't disclosed by his g/f or manager.

• Like 2

What's that supposed to mean? He's been in a cell for months.

His trial is Nov 18th, sentencing Jan 17th, he faces 7 years max mainly for firearms and a six-month max sentence for marijuana charges, but that doesn't address the magic mushroom charges in Virginia.

I suspect he'll continue in the vein of Jury Nullification; Adam also got a new lawyer about a week ago, for whatever reason it wasn't disclosed by his g/f or manager.

If he's convicted then his housing arrangements will probably change. If his protests are the key to his troubles then it follows that they will try to put an end to his work.