Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Photoshop can only be rented from now on

questionmark

Anyone that brings me art from software like that, I usually have to re-do because it's never as good as it can be. That means they end up paying me.

Anyone that brings me art from software like that, I usually have to re-do because it's never as good as it can be. That means they end up paying me.

Doubt you ever had to redo anything I did... not even the stuff I make in Paint (usually known as my 5 minute jobs).

It all depends on what it is and what you're going to do with it.

Where we are back at my first statement.

Right. No professionals I know use GIMP. Or Inkscape.

Then it is time you meet some

• Like 1

I've never met any I can work with, lets put it that way. A huge part of the problem is that anyone that owns a computer and has free software thinks they are an artist. I run into that weekly.

And if you use the Gimp under Linux/Unix it beats Photoshop under Windows any day hands down (Does not reach the Mac performance though).

I was wondering why you state PS runs better on a Mac operating system than on Windows, surely the spec' of the individual machine has more of an effect than the brand?

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

I was wondering why you state PS runs faster on a Mac than on windows, surely the spec' of the individual machine has more of an effect than the brand?

Most certainly it will run faster on 2013 Windows machine than on a 2000 Mac.

• Like 1

I was wondering why you state PS runs better on a Mac than on Windows, surely the spec' of the individual machine has more of an effect than the brand?

My co-worker uses a Windows machine, and anything that needs Photoshop work, she usually sends to me. I've never asked why.

I've been recruited by other companies and my interest comes to a screeching halt when I find out their art departments are PC based.

My co-worker uses a Windows machine, and anything that needs Photoshop work, she usually sends to me. I've never asked why.

I've been recruited by other companies and my interest comes to a screeching halt when I find out their art departments are PC based.

You do carry a few preconceptions with you. ;)

Gimp preconceptions, Windows preconceptions...

I don't have any issues using PS on Windows myself (I have not used a Mac since my last educational stint), I can't remember any distinct advantages to using a Mac, except of course the advantage of working with Mr Sweetpumper. :)

For me its swings and roundabouts, both have strengths and weaknesses, both have fans and (forgive the phrase) haters. I remember there being an advantage using a Mac for digital image related work in the 90's but I thought this had passed.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Very diplomatic. :tu:

• Like 1

You do carry a few preconceptions with you. ;)

Gimp preconceptions, Windows preconceptions...

I don't have any issues using PS on Windows myself (I have not used a Mac since my last educational stint), I can't remember any distinct advantages to using a Mac, except of course the advantage of working with Mr Sweetpumper. :)

For me its swings and roundabouts, both have strengths and weaknesses, both have fans and (forgive the phrase) haters. I remember there being an advantage using a Mac for digital image related work in the 90's but I thought this had passed.

I guess the main thing I see with her PC is that it's always crashing and being cleaned up by our IT guy. It's ridiculous. And she uses CorelDraw. vomit-2118.gif

And to be fair, I have to redo a lot of art, no matter what program they've used to create it. Again, too many people thinking they're artists because they have the programs.

I even had a bus load of graphic artists from Marvel Studios in here when we were filming The Avengers and none of them knew how to use Illustrator. Blew me away.

And to be fair, I have to redo a lot of art, no matter what program they've used to create it. Again, too many people thinking they're artists because they have the programs.

I even had a bus load of graphic artists from Marvel Studios in here when we were filming The Avengers and none of them knew how to use Illustrator. Blew me away.

It is never the used tool, it is always the incapability of those who use it. A good graphic artist will return good graphic art with anything that is capable of making lines and polygons.

• Like 2

I guess the main thing I see with her PC is that it's always crashing and being cleaned up by our IT guy. It's ridiculous. And she uses CorelDraw. vomit-2118.gif

Some people seem to have the magic ability to make PC's crash, luckily I do not have this gene...

Corel draw, I remember that. What an apt smiley. ;)

Have to agree with QM on this, the issues you have are with the user as opposed to the software. I think the Marvel/Avengers issue is a great example of how some people get these jobs, its not what you know but who you know.

Anyway, I'll rent. :)

:lol: Are you suggesting we were going off-topic?

It is more than adequate for most professional uses too. Many of the 3d source Photoshop plug ins (NoiseNinja, Perfect Resize... etc) can also be run on the Gimp. And if you use the Gimp under Linux/Unix it beats Photoshop under Windows any day hands down (Does not reach the Mac performance though).

The windows setup matters a lot too ... a lot of Win Users doesn't utilise the User Profiles Features ... The specific Mac setup with just the graphic apps setup is lean and a Win setup can be setup that way too ... the problem with Win as a Graphic Station is the users bloat the startup and fills the Win profiles with all sorts of apps and utilities that they hardly use ...

Anyways the Intel / AMD hardware today is the same as is on the Macs so ... and I am a recognised Corel 3.0 support and I know the only difference is the production support for Mac then that makes the difference ... PostScript, Color Separations and what not ... nowadays that is no longer an issue.

~

• Like 1

Man you don't have to go Linux or mac ..... good rig for this is i7+SSD+8GB RAM,its all you need.

Edited by SolarPlexus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have cs3,4 and 5 on different computers, you'll never see me upgrade again. They have really dropped the ball now, greedy p*****.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Now I am even happier to use the GIMP for ages now....

*necro* Horrendous avatar but yes, i too have used gimp for some time now :sleepy: