Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

americans with their hand out

danielost

the last democratic president I respected and where did that kind of thinking get him. I'm not a big conspiracy person but it does make you wonder.

No good deed is ever unpunished. I guess you don't mess with the PTB (Powers That Be).

eta: for those that missed Miskatonic's post, speaking of JFK.

Edited by Gummug
  • Like 1

There was a time when one person working a manufacturing job could support his family, buy a house, and send his children to college. When was the last time TWO people working full time could do that?

In 1975, I was working full time as a waitress making less than $2 an hour and tips (and believe me, it was a BIG day when you got a whole dollar for a tip!), yet I could afford an apartment for $125 a month. Today I would have to work full time at $12 an hour and my rent would easily be more than 1/2 my take home salary, probably $600 or more a month for a similar one bedroom place. It took gas from the beginning of the automobile 50 years to go over $.50 a gallon. In the next 40 years it has gone to almost $5 a gallon. This is why people need help.

And it's all the fault of the Federal Reserve!

There was a time when one person working a manufacturing job could support his family, buy a house, and send his children to college. When was the last time TWO people working full time could do that?

In 1975, I was working full time as a waitress making less than $2 an hour and tips (and believe me, it was a BIG day when you got a whole dollar for a tip!), yet I could afford an apartment for $125 a month. Today I would have to work full time at $12 an hour and my rent would easily be more than 1/2 my take home salary, probably $600 or more a month for a similar one bedroom place. It took gas from the beginning of the automobile 50 years to go over $.50 a gallon. In the next 40 years it has gone to almost $5 a gallon. This is why people need help.

A lot of this is due taxes. Even if a company gets to worm out of paying higher taxes, they raise their prices. Then you have the unions with their overpriced wages for their members.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 1

A lot of this is due taxes. Even if a company gets to worm out of paying higher taxes, they raise their prices. Then you have the unions with their overpriced wages for their members.

Yes and no.

Everybody needs more money.

The over lying problem is with inflation. We are not told the true inflation numbers. The statistics no longer include food or fuel into the calculation....... 2-3 % target range my azzzzzzzz!

• Like 3

Inflation is caused by taxes and wage increase. That is one thing we haven't hasd to deal with a lot over the last four years. But, it will hit us hard when it returns, in my opinion

Inflation is caused by taxes and wage increase. That is one thing we haven't hasd to deal with a lot over the last four years. But, it will hit us hard when it returns, in my opinion

I think another thing that causes inflation is the Federal Reserve printing money based on nothing.

• Like 2

I think another thing that causes inflation is the Federal Reserve printing money based on nothing.

this is provably wrong

this is provably wrong

Care to put in a link to any kind of substantiation?

Inflation is caused by taxes and wage increase. That is one thing we haven't hasd to deal with a lot over thecturing last four years. But, it will hit us hard when it returns, in my opinion

Dude to be honest I get payed the same amount now as I did 10 years ago starting at a new job. In fact starting wages have gone down signifigantly. Fresh out of highschool I was making $20 an hour in a manufacturing plant. Two years later they layed off everyone including me, then they started using a temporary worker service to fill their ranks with cheap labor. Those people are

getting payed $11 an hour now. Just saying that even though infaltion has increased leaps and bounds the average american is not getting payed any more.

Edited by EnderOTD
  • Like 2

Probably true, hence why the dollar is worth less than the paper its printed on now

• Like 1

Labor is a commadity. Right now we have to many people looking for work. So yes wages will drop. But raising the minimum wage only helps the politician. It makes them look like they care. When all they care about is the next election. What I thought would be good in the idea of term limits is congressmen get three terms and the senate gets one term. After they are off for a term they can run again.

• Like 1

Forces companies to raise wages only increases unemployment.

Companies will fire people and hire less people/give people less hours to make up for the loss in profit.

Raising wages sounds good and gives votes but it hurts people in reality.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

An update sort of, on fox some health care insurers are quiting the health care business.

No.

Inflation is caused by the total amount of new money created in relation to money in circulation.

Wage increases and higher taxes are symptoms of inflation.

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 4

No.

Inflation is caused by the total amount of new money created in relation to money in circulation.

Wage increases and higher taxes are symptoms of inflation.

Both cause inflation. If your boss has to pay you more, he either takes it in the wallet, raises prices, or firs someone. I don't thnk he will take it on the wallet. And the more printed bills, the higher prices go. Because the money is worth less.

Right now wall street is just sucking all those new bils in. If you listen close enough you might hear the sucking sound.

Both cause inflation. If your boss has to pay you more, he either takes it in the wallet, raises prices, or firs someone. I don't thnk he will take it on the wallet. And the more printed bills, the higher prices go. Because the money is worth less.

Right now wall street is just sucking all those new bils in. If you listen close enough you might hear the sucking sound.

'the more printed bills, the higher prices go'(in relation to money in circulation).. (supply and demand)

--he who controls the money supply controls the market and the individual who participates in this market.

Today! All fingers point to the FED.

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 5

Probably true, hence why the dollar is worth less than the paper its printed on now

You used to be able to buy a cup of coffee for a dime. Remember the old "Mister, could you spare a dime for a cup of coffee?"? Some places now a cup of coffee is $2 or more. So by extension, a dollar is now about a nickel of the old dollar. (200/10 = 1/20) The paper in a new dollar might be getting close to being worth a nickel, at least in our new money.

• Like 2

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

It is what it is. We have lost pride...we have lost honor....we have lost personal sovereignty...shame really. All we care about now is "getting more stuff"...and for the most part...the means of acquisition do not matter...if you work for it...fine...if you take a hand out...fine...if you steal it...just don't get caught. Nice isn't it?

Is this really the society we want? I still sometimes find my mind wandering into what a world of the future would be like...and I don't see this as being a good thing...it appears...to me...to be an evolutionary dead end.

We have totally lost our pride...no one cares about anything but the next moment of pleasure and indulgence....hard work?...what is that good for?

We are lost...as is the whole of the world...when pride is substituted with greed....the curtains are soon to close...

• Like 3

As more and more of us give up religion, I agree.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong....Pride...in the extreme...is just as bad....

A momentary refresher course....the 7 deadly sins

Greed

Gluttony

Lust

Vainpride (arrogance)

Envy

Sloth

Wrath (anger)

What used to be abhorable qualities of a human being are now accepted as things you need to survive the brave new world...it's disgusting, sad and troubling....these are not 'good things"...they represent the absolute worst parts of humanity...and now we seem poised to accept them...praise them and desire them.....

dontwanttoliveonthisplanet_zpse14bd37b.png

The giving up on religion was forseen....it's called 'the falling away"....it is here...right now....we see so many "falling away"....but take solace in the fact this was expected....it too will come to pass.

I am not a religious nut....I read all religions...all philosophies. I might not be intelligent enough to tell you how they all tie together...I can only say...from my observations...that there is someting to this....a trend so to speak....a truth that we can choose to ignore but that does not make it go away.

I will not insult people and say we are at this point or that point in the prophetic collapse...I can only say there are synchronicities at work....things linked together that no one can break apart....across multiple cultures....is this "doom"?....prob not...but it does not herald wonderful days either....

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 3

Oil went from $30/barrel to $100+ and....wait, what?! "Don't put that in the Core CPI that we'll cite repeatedly in our figures, what are you crazy?!" While the democrats were calling George W. Bush the antichrist for $100 oil, they're perpetually out to lunch when their gangsta's in the house.

"What did you say? Stock market prices have inflated 100% in four years? Don't factor that in, it will give consumers the idea that the Fed is a failure and besides, the people who matter own those stocks! The people who have to buy them at those inflated prices? Who cares?! They don't have to buy them, that's what retiring on your Social Security checks is all about!"

"Food? The largest expense of the poor? What about food? The mandate of the Federal Reserve includes price stability! So no, don't put food in there! Just because "ya gotta eat"? What kind of excuse is that, Checkers?!"

The portrait of "stability":

chart-of-the-day-food-prices-feb-2011.jpg

Food is regarded as too unstable for monetary policy to stabilize. The Mexicans building our houses are much more reliable than the weather, or those other Mexicans picking our crops.

Oh, and those zero percent interest rates? Yep, they're "moderate"! Good going, Fed! "Nothing to see here Officer Barbrady! Move along!"

Edited by Yamato
  • Like 3

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

It is what it is. We have lost pride...we have lost honor....we have lost personal sovereignty...shame really. All we care about now is "getting more stuff"...and for the most part...the means of acquisition do not matter...if you work for it...fine...if you take a hand out...fine...if you steal it...just don't get caught. Nice isn't it?

Is this really the society we want? I still sometimes find my mind wandering into what a world of the future would be like...and I don't see this as being a good thing...it appears...to me...to be an evolutionary dead end.

We have totally lost our pride...no one cares about anything but the next moment of pleasure and indulgence....hard work?...what is that good for?

We are lost...as is the whole of the world...when pride is substituted with greed....the curtains are soon to close...

This is an EXCELLENT post! I would have pushed the "like" button but I didn't want to "bump off" MacsMom, lol.

• Like 1

I think our oil problem today is the same during carter. Made up, the dems were very out spoken then, that our oil prices was to low. They wanted our gas prices to be five a gallion. But of curse they wanted to be in taxes. We'll they got half their wish. TodY they want prices this high to get us from using it. Further if obama gets his wish with coil powered power plants, a lot of people will not be able to power their medical divices.

• Like 1

If I had to give a reason for our problems today, I would say it's complex and involves more than one thing. First, I think rising rents, and then rising housing costs, are the two biggest things that caused "inflation". Most people will make their housing bill their first bill to pay. After that utilities, then maybe car payments and such. But if the housing bill goes up and all that can be taken out of the clothing and food bill is taken, then the utility bills and other bills begin to suffer.

Let's look at it this way: it's not really about your rent or house payment. It's about what's left over after paying your rent or house payment. When was the last time you heard what a banner year merchants had at Christmas? Now stop and think about this: at Christmas, if people have extra money, what do you think they'll spend it on? Probably presents. But if the rent or house payment gets paid first and there is no leftover cash, then no one shops. Merchants don't sell anything. If I were king, I'd make December a free housing month. No landlord or bank could collect a payment for that month. And I'd expect the economy to get at least a shot in the arm in December.

The other thing that is killing us is the high price of education. We're cutting our own throats. We need to make higher education free to anyone who wants to go ALONG WITH trade schools that high school graduates can attend if they don't want to take advantage of college. These two would have to go hand in hand. There's no sense in trying to send kids to college who don't want to go, but there still needs to be training that they can do. In the case of free colleges, it's a proven fact that college graduates make more money over a lifetime. More money equates more in taxes for the communities and the government. I think the result of more college grads in this country will offset the costs of offering free college. After all, California had free state universities up until the mid 80s and I can't count how many times someone working in Livermore labs or for the space program or as a physicist has said they don't know how they would have been able to go to college now because they could never have afforded it today. I look at all the people around me who could be physicists and doctors and engineers, but aren't, and I see all the spectacular human waste we've endured because we've made college a perk for the rich only.

And third, I think we need to change the mindset of modern companies and business CEOs. When the person who represents a company and is making the very first impression of that company to the public is being paid minimum wage, is the first to lose benefits, is the first to be fired, is the least trained, and is considered the least important in the company, then there's something seriously wrong with business today. I'm talking about the people that you see first every time you step into a business: waiters and waitresses, clerks, cashiers, tellers. They are the most important people because they are the first interface between the business and the public, but they're treated like dirt by the business.

CEOs need to understand their lowest paid employees are as important as they are when it comes to the business. And CEOs also need to understand that as CEOs, they aren't nearly as important to a company as they would like to think. CEO's need to forge a link between the lowest and highest paid person in a business. No minimum wage employee should have to ask what planet their company's CEO lives on. No CEO should be that separated from his employees by distance, job, or economic standing. CEOs today are in their businesses to get rich quick and if that means raping the company and walking over the bodies of their workers, they'll do it. And that has got to change. I worked at BofA before and after they made the change from good bank to bad monster in the mid 80s, when they made everyone hourly employees, stripped health care, fired their CEO but let him walk away with a million dollar golden parachute while the rest of us had wage and raise freezes. Before that, I remember when people were proud to work for BofA. Seems unbelievable anyone would be proud to work there now, doesn't it?

There's other things that contributed our "fall". Manufacturing going overseas, NAFTA, foreign imports, monopolies in businesses. But I see rents, education, and the greediness of CEOs as being the most detrimental to us now. If you disagree, I have no problem with that. Everyone has a different opinion.

Edited by rodentraiser
  • Like 1

The other thing that is killing us is the high price of education. We're cutting our own throats. We need to make higher education free to anyone who wants to go ALONG WITH trade schools that high school graduates can attend if they don't want to take advantage of college. These two would have to go hand in hand. There's no sense in trying to send kids to college who don't want to go, but there still needs to be training that they can do. In the case of free colleges, it's a proven fact that college graduates make more money over a lifetime. More money equates more in taxes for the communities and the government. I think the result of more college grads in this country will offset the costs of offering free college. After all, California had free state universities up until the mid 80s and I can't count how many times someone working in Livermore labs or for the space program or as a physicist has said they don't know how they would have been able to go to college now because they could never have afforded it today. I look at all the people around me who could be physicists and doctors and engineers, but aren't, and I see all the spectacular human waste we've endured because we've made college a perk for the rich only.

If we made college free you realize that it would make having a college degree almost as useful has having a G.E.D. Employers wouldn't have to pay a lot for specialized workers since everyone would be specialized. Plus none thing is free, it just means taking more money from everyone's paychecks.

It is basic supply and demand, the supply of people with degrees go up. The demand stays the same. So people with degrees will have more trouble finding jobs and will get paid less.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2