Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what is religion

danielost

Hey at least I don't fly planes into buildings when I'm "disrespected".

Remember the gun picture?

Religion doesn't kill people. People kill people.

Pastor Bob is a kind hearted family man who loves his god, and wants the best for all in the world, so sets out as a missionary to educate others about his god. Minister Frank is a pedophile who uses his power as authority to have sexual relationships with little boys. Pope Tomas secretly runs a human trafficking ring which kills the unwanted slaves, and found religious verses that he can interpret to justify his money making scheme. Sister Jackie is a depressed nun who goes to old folks homes to pray with the residents in hope that they find peace in a higher power that she never could truly find for herself. 'Pastor' Osama is a free world hating (according to some) crime lord and charismatic tycoon who runs a world wide terrorist organization, using religion to persuade his recruits and followers. They all have their own good, bad, and ugly. But these are their own strengths and weaknesses. They use what they know to further their own personal agendas. Religion. But religion didn't do any of those things. People did.

Religion does control how some people behave, but more importantly, people control religion.

Take the religious texts of Christianity. Read the texts that started it all start to finish. Then read each translation and addition to the texts on through time, up until now. People changed it.

give credit where it is due, but don't take it where it doesn't exist.

• Like 1

Religion doesn't kill people. People kill people.

Wow, where do you think the religionsts get the inspiration from to kill people? You're saying everything bad they do is their own personal choice, and any good they do is credited to religion?

And you wonder why I think religions are a collective narcissism.

Edited by HavocWing

Religion is an uniter.

Religion is a divider.

Christ brings hope for life.

Satan brings death.

God brings love.

Satan brings hate.

For every positive there is a negative.

Hope is a positive with out a negative unless you give up.

You're saying everything bad they do is their own personal choice, and any good they do is credited to religion?

That is the complete opposite of what I was saying. Read it again.

Here, I'll trim the fat for you:

They [people] all have their own good, bad, and ugly. But these are their own strengths and weaknesses. They use what they know [religion] to further their own personal agendas [good or bad]. But religion didn't do any of those things. People did.

Religion didn't cause the people to do good any more than it caused them to do the bad, and the ugly. They just used what they know.

Wow, where do you think the religionsts get the inspiration from to kill people?

Somebody somewhere at some time. There are many 'inspirational' people with persuasive 'sermons'. But though you are still clinging to the narcissist angle, even these evil doers who use religion to inspire hate aren't necessarily narcissists. They just play dirty.

Edited by _Only

Somebody somewhere at some time. There are many 'inspirational' people with persuasive 'sermons'. But though you are still clinging to the narcissist angle, even these evil doers who use religion to inspire hate aren't necessarily narcissists. They just play dirty.

Did you even read the link I provided? The collective as a whole is a narcissistic entity.

• Like 1

That is a good read HWing, thank you. It gives a great understanding of social groups which includes religious groups. I must share it with my Pagan buddies.

That is a good read HWing, thank you. It gives a great understanding of social groups which includes religious groups. I must share it with my Pagan buddies.

You do realize I'm mainly referring to the abrahamic religions. I don't consider paganism a religion, just a form of spirituality.

Did you even read the link I provided? The collective as a whole is a narcissistic entity.

The charismatic leader-follower relationship

[edit]

Another sub-concept encompassed by collective narcissism is that of the “Charismatic Leader-Follower Relationship” theorized by political psychologist Jerrold Post.[14] Post takes the view that collective narcissism is exhibited as a collection of individual narcissists, and discusses how this type of relationship emerges when a narcissistic charismatic leader, appeals to narcissistic “ideal-hungry” followers.[14]

But that's beside the point. No matter how many times you repeat this biased psychoanalysis, it doesn't make it any more pertinent to religion anyway. It is one potential aspect of many, and still only has to do with people.

You do realize I'm mainly referring to the abrahamic religions. I don't consider paganism a religion, just a form of spirituality.

How much do you know about them. They are mystery religions and can have a lot of dogma in them. I can p**s off a lot of Pagans with the statement Wicca is Paganism for Catholics. Believe me narcissism can be in part of spiritual paths. Gurus and nonsense is everywhere. I am about to take a Coven of newbes down the Path. These are things they need to know and think about.

• Like 1

Religion is something people make up over drinks and smokes. Maybe a few mushrooms.

Sounds like fun to me!

• Like 1