Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bayer company sells Aids/ HIV infected drugs

spartan max2

just learned about this today felt like I should share it. It is old news but still relevant. So this company knowingly sold contaminated product overseas and the FDA knew about it and said none thing. :no: Read any of the links or watch the YouTube video it is sad. I never heard about this in the news but then again back in 2003 I was too young to watch the news lol.

http://articles.merc...urope-asia.aspx

http://www.cbsnews.c...162-555154.html

http://www.ahrp.org/...ail/0503/22.php

Bayer Documents: AIDS Tainted Blood Killed Thousands of Hemophiliacs

Thu, 22 May 2003

An examination of internal Bayer company documents by The New York Times reveals that the company was engaged in unsavory, probably criminal marketing practices. The documents reveal that Bayer continued to sell contaminated blood plasma causing thousands of hemophiliac patients to be infected with AIDS. The company continued to sell the contaminated blood in Asia for over a year when it had already introduced a safer, heated blood plasma version in the US and Europe in February 1984.

The documents examined by the Times provide evidence of unrestrained corrupt practices by a pharmaceutical industry giant. According to The Times, records suggest that the reason for continuing to sell an AIDS infected blood product, was to get rid of inventory and "the company hoped to preserve the profit margin from 'several large fixed-price contracts.'"

This previously uninvestigated case demonstrates how this industry's lies and crimes are shielded by officials at the Food and Drug Administration. The Times reports that in 1985 FDA's Dr. Harry Meyer willingly helped Bayer cover up "one of the worst drug-related medical disasters in history." Meyer suggested that the issue should be "quietly solved without alerting the Congress, the medical community and the public." This culture of accommodation continues to prevail at the FDA.

The case also demonstrates Bayer's racial elitism. Its lethal marketing policies disregard human lives. The mother of a 22 year old hemophiliac who was killed by Bayer's tainted product in Hong Kong put it this way: "they did not care about the lives in Asia. It was racial discrimination."

The Times reports that three other American pharmaceutical companies were involved in selling tainted blood plasma after a safer version existed: Armour Pharmaceutical, Baxter International and Alpha Therapeutic.

American taxpayers have awarded unprecedented, generous financial subsidies to this industry--no other has extended patent rights as does this industry. In return they have been deceived, believing that drug company officials care about alleviating suffering and improving people's health, and that the FDA protects them from tainted products. In fact, this industry has repeatedly shown that profits matter more than human livesóeven less valued are the lives in underdeveloped countries.

Currently, Bayer--through its subsidiary, Bayer CropScience--is applying pressure on the Environmental Protection Agency in an effort to lower the standards for pesticide contamination. Bayer has conducted unethical human pesticide experiments and wants the EPA to accept the data from those trials. The nature and purpose of such wholly nontherapeutic experiments violate The Nuremberg Code which was adopted in 1947 to protect human beings from potentially lethal, non-medical experiments.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

Wow! That's really awful.....

there was a movie about it a while ago.

off the top of your head you remember what it was called?

just learned about this today felt like I should share it. It is old news but still relevant. So this company knowingly sold contaminated product overseas and the FDA knew about it and said none thing. :no: Read any of the links or watch the YouTube video it is sad. I never heard about this in the news but then again back in 2003 I was too young to watch the news lol.

http://articles.merc...urope-asia.aspx

http://www.cbsnews.c...162-555154.html

http://www.ahrp.org/...ail/0503/22.php

Bayer Documents: AIDS Tainted Blood Killed Thousands of Hemophiliacs

Thu, 22 May 2003

An examination of internal Bayer company documents by The New York Times reveals that the company was engaged in unsavory, probably criminal marketing practices. The documents reveal that Bayer continued to sell contaminated blood plasma causing thousands of hemophiliac patients to be infected with AIDS. The company continued to sell the contaminated blood in Asia for over a year when it had already introduced a safer, heated blood plasma version in the US and Europe in February 1984.

The documents examined by the Times provide evidence of unrestrained corrupt practices by a pharmaceutical industry giant. According to The Times, records suggest that the reason for continuing to sell an AIDS infected blood product, was to get rid of inventory and "the company hoped to preserve the profit margin from 'several large fixed-price contracts.'"

This previously uninvestigated case demonstrates how this industry's lies and crimes are shielded by officials at the Food and Drug Administration. The Times reports that in 1985 FDA's Dr. Harry Meyer willingly helped Bayer cover up "one of the worst drug-related medical disasters in history." Meyer suggested that the issue should be "quietly solved without alerting the Congress, the medical community and the public." This culture of accommodation continues to prevail at the FDA.

The case also demonstrates Bayer's racial elitism. Its lethal marketing policies disregard human lives. The mother of a 22 year old hemophiliac who was killed by Bayer's tainted product in Hong Kong put it this way: "they did not care about the lives in Asia. It was racial discrimination."

The Times reports that three other American pharmaceutical companies were involved in selling tainted blood plasma after a safer version existed: Armour Pharmaceutical, Baxter International and Alpha Therapeutic.

American taxpayers have awarded unprecedented, generous financial subsidies to this industry--no other has extended patent rights as does this industry. In return they have been deceived, believing that drug company officials care about alleviating suffering and improving people's health, and that the FDA protects them from tainted products. In fact, this industry has repeatedly shown that profits matter more than human livesóeven less valued are the lives in underdeveloped countries.

Currently, Bayer--through its subsidiary, Bayer CropScience--is applying pressure on the Environmental Protection Agency in an effort to lower the standards for pesticide contamination. Bayer has conducted unethical human pesticide experiments and wants the EPA to accept the data from those trials. The nature and purpose of such wholly nontherapeutic experiments violate The Nuremberg Code which was adopted in 1947 to protect human beings from potentially lethal, non-medical experiments.

I received a tainted blood product in July 1980 during childbirth. I am now at end stage liver disease waiting on the transplant list since2009. The blood producing companies KNEW the product were tainted but gave it to patients rather than looze money. Thankfully I received only the HepC virus but that is still a death sentence even if a slow on unlike aids. We are to them nameless and faceless victims but those of us still living are angry and we want to make sure future similar incidents will never happen again!

• Like 2

I received a tainted blood product in July 1980 during childbirth. I am now at end stage liver disease waiting on the transplant list since2009. The blood producing companies KNEW the product were tainted but gave it to patients rather than looze money. Thankfully I received only the HepC virus but that is still a death sentence even if a slow on unlike aids. We are to them nameless and faceless victims but those of us still living are angry and we want to make sure future similar incidents will never happen again!

Thanks for the share. That's why I posted this story hours after I was told it.

It is just a horrible thing I cant believe it happened. :no:

• Like 1

What the.... This would be like Starbucks lacing their customers coffee with Ambien.

• Like 1