Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Validity of an old American West photo

ohio traveler

A made a copy of a photo that a friend of mine had. ( His was a copy also )

I'm trying to figure out if the people in this pic are actually the names that are noted.

Hopefully there are some American history buffs on here who can tell me whether or not the names are accurate.

Would be cool if they were. All being in one photo like this

post-98527-0-03020000-1374342491_thumb.j

• Like 1

The guy in the back looks like Earp. As far as the validity, that can only be established by following the trail of this photo's existence. Just because it looks old it does not mean it also is

A made a copy of a photo that a friend of mine had. ( His was a copy also )

I'm trying to figure out if the people in this pic are actually the names that are noted.

Hopefully there are some American history buffs on here who can tell me whether or not the names are accurate.

Would be cool if they were. All being in one photo like this

See the following:

http://www.huntershotsprings.info/page-4.html

Hope it helps.

cormac

• Like 4

Without looking for all their DOB, is it even possible that such a collection of famous names would be in such a photo together?

i can't read the names on my tinty little phonescreen Clyde, any chance you could write them out for me....?

Without looking for all their DOB, is it even possible that such a collection of famous names would be in such a photo together?

No, or at least unlikely, the Sundance Kid was still a measly paid Cowboy at the time...hardly a person to be on a picture with well recognizable people. Just as an example... but I could be wrong.

See the following:

http://www.huntershotsprings.info/page-4.html

Hope it helps.

cormac

Great job debunking, cormac!

Edited by phantasia
  • Like 1

No, or at least unlikely, the Sundance Kid was still a measly paid Cowboy at the time...hardly a person to be on a picture with well recognizable people. Just as an example... but I could be wrong.

And I was thinking also of Teddy Roosevelt. I knew he was quite some charcter, but this seems a bit too far to be in a photo like this. I'm surpised it doesn't include Washington, Robert. E, Lee, Pocahontas, Davy Crocket and King George

what, like the possibility of getting all these famous people together?-

http://www.aip.org/h...images/ae66.jpg

of course it's possible.

If they all were famous at the same time... yes it is possible.

• Like 1

I thought Judge Roy Bean was a character in Clint Eastwood film, or do I have the wrong name...

And I was thinking also of Teddy Roosevelt. I knew he was quite some charcter, but this seems a bit too far to be in a photo like this. I'm surpised it doesn't include Washington, Robert. E, Lee, Pocahontas, Davy Crocket and King George

Roosevelt was not poor and went on expensive hunting trips in his youth and middle age. So that would be one of the acceptable persons on the picture.

Too early for Roosevelt then. I thought he never became really famous until Spanish-American war a long time after this photo.

And you made your post above a fraction of a second before mine

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri

I thought Judge Roy Bean was a character in Clint Eastwood film, or do I have the wrong name...

No, Judge Roy Bean was a self appointed Judge, famous for hanging people for spitting on the floor. He actually existed. But he hardly hung anybody.

were there REALLY people named "Texas John Slaughter" and "Liver-eating Johnson"??

:-o

were there REALLY people named "Texas John Slaughter" and "Liver-eating Johnson"??

:-o

Yep, there was, an I reckon they chewed their tobaccee and spit like the next men.

• Like 1

i don't suppose you'd know why a character like "liver-eating Johnson" would be famous do you QM....?

:-)

Edited by shrooma

i don't suppose you'd know why a character like "liver-eating Johnoson" would be famous do you QM....?

:-)

Nope, would not. But Wikipedia does

• Like 1

Nope, would not. But Wikipedia does

thanks for that QM!

DEFINITELY not the sort of guy you'd want dating your daughter!!

Good job of debunking Cormac...

I was going to say that I didn't think Ol' Judge Bean ever got up to Montana, and the Earps were mostly From Kansas to Arizona in their roamings - not to say they couldn't have gone north, but the odds are against it at the same time as every one else in the pic...

• Like 2

Good job of debunking Cormac...

I was going to say that I didn't think Ol' Judge Bean ever got up to Montana, and the Earps were mostly From Kansas to Arizona in their roamings - not to say they couldn't have gone north, but the odds are against it at the same time as every one else in the pic...

Well, if we start nitpicking, Doc Holiday died the year after this picture was supposedly taken, we know he spent his last years in a pulmonary clinic in Colorado. Doubt he would have been on a hunting trip.

• Like 1

Very cool picture,thanks for sharing I wonder. If these guys where born around the same time peoide

Morgan Earp died in 1882. Bit hard to see him being resurrected for a group photo.

But it's a great idea. Wyatt Earp, The Sundance Kid and Teddy Roosevelt meeting up to go hunting in Montana.

That's worth a film script.

• Like 1

While obvious that this is a photoshopped pic, it got me wondering about other wild west time period mysteries. Of course stories of lost treasures are numerous. But how about conspiracies and other mysteries?

• Like 1