Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The sun is cold?

Jennifer_P

The sun doesnt get cold when the sun sets....as the sun sets, its rising in other area of the earth.......really.... **facepalm**

Haha, painful isn't it! Oh, BTW, nice icon! Lol!

• Like 1

Source: HERE (Warning, click only if you are happy to be exposed to extreme stupidity).

Oh! Now I'm afraid to touch it! *sigh* ...here goes.

Later: I'm not sure who's more stunned. Me, after reading that article or the person while they wrote it.

Edited by Likely Guy

Haha, painful isn't it! Oh, BTW, nice icon! Lol!

Touchē

• Like 1

Oh lordy, what are they teaching these days?

And why, why would anyone believe that a stellar mass such as our parent star, is cold?

"No, no, kid! Don't touch that stove! You'll freeze yer hand off!"

• Like 1

And even if you think the sun isn't as hot as you once thought, saying it's colder isn't exactly right. You say you don't think the sun is as hot as you thought. I'm sorry to the op though. She admitted to her brain fart. Nothing personal op but some things are hard to resist. Want to feel better? I've got a story....

My brother who was like 25 when he said this to me.... He had a new space app on his phone, Distant Suns, that helps you identify stars above and gives all kinds of information to explore. He learned of the app from me so sometime later we were talking about how cool it was and he nonchalantly goes on to tell me he never knew the sun was only 93 miles away. I of course stared in disbelief and said dude its freaking 93 million miles away. I said Lake Erie, a familiar drve to him, is more than 93 miles away. In fact he has driven many longer trips before not that that should even matter to put it in perspective. My bro tends to to over think himself. He isn't stupid but does lack focus when it comes to academic stuff. He once called chemistry beakers 'science tubes' while telling a story involving them, lol. Back to it, I asked him what in the world made him think the sun was only 93 miles away only after explaining how not here we'd be if that were true. The answer was that on the app he was looking at info about the sun and it said, Distance: 93M

You just have to know him. Hope you feel better op.

• Like 1

Did you guys not understand when I said I don't believe this crap?

And even if you think the sun isn't as hot as you once thought, saying it's colder isn't exactly right. You say you don't think the sun is as hot as you thought. I'm sorry to the op though. She admitted to her brain fart. Nothing personal op but some things are hard to resist. Want to feel better? I've got a story....

My brother who was like 25 when he said this to me.... He had a new space app on his phone, Distant Suns, that helps you identify stars above and gives all kinds of information to explore. He learned of the app from me so sometime later we were talking about how cool it was and he nonchalantly goes on to tell me he never knew the sun was only 93 miles away. I of course stared in disbelief and said dude its freaking 93 million miles away. I said Lake Erie, a familiar drve to him, is more than 93 miles away. In fact he has driven many longer trips before not that that should even matter to put it in perspective. My bro tends to to over think himself. He isn't stupid but does lack focus when it comes to academic stuff. He once called chemistry beakers 'science tubes' while telling a story involving them, lol. Back to it, I asked him what in the world made him think the sun was only 93 miles away only after explaining how not here we'd be if that were true. The answer was that on the app he was looking at info about the sun and it said, Distance: 93M

You just have to know him. Hope you feel better op.

I tend to have moments like that too...but i don't believed the sun is cold. I've just made myself look stupid so i'm going to get this thread shut down because no one is listening to me when i say i don't believe this crap.

Jenifer_P,

You did indeed say that you thought it was "bullspit", however you also qualified your comments by saying:

But every now and then I find myself wondering. Is everything we've been taught about the sun a lie? I digress.

I think given that comment it is understandable that people were slightly confused as to what you believed.

If you go back and read through the replies carefully you will see that no one (except you yourself) is using the word stupid to describe you. What is being described as stupid is the website that you provided the link to in your first post.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.

I tend to have moments like that too...but i don't believed the sun is cold. I've just made myself look stupid so i'm going to get this thread shut down because no one is listening to me when i say i don't believe this crap.

I wouldn't take the responses on this thread to heart. Most of us that have been here a while needed a little break from all the other topics in this sub forum, unfortunately your topic was a fun outlet.

We all make these kinds of mistakes, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Jennifer, I should have made it clear that my response was to the website, not you.

We all have 'those' moments. Even <gasp> me!

Jenifer_P,

You did indeed say that you thought it was "bullspit", however you also qualified your comments by saying:

I think given that comment it is understandable that people were slightly confused as to what you believed.

If you go back and read through the replies carefully you will see that no one (except you yourself) is using the word stupid to describe you. What is being described as stupid is the website that you provided the link to in your first post.

Lol i actually said that as sarcasum.

Lol i actually said that as sarcasum.

Ah, well there's the problem. With no tone of voice to give any sort of clue sarcasm doesn't come across well at all on forums.

Some people show they are being sarcastic by the use of a smilie like this " well I was fooled ;)"

Some people do it by using square brackets in the same way that you would enclose a quote, like this' [sarcasm]well that was totally fantastic [/sarcasm]

However you choose to be do it, it is not a bad idea to give a clue otherwise people simply don't know that you weren't being serious.

None of these methods work; nor would a "sarcasm" font. To be good sarcasm it has to be seen at once as sarcasm without being sarcastic.

None of these methods work; nor would a "sarcasm" font. To be good sarcasm it has to be seen at once as sarcasm without being sarcastic.

No, but at least these methods don't leave you open to the accusation that you are only claiming to be sarcastic after the event.

• Like 1

No, but at least these methods don't leave you open to the accusation that you are only claiming to be sarcastic after the event.

My basic reaction to that is that if the other person is so dumb as to not recognize my sarcasm then that is their problem; of course a problem for me arises when a moderator is also that dumb.

Touchē

I should sing the Doom Song now, bwhahaha!

Source: HERE (Warning, click only if you are happy to be exposed to extreme stupidity).

aaaw man! Waspie!!

PLEASE don't do that again??

you KNOW how when some of us idiots see a sign saying 'wet paint' we just GOTTA touch it!

now i've got the sudden compulsion to lick a window!

*sob*

Some of us have a little discipline (and technical limits to what our equipment can do).