Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird species found

skareb

This was found in the malaysian mangrove forest by Mr. Ismail Jusoh at Marang. The locals claim this is an extremely rare species known as "ngoang" in sarawak and "jabot" in Johor.

post-32050-0-65608300-1374626400_thumb.j

• Like 1

WOW this world never ceases to amaze

• Like 2

Looks like a giant stick bug relative, none the less I wouldn't touch him. Unless of course he turns out to be tasty!

Reminds me of the giant Isopods they found attached to a submarine.

These creatures make me itch and wanna throw up at the same time. :ph34r:

bug2.jpg

bug.jpg

75 centimetres long, a giant woodlice!!. :w00t:

A bizarre-looking giant crustacean has been found after it latched onto a submarine deep underwater and was dragged to the surface, according to reports.

Images of the 75cm creature — which has been identified as an exceptionally large isopod — have caused a stir online after they were posted on the social media website Reddit.

A user of the website claimed to have received the images from a contractor who worked with him at a sub-sea survey company. "Recently this beast came up attached to one of our ROVs (Remotely Operated Vehicle) … it latched onto the ROV at roughly 8,500 feet (2600m) depth.

"The ship he was operating from (and therefore location) is unknown, so I can't tell you what part of the Earth this beast was living." The user's vague description of the origin of the photo has sparked concerns it may be just an April Fools' Day joke, but experts claim it appears to be legitimate.

"I've seen the pictures, and they are real, and they really do get that big," Craig McClain, assistant director of science for the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center in North Carolina, told MSNBC.

"It's an isopod … It's like the [woodlice] that you find in your garden. It's the same group of animals."

McClaim said he had also recently received the same images from a researcher who had been working in the Gulf of Mexico.

"It's definitely not an April Fools' joke," he said.

The isopod, which usually only grows to 60cm in length, is a scavenger that feeds on dead whales, fish and squid and lives in deep ocean waters. The species was discovered over 100 years ago by French zoologist Alphonse Milne-Edwards.

http://www.phantomsa...hed-to-rov.html

Edited by EllJay
  • Like 2

This was found in the malaysian mangrove forest by Mr. Ismail Jusoh at Marang. The locals claim this is an extremely rare species known as "ngoang" in sarawak and "jabot" in Johor.

Do they taste good? Talk about putting another shrimp on the barby?

I don't know which is more amazing, the fact that they can still find something so strange, or that this guy decided to pick it up.

It goes without saying that there is so much to discover and so little time with all the declining habitats. I would love to go to the

darkest depths of the rainforests or mangrove swamps on an epic journey of discovery. Unfortunately, i don't think that will ever

happen :cry:

Thoses little Isopods, are creepy looking.

See this is why i believe in Cryptids, we never know what's out there.

I don't know which is more amazing, the fact that they can still find something so strange, or that this guy decided to pick it up.

I would have employed the truly scientific method of poking it with a stick.

• Like 4

...here we have the most venomous creature in the world, it's venom will kill you in seconds...let's wake him up! :clap:

Edited by CHRIS_UK

Do they taste good? Talk about putting another shrimp on the barby?

Everything is better with butter!!

True!

creatures that live in water have a distinct look to them, the first thing I thought when I saw that was it looks like its at home in the water

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh! to both that dragonfly lobster thingie and the isopod. Like someone said, I prefer to live in places where bugs can be crushed under my boot. Did I tell you I hate bugs?