Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The History of Schizophrenia

notforgotten

Like me, I'm finding myself in bed with a differant female spirit 2-3 times a month when I sleep. LOL

Hey, Not---whatever it takes!!!

But then you seems to ignore what the symptoms of Schizophrenia are: Hallucinations, commanding voices, delusions, difficulties to discern what is real or unreal ect.

As you said, there was no proper diagnostic and treatments at that time for those people stricken by this mental heatlh desease. Medical science through researches evolved and now patients get treaments that allows them to maintain a stable mental health condition. Unfortunately there is cure for it.

I think it's fair to say that in the remote past, people were stricken as well by Schizophrenia and simply didn't know it. Some had all kind of strange visions and hallucinations and thought it was mystic. Today we know that this is due in most cases to mental instabillity. I am not saying that mystical phenomena never occured in history but that in my opinion with the knowledge we have today through medical reasearches most cases can be treated as a mental heatlh desease.

That's the whole point of this thread: every spiritual adept and many creative geniuses could have been diagnosed and drugged back into conformity based on your attitude.

I can think of no greater meaning to the phrase, "blinded by science" in this thread. There is nothing to be found in the dark. If you can't see it, you can't grasp it, nor can you understand it.

I can think of no greater meaning to the phrase, "blinded by science" in this thread. There is nothing to be found in the dark. If you can't see it, you can't grasp it, nor can you understand it.

Please don't tarnish the name of science by assuming psychology is even based on it. Just read some Sigmund Fraud, what a complete load of unscientific crap.

• 1 month later...

It is wrong, wrong! I HATE IT! Psychiatrists are amongst the biggest sociopaths in our midst today. I can't even begin to explain some of the remarkable intelligent people they have taken from the world. The degradation they experience is enough to make them crazier as they are dragged from their home and forced into a psychiatric facility, experimented on with brain damaging drugs and TMS, and told the accomplishments they had before developing the mental illness are "delusions" as they laugh at them. And then their families, in their infinite ignorance actually think this was the right thing to do, and then are left scratching their heads when the "patient" hates them after finally being released. If you are diagnosed with a mental illness you have NO RIGHTS flat out, it doesn't matter who you were before the illness effected you.

• Like 1

It is wrong, wrong! I HATE IT! Psychiatrists are amongst the biggest sociopaths in our midst today. I can't even begin to explain some of the remarkable intelligent people they have taken from the world. The degradation they experience is enough to make them crazier as they are dragged from their home and forced into a psychiatric facility, experimented on with brain damaging drugs and TMS, and told the accomplishments they had before developing the mental illness are "delusions" as they laugh at them. And then their families, in their infinite ignorance actually think this was the right thing to do, and then are left scratching their heads when the "patient" hates them after finally being released. If you are diagnosed with a mental illness you have NO RIGHTS flat out, it doesn't matter who you were before the illness effected you.

Hi, and much thanks for the liking!!!

Also: I would love much your thoughts (and those of others here) about what I have wriiten about the topics dierectly and indirectly covered by this site as found via http://familycology.org . Note: Heraclitus was called "The Enigmatic", Gurdjieff said, "Bury the dog deeper", and so on. So I hope you and others here will read below the surface and between the lines as they enjoy my petard hoistings.

Regards, Yale@Better-Tymes.com

Edited by AnotherCrazyGuy
  • Like 1

The mentally ill need help, and I prefer professional help to folk stuff and religious mumbo-jumbo. I do agree, however, with the criticism of Freud. His contribution was not anything specific, but just making the field more scientific rather than superstitious. There has been a lot of progress since.

Psychiatry is still in its infancy. Some of the smartest people in this world are still struggling to figure out the exact mechanism of human brain, and they didn't even scratch the surface.

Well, I am kinda interested in simulation hypothesis. And from that perspective all those spiritual apparitions and things can be explained in a very different light. And this kind of reasoning will disturb both believers and skeptics alike.

I believe that science is the right way to understand how our universe works. But the history of modern science is virtually non-existent comparing to the history of anatomically-modern humans. Modern humans, with modern brains, have existed for about 100,000 years. And when did we start learning about our brain's mechanism? A few decades at most?

All human knowledge is in its infancy. So what?

Well, my point is that it's a very stupid idea to discard the merits of scientific approaches.

• Like 2

If it wasn't so emotionally personal to me what happened to a successful academic I looked up to, I would post the story. Psychiatry is "mumbo-jumbo", its a bunch of dangerous bull****. A patient should always have the right to refuse treatment. If you don't have sovereignty over your own god damn mind then what do you have? Nothing, nothing except a hospital gown and the treatment and respect that a criminal in a maximum security prison has. You guys are right in that we have just begun learning about the human mind/brain, and I'd rather we not know if the only way to get answers is through experimenting on innocent people.

Edited by Glorfindel

If it wasn't so emotionally personal to me what happened to a successful academic I looked up to, I would post the story. Psychiatry is "mumbo-jumbo", its a bunch of dangerous bull****. A patient should always have the right to refuse treatment. If you don't have sovereignty over your own god damn mind then what do you have? Nothing, nothing except a hospital gown and the treatment and respect that a criminal in a maximum security prison has. You guys are right in that we have just begun learning about the human mind/brain, and I'd rather we not know if the only way to get answers is through experimenting on innocent people.

OK then suggest us the right approach to those mental illnesses.

I think you are talking more about medical ethics than about psychiatry itself. I will say this, though -- if I were suffering from a form of paranoia that cause me too refuse appropriate medication, and were suffering as a result, I would appreciate it if there were legal procedures that compelled my treatment. That is the unfortunate nature of many mental diseases.

The mentally ill need help, and I prefer professional help to folk stuff and religious mumbo-jumbo. I do agree, however, with the criticism of Freud. His contribution was not anything specific, but just making the field more scientific rather than superstitious. There has been a lot of progress since.

Yes, there has been a lot of progress.

But as I pointed to in an earlier reply, also a lot ot of regress per http://healthcareorganizationalethics.blogspot.com/2011/06/marcia-angell-on-corruption-of-american.html?m=1 . That said, I suppose all this simply means that each of us -- whether we like it or not, have to decide on which bet we decide to make. For example, many psychiatrists have prescribed Risperdahl for all kinds of off-label conditions. But less so, now that some kind of professional sanity has prevailed per http://thomasjhenrylaw.com/practice-areas/drug-recalls-and-pharmaceutical-litigation/risperdal/ .

So if you want to give your complete trust to your psychiatrist go ahead. But God help you, Frank, (whatever "God" means and doesn't mean to you) if the side-effects end up being a bummer.

• Like 1

From my own experience, psychiatrists are all different. I mean, the really good ones are out there but they will definitely cost you money. If you are a poor guy with some medicare program then you are less likely to see a competent one. I was diagnosed with something very serious more than a decades ago, and now my current psychiatrist wonders if I have any kind of serious illness. Well, seriously I can understand them. It's really difficult to make the right diagnosis without extensive observation for a long period.

Certainly we don't have any fancy technology to simply scan the brain and diagnose it like some circuit board, Star Trek style. But I hope we will eventually get there. And...that's a form of psychiatry.

Well, there are people against vaccination, so why should I be troubled by people against psychiatry? Heh.

• Like 1

So Ron Jeremy, what is your suggestion? That all mental illnesses be generalized and that they all receive similar treatment? The unfortunate reality is there is a wide range of different illnesses one can develop. Many, like frontal lobe dementia for example, have no real effective treatment (the drugs still cause brain damage nonetheless which ultimately speeds up the progress of the illness), and yet the motor function and memories are kept in tact. So people with this illness for example, are totally aware of what is happening to them, that they are being experimented on, that their rights have been taken and their independence stripped, and they're confined away from the things they were passionate about and loved in life. Surely this system helps these people :-*. You are supporting a broken system that doesn't even attempt to give individual needs for each case, a system that will throw you out of the institution as soon as your health insurance is gone. A system that provokes people because they get bigger insurance payouts when the "patient" has a "conflict". A system where the employees are free to abuse the "patients" physically, emotionally and sexually because "no one believes the crazy person". A system that is closer to the prison industry than anything medical. Do we applaud the Nazi experiments? The Japanese ones? MK-Ultra? No we don't because society already knows its wrong, why is it all of a sudden alright as long as the victims are "insane"?

And yes Frank, you are largely correct in that I am criticising current medical ethics. But I have also yet to see repeatable tests and valid experiments demonstrating psychology to be a solid science.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Like 1

From my own experience, psychiatrists are all different. I mean, the really good ones are out there but they will definitely cost you money. If you are a poor guy with some medicare program then you are less likely to see a competent one. I was diagnosed with something very serious more than a decades ago, and now my current psychiatrist wonders if I have any kind of serious illness. Well, seriously I can understand them. It's really difficult to make the right diagnosis without extensive observation for a long period.

Certainly we don't have any fancy technology to simply scan the brain and diagnose it like some circuit board, Star Trek style. But I hope we will eventually get there. And...that's a form of psychiatry.

Well, there are people against vaccination, so why should I be troubled by people against psychiatry? Heh.

The bolded part right there should tell you how un-scienitifc psychology really is. Their diagnosis' are completely relative and there is NO solid brain science to support most diagnosis. But a wrong one isn't gonna stop them from pumping someone with drugs that will alter their minds even further in the wrong direction.

I think you are talking more about medical ethics than about psychiatry itself. I will say this, though -- if I were suffering from a form of paranoia that cause me too refuse appropriate medication, and were suffering as a result, I would appreciate it if there were legal procedures that compelled my treatment. That is the unfortunate nature of many mental diseases.

That's insane. The paranoia is justified, unless you really trust your doctor, and judging by corrupt state of the medical industry any blind trust could be your undoing. Enjoy your forced meds though.

• Like 3

I gotta say this. Probably the mod guy will nip this post but I gotta say this. I've read OP's testimony. And actually I had my fair share of encounters with people like him. To be honest, all of them have had some lengthy criminal records. And two days ago I read a news about a man who blew up his Lab dog because he believed that the dog was possessed.

I won't be surprised if I hear about any ghastly public crime driven by some voices in the head in Orange County anytime soon.

• Like 1

I gotta say this. Probably the mod guy will nip this post but I gotta say this. I've read OP's testimony. And actually I had my fair share of encounters with people like him. To be honest, all of them have had some lengthy criminal records. And two days ago I read a news about a man who blew up his Lab dog because he believed that the dog was possessed.

I won't be surprised if I hear about any ghastly public crime driven by some voices in the head in Orange County anytime soon.

You are generalizing mental illnesses and demonstrating your own ignorance on the topic. Many don't cause "voices in the head" but a lack of inhibition, personality changes, scattered thoughts and a loss of mental functioning they once had. People with mental illnesses are not more prone to criminality and some I've met were productive, high achieving members of society, some I've met were totally normal family oriented people before. Your comment is extremely offensive and inaccurate. There is nothing funny about it.

Just look at your own posts ffs. "I was diagnosed with something very serious more than a decades ago, and now my current psychiatrist wonders if I have any kind of serious illness. Well, seriously I can understand them. It's really difficult to make the right diagnosis without extensive observation for a long period."

So first you were diagnosed with something serious, now your current doctor doubts you even have an illness. Do you not understand that that first diagnosis could have destroyed your life in an instant? And now its in doubt? lol? Cognitive dissonance sounds like the proper diagnosis for you at this point.

Ron, have you finally retired and given your member a rest?

You are generalizing mental illnesses and demonstrating your own ignorance on the topic. Many don't cause "voices in the head" but a lack of inhibition, personality changes, scattered thoughts and a loss of mental functioning they once had. People with mental illnesses are not more prone to criminality and some I've met were productive, high achieving members of society, some I've met were totally normal family oriented people before. Your comment is extremely offensive and inaccurate. There is nothing funny about it.

Just look at your own posts ffs. "I was diagnosed with something very serious more than a decades ago, and now my current psychiatrist wonders if I have any kind of serious illness. Well, seriously I can understand them. It's really difficult to make the right diagnosis without extensive observation for a long period."

So first you were diagnosed with something serious, now your current doctor doubts you even have an illness. Do you not understand that that first diagnosis could have destroyed your life in an instant? And now its in doubt? lol? Cognitive dissonance sounds like the proper diagnosis for you at this point.

"Cognitive dissonance" isn't actually a diagnosis (should it be?). It's a state of perception ("Ronald Reagan is a god; he's also an ******* killing Nicaraguans and Salvadorans"). It might indicate mental illness, but is not a valid diagnosis. Someone said it earlier: A mental health designation can be more devastating than a criminal record or a series of bad job firings. I say this from experience. I tell few people of my 'diagnosis' of having a mood disorder, requiring daily medication (if I am to be given any credibility). It sucks.

Ron, have you finally retired and given your member a rest?

Well, I guess my current avatar is whole lot more likable and family-friendly than the last one. :devil:

• Like 1

Well, I guess my current avatar is whole lot more likable and family-friendly than the last one. :devil:

Just don't blow up any dogs there schizo.

Actually, schizophrenics are some of the best people who ever lived.