Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A significant Iron age settlement discovered

seeder

Ipplepen Iron Age settlement 'one of most significant' finds

An Iron Age settlement unearthed in Devon has been described as one of the most important finds of its kind.

It was prompted by the chance discovery of Roman coins in fields at Ipplepen, near Newton Abbot about four years ago.

Archaeologists, who have recently started examining the site, said it is the first of its kind in the county.

The excavation is being funded by the British Museum, Exeter University, the Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) and Devon County Council.

Sam Moorhead from the British Museum said he believed the Ipplepen site was "one of the most significant Roman discoveries in the country for many decades".

The site was discovered by local metal detector enthusiasts Jim Wills and Dennis Hewings, who contacted archaeologist Danielle Wootton, the Devon finds liaison officer for the PAS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-23733741

Gotta get me a metal detector....

• Like 2

I really like the way the British have so much interest in their pre-history. I think it may be partly because of the BBC and partly because modern British feel they may be descended from such, in spite of a couple of invasions, the invasions seem to have been limited to the ruling class.

Most of Vietnam was only recently occupied by Vietnamese, and there seems less interest in prior cultures, although at least they are being preserved.

• Like 2

I really like the way the British have so much interest in their pre-history. I think it may be partly because of the BBC and partly because modern British feel they may be descended from such, in spite of a couple of invasions, the invasions seem to have been limited to the ruling class.

Most of Vietnam was only recently occupied by Vietnamese, and there seems less interest in prior cultures, although at least they are being preserved.

Also, the laws on found treasure can be strict, where - if youre out metal detecting and find some coins and especially GOLD, you are required to report it to the local coroner, and thats where the archeologists get a of of their info about new sites.

So someone finds a few coins or a whole stash, the archeo's are alerted and often make a dig site, so in a way, Joe blogs and his son out metal detecting are in fact doing quite a service. Well the honest ones that is

Laws on Metal Detecting in the UK

The Treasure Act is a piece of legislation designed to deal with finds of treasure primarily those made by metal detectorists in England and Wales. It legally obliges finders of objects which constitute a legally defined term of treasure to report their find to their local coroner within fourteen days. An inquiry led by the coroner then determines whether the find constitutes treasure or not. If is declared to be treasure then the owner must offer the item for sale to a museum at a price set by an independent board of antiquities experts. Only if no museum expresses an interest in the item or is unable to purchase it can the owner retain it.

full law

http://www.dutp.org.uk/laws-on-detecting

• Like 3

Gotta get me a metal detector....

Go for it! They are good fun. I borrowed a friends for a few days a while ago. My first day exploring I found nuts, bolts, old beer cans and a horse-shoe. Thinking the horseshoe would bring me luck I ventured forth the next day.... and found three more horseshoes. (seriously) lol

p.s. I think you need a lot of luck, and perseverance, to find anything of real interest.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Go for it! They are good fun. I borrowed a friends for a few days a while ago. My first day exploring I found nuts, bolts, old beer cans and a horse-shoe. Thinking the horseshoe would bring me luck I ventured forth.... and found three more horseshoes. (seriously) lol

he yeh I know Ive been saying it for a long time too! A mate who lived near the coast would do the beaches, finding mostly up to date money, jewelry and some old stuff too. But its about £300 for decent one (if you believe the enthusiasts), where you can allegedly discriminate a find before digging, so not having to dig if the meter shows its a old bit of iron for example.

But then I guess youd miss a potential lot of 'iron aged' finds that way! But we do have stories, a couple anyway, where chaps have found stashes of gold coins which made them millionaires - so its very tempting to do

• Like 1

But its about £300 for decent one

I just searched Amazon to see how much they cost and came across.... 'Treasure Seekers Metal Detecting Sandals'!!!!! (Sandals with a built-in metal detector) LOL

I'd post a link but it's against forum rules to link to a shop.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

I just searched Amazon to see how much they cost and came across.... 'Treasure Seekers Metal Detecting Sandals'!!!!! LOL

I'd post a link but it's against forum rules to link to a shop.

Well I guess sandals are better than a pair of steel toed workboots, which will give you a beep with every step! :lol: Im a welly man myself when it comes to mud and fields tho

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

If I could go back and do it all over, I think I would get into Archeology.....No, I know I would.

• Like 3

I hate to think of the stuff I've lost on beaches.

hehe my buddy says he usually finds about £20 spendable money on a beach session, mostly pound coins...so even if you dont find a gold necklace someone lost, at least you earn your beer money for when the day is over!

But yeh beaches must be a good place after a hot weekend with all the visitors...

• Like 1