Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

MPs banned from eating scrambled eggs

Still Waters

MPs were at the centre of a new food scare last night after the Commons banned traditional scrambled eggs and omelettes – because they are ‘too dangerous’.

Chefs at the House of Commons are now forbidden to make two of the most popular light meals in Britain with fresh eggs on the grounds that they could be contaminated with salmonella or other bugs.

MPs at Westminster can still order scrambled egg or omelette, but they will be made with liquid pasteurised egg from Holland instead.

http://www.dailymail...mbled-eggs.html

oh Mr Fawkes, where are you when we need you....?

they should be more concerned with being pelted with eggs rather than eating them, as a certain Mr Milliband will attest to, but they obviously don't realise that banning eggs in parliament just gives us more ammunition outside of it.

silly mummy's boys.....

• Like 5

It doesn't make clear who decided on this absurdity; it says "A Commons spokeswoman", so does that mean it was the house of Commons itself that decided it? it sounds very much like another of these stories where either "Brussels" or "Health & Safety" get blamed, but it turns out it's some absurd little jobsworth within their own organisation interpreting guidelines ludicrously over-zealously once again.

• Like 2

but... scrambled eggs cooked properly should be well outside of the temperature danger zone*! just how runny are they cooking these things normally?

*i wish i had more opportunities to use my serv-safe certification

• Like 1

If there was one group that noone'd care if they got gastro, it'd be the self-serving politicians.

• Like 2

I'd be less surprised at the news that politicians had been banned from eating pork - it borders on cannibalism!

• Like 3

If the eggs are properly washed at the farm, properly cooked before serving and there is correct food handling, it's rarely a problem.

A story from my long ago high school days: Our chemistry teacher, who was a tiny, wiry bald-headed guy once told the class that he couldn't wait for lunch, his wife had made him a tongue sandwich. Someone in the class asked what that was and he said, "It's made from cow's tongue, and it's delicious!" There was sort of a collected "Ewwww" from the class so he asked, "What's the matter with that?" The students replied, "Ewwww, you eat something that comes out of an animal's mouth?" The chemistry teacher wryly replied, "You eat eggs, don't you?"

Good point!

• Like 1

If the eggs are properly washed at the farm, properly cooked before serving and there is correct food handling, it's rarely a problem.

A story from my long ago high school days: Our chemistry teacher, who was a tiny, wiry bald-headed guy once told the class that he couldn't wait for lunch, his wife had made him a tongue sandwich. Someone in the class asked what that was and he said, "It's made from cow's tongue, and it's delicious!" There was sort of a collected "Ewwww" from the class so he asked, "What's the matter with that?" The students replied, "Ewwww, you eat something that comes out of an animal's mouth?" The chemistry teacher wryly replied, "You eat eggs, don't you?"

Good point!

lol at your high school pals!!

And I agree with your former teacher: picked cow tongue is delicious!

lol at your high school pals!!

And I agree with your former teacher: picked cow tongue is delicious!

Never had the pleasure myself, it just doesn't moooove me, lol!

nice to see you back Ealdwita!

hope you've took some photos....?

:-)

Thanks shrooma. Photos on their way soonest.

• Like 1

Why do they have to import the eggs from Holland?...nobody makes pasteurized liquid eggs in the UK?

i should hope not. Sounds ghastly. Does it include any actual Egg, i wonder, or is it all made from lovely healthy artificial ingredients in a factory in the Hague?

• Like 1