Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bergman's Bear

LibGeek

b - there have been a few apparent sightings

None as far as I'm aware. Where are your references please?

• 2 weeks later...

They evidence is scant, to say the least. For a population of regular unknown bears to exist in Kamchatka, I would expect many more sightings and prints.

so then it's more likely to be a giant,hyrax,were-beast!?!? i have to say, i do enjoy reading your hyrax theories...
  • Like 1

so then it's more likely to be a giant,hyrax,were-beast!?!? i have to say, i do enjoy reading your hyrax theories...

Hyrax theories?

Hyrax theories?

It seems that a certain user sort of equates hyrax to a magical stop gap for basically any cryptid type of situation, as can be seen in this thread. I came across references to this hyraxism in comments on older threads from at least a couple years past and am delighted to find modern incarnations.

I think the sort of motivation/justification for this is that the hyrax is a relatively small animal, but is more closely related to elephants than rodents. So, in very fuzzy theory, it could have the DNA to make a very large animal as a sort of atavism, even though they are in all known scientific incarnations not big at all.

wiki hyrax: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyrax

• Like 1

It is artwork created specifically for a fantasy roleplaying game, I don't even think the person is human, and can't really be used to suggest it is an artist representation of anything real. Kodiak bears can have hind paws of 18", so the Bergman's Bear may be larger than other Kamchatka brown bears, but smaller than Kodiak bears, certainly not twice the height of a person at the shoulder.

The bear is a dire bear, and the person is a wood/wild elf. Dire animals are very common in D&D.

Edited by Papagiorgio

It seems that a certain user sort of equates hyrax to a magical stop gap for basically any cryptid type of situation, as can be seen in this thread. I came across references to this hyraxism in comments on older threads from at least a couple years past and am delighted to find modern incarnations.

I think the sort of motivation/justification for this is that the hyrax is a relatively small animal, but is more closely related to elephants than rodents. So, in very fuzzy theory, it could have the DNA to make a very large animal as a sort of atavism, even though they are in all known scientific incarnations not big at all.

wiki hyrax: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyrax

ive been enjoying his theories for years. the hyrax is making a comeback....there was a time it was the explanation for every bigfoot/dogman/werewolf thread.