Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UM Band Room

_Only

I finally finished my first full length song. I built it around a single riff I made back in high school that I always called 'the hair metal riff'. All of the lead guitar parts and harmonies were created and produced tonight in one sitting. It just poured right out.

[media=]

[/media]

Ah, someone's been hiding their light under a bushel! Had no idea you were so versatile, excellent recording.

Some really good stuff in this thread. MedicTJ is UM's very own resident guitar god!

Here's a few of my messings abouts. nothing serious just having a bit of fun with my guitars and computer. If anyone wants to throw some of thier own noises over the top of them feel free to do so. I apologise for my sloppy playing. I just press record, play and see what comes out, then add tracks over the top.

http://www.soundclic...1&q=hi&newref=1

http://www.soundclic...8&q=hi&newref=1

http://www.soundclic...5&q=hi&newref=1

http://www.soundclic...2&q=hi&newref=1

I really enjoyed all four. 'Flight of the Space Monkey' has such a wonderful drifty feel to it. And 'Soaring High'... wow.... that tune's soaked in pure Floyd! Well done!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is starting to hurt my feelings so I probably won't be posting anything else. Sorry if I wasted your time.

I admit I didn't listen to the songs until now, as I've been busy with my own selfish interests the past few days, but I like the sound you create. The first reminds me of Type O Negative a bit, but the second is classic Barnabas. I sat here for a fe wminutes trying to find a word to describe how I see it and almost gave up, until the perfect word hit me: macabre! Then I looked up macabre, and it sounds a bit dark, so I change it to light hearted grim songs, with a tinge of mystery and suspense.

I hope that description makes sense, as I feel satisfied that I was able to find the words to translate my listening experience.

I noticed the drums were very good, but being a drummer, I would always imagine how these songs would sound with my individual drumming style stapled to it. If there is any way to get a copy of your tracks without drums, I would love to take a stab at recording to them. I have been gaining a bit of confidence with the drums as these months have passed.

Here's an example of a collaboration I've done this past month with someone who saw my videos on YouTube. He offered me to add some drums to his song.

His old demo:

And our collaboration:

Doing this kind of stuff is fun, and I am game if you are.

• Like 1

Not everyone comments around here, Barnabas. That doesn't mean we don't enjoy your music. I find your music interesting. Don't give up posting here!

The awkward silence would seem to suggest my last recording was somewhat weaker than I realized. My apologies.

Being a most persistent individual, I shall present an alternate selection...

[media=]http://ravensblight.com/storage/TimeShark.mp3[/media]

I love them. Good work. And I agree with Star. Personally, I never/rarely check music threads. I just clicked on your profile and saw your posts. But yeah...awesome work there. I would love to hear more.

This is starting to hurt

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like that too sometimes. There have been times where I was like ...?WTF no comments or likes or anything? What really bothers me is when you know certain people see them/hear them and still nothing....ouch. Its all good though my talented friend...

Would rapping count?

Would rapping count?

It's music, right?

Here's a mashup I made using Daft Punk and the Beastie Boys to break that ice. A computer is one of my main instruments.

[media=]

[/media]

I also wanted to share this little song I made over a year ago, before I reacquired all of the instruments I used to play. I made it on a guitar tablature writing program, Guitar Pro 5, that lets you basically key in songs just as if you were writing them on paper, and then are able to play your song sheets in MIDI. I started trying to do 'Christian Woman' by Type O Negative, and I went off on a tangent, ending up with this:

https://soundcloud.com/only-8/redemption

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

It's music, right?

Here's a mashup I made using Daft Punk and the Beastie Boys to break that ice. A computer is one of my main instruments.

[media=]

[/media]

I also wanted to share this little song I made over a year ago, before I reacquired all of the instruments I used to play. I made it on a guitar tablature writing program, Guitar Pro 5, that lets you basically key in songs just as if you were writing them on paper, and then are able to play your song sheets in MIDI. I started trying to do 'Christian Woman' by Type O Negative, and I went off on a tangent, ending up with this:

https://soundcloud.c...ly-8/redemption

Some of it is XD

I like the mashup! Especially around 2:30! The soundcloud link is "empty" though, no sound on my end :(

• 2 months later...

Here's a vid from when I used to play in a band called Emerald City. We were based out of Syracuse, NY.

Video was shot at Harborfest in Oswego, NY. We opened up for Lou Gramm that night.

Original song: One Shot

Members in video:

Jon Celi - Vocals

Joe McSweeney - Guitar,Vocals

Dee - Bass guitar

Gary Holland (Original drummer from Great White) - Drums, Vocals

William Blanchard (me) - Keyboards, Vocals

Definitely one of the more talented bunch of guys I've played with over the years. I left the band because they were heading in a different artistic direction that what I had originally signed up for. Gary Holland left the band shortly thereafter. Jon, Joe and D are still going strong locally.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6pa3NXh-yQ

Something I came up with tonight..

Hey, if you ever want to track a song together, let me know. That's what this thread is kind of for, too. Just send me a guitar audio mp3 or other high quality track, and I would love to put drums to it. This goes for every one here.

Here's a vid from when I used to play in a band called Emerald City. We were based out of Syracuse, NY.

Video was shot at Harborfest in Oswego, NY. We opened up for Lou Gramm that night.

Original song: One Shot

Members in video:

Jon Celi - Vocals

Joe McSweeney - Guitar,Vocals

Dee - Bass guitar

Gary Holland (Original drummer from Great White) - Drums, Vocals

William Blanchard (me) - Keyboards, Vocals

Definitely one of the more talented bunch of guys I've played with over the years. I left the band because they were heading in a different artistic direction that what I had originally signed up for. Gary Holland left the band shortly thereafter. Jon, Joe and D are still going strong locally.

[media=]

[/media]

Awesome music, man! Good work.

Hey, if you ever want to track a song together, let me know. That's what this thread is kind of for, too. Just send me a guitar audio mp3 or other high quality track, and I would love to put drums to it. This goes for every one here.

That could possibly be arranged. Let me PM you sometime soon.

This is a song "Questions" from a three-piece band "Wizard" I was in in the 1970's. Not a great recording, but we broke up before we did any studio work. I'm the bass player, the guitar player is the vocalist. .

Just thought I'd include it here as its a an example of my musical experience, plus it brings back memories

• Like 3

This is a song "Questions" from a three-piece band "Wizard" I was in in the 1970's. Not a great recording, but we broke up before we did any studio work. I'm the bass player, the guitar player is the vocalist. .

Just thought I'd include it here as its a an example of my musical experience, plus it brings back memories

[media=]

[/media]

That's nice to have such a good recording from the '70's, and be able to have it on YouTube. It really does sound good.

The double bass drums, SG, and long hair just screams POWER TRIO! Heh

edit: The bass at 2:10 is my favorite part. I love a good bass driven side stroll in the middle of a song. It reminds me of Cliff Burton a bit.

Edited by _Only

Here's a new mashup I made of Stairway To Heaven and various other songs. I decided to go for a concept mashup this time around, using any number of songs besides Stairway, but all had to be involving the Sun. Here's 'Stairway To The Sun':

And here's me drumming to some Megadeth. I just think it's cool: