Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could You Survive the End of the Universe?

Still Waters

" If you had a sweet space ship ,it almost seems like you would be safer then, than now."

ah , there it is ... in concept any place you stand would be subject to the field of effect of the last black hole .

increase at the square of the distance ( as you get closer ) .... so you can never get near it....

but also the issue of time .

as long as you are in time space... there is time .

...or... change is time , your being is change ... so time continues.

time space can not "reset" as long as you are in there , looking at that last black hole...

and that hole is doing nothing but pulling you into it .

unless you jump out of time/space...into a diffrent dimension... the end can not happen with you still there.

Well, if you read about the Heat Death of the Universe, the end only comes after the last black hole has evaporated, which would take roughly 10^100 years. So, really, aside from MAYBE some rocky bodies/planets that avoided being reduced to more simple structures there is just not going to be a lot around to damage you in that theory. All the highly energetic particles have settled into a state of basically no energy. Everything is calm and serene... and really, quite boring.

Now, obviously no one actually knows how the universe will die, and honestly, the Heat Death is a pretty old theory as far as these things go, so I expect as science keeps sciencing we will get more likely theories that differ from this one and are probably more likely.

But, it is a nice talking point, for sure.

Edited by cacoseraph
  • Like 2

the path being walked is the nature of time/space itself.

if awareness is a result of a interface of eternity/time/change-energy .... and the dimension infinity/ space/ location-mass = god / reality/ awareness

a dimension is defined as that which has at least these three qualitys 1) and infinite quality / a base quality / and a finite quality ....

as a general rule ... the finite quality x infinite will be its infinite quality.... and as a general rule , the base does not change the quality it measures

the heat death or ev

Well, if you read about the Heat Death of the Universe, the end only comes after the last black hole has evaporated, which would take roughly 10^100 years. Everything is calm and serene... and really, quite boring.

But, it is a nice talking point, for sure.

conservation of motion/energy is not very friendly to heat death...

frankly speaking... which do you honestly think is close to the truth....

1) it blooms out untill there is a still quiet pond.... and nothing changes for eternity ...

2) the fire turns to ash , the ash turns to dirt , the dirt turns into a tree , the tree bursts into flame and fire .... repeat ...

the heat death or ev

1) it blooms out untill there is a still quiet pond.... and nothing changes for eternity ...

2) the fire turns to ash , the ash turns to dirt , the dirt turns into a tree , the tree bursts into flame and fire .... repeat ...

My guess number one but I wouldn't rule out number two

had you asked me that thirty years ago I would have answered Yes I will survive the end of the universe, I will sit on a hill side and watch it all go away except for me. Having grown up somewhat in those last thirty years ( at least I assume it is because I grew up and learned what reality is.) I will say,... No not only would I Not survive, but I would not want to.....

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 2

the heat death or ev

If 2) implies repeat ad infinitum I would have to go with anything else.

How is 1) so hard to accept? It doesn't affect you personally, the long boring end would be grillions of years away. Entropy must increase in a closed system. The laws of thermodynamics have served very well so far. And, so far, we have no evidence of the universe not being closed. NO EVIDENCE. Plenty of hippies have plenty of theories and I readily grant on this side of the fence that kind of stuff flies... but I choose to believe what there is good, repeatable evidence for, not what makes me most happy.

• Like 1

There is no evidence that the vacuum itself originated at the Big Bang. Quantum fluctuations exist everywhere. All it would take is the extremely rare tunneling event of enough positive virtual particles to tunnel from anywhere else to a single point to create a Big Bang. We already know that it is possible for a subatomic particle to emerge anywhere in the universe, we already know that there is a virtual sea of particles in any piece of space. All thee variables are there for an extrmely rare but non zero event to create a universe.

Now to survive the end of it? I suppose a race of beings would have to become super intelligent. At this stage of consciousness this race would essentially be totally connected and would resemble one entity. This godlike entity would then use its highly evolve intelligence to inseminate other universes with its consciousness maby forming and embronic stage of itself or simply expending into it. Or it might decide to create another universe by manipulating probabilities or simply waiting for one to show up, then like all life it would create itself anew. If this were possible its already been done with previous universes, and we are the products of the continued existence. :)

I... forgot which side of the fence I was posting on. I'll leave you all to your merry :)

if hyperinflation model is correct space must have been created as the same time as matter as there is no other way to explain faster than light expansion

Edited by spacecowboy342
  • Like 2

This all really groovy and philosophical. But end of the universe would also mean end of everything in that universe.

SO by that, no, its impossible to survive the end of the universe, because we are in the universe.

• Like 2

This all assumes the universe will have an end. The most common prediction with scientific support is that the expansion will accelerate until sometime (within an order of magnitude of the present time, or maybe one order greater) the acceleration will reach down to our size ranges and the planets and then soon afterward even the atoms will explode in a near-infinite race away from each other. It is hard to imagine anyone surviving that, no matter how advanced.

Earlier, before the acceleration of the expansion was discovered, the "end" of the universe was the heat death, where entropy gets so great that there i no way to get useful energy from it. The thing is, the universe approaches that state more and more slowly and never quite gets there, and a number of schemes for continued existence of life in a steadily slowing state were proposed. It was also proposed that maybe the raw energy of space-time could be tapped.

Whether or not one wants to live essentially forever would I suppose depend on the details of the nature of that life.

This all really groovy and philosophical. But end of the universe would also mean end of everything in that universe.

SO by that, no, its impossible to survive the end of the universe, because we are in the universe.

Well it is not too hard to imagine leaving the universe and going to a different one.
  • Like 1

This all assumes the universe will have an end. The most common prediction with scientific support is that the expansion will accelerate until sometime (within an order of magnitude of the present time, or maybe one order greater) the acceleration will reach down to our size ranges and the planets and then soon afterward even the atoms will explode in a near-infinite race away from each other. It is hard to imagine anyone surviving that, no matter how advanced.

Earlier, before the acceleration of the expansion was discovered, the "end" of the universe was the heat death, where entropy gets so great that there i no way to get useful energy from it. The thing is, the universe approaches that state more and more slowly and never quite gets there, and a number of schemes for continued existence of life in a steadily slowing state were proposed. It was also proposed that maybe the raw energy of space-time could be tapped.

Whether or not one wants to live essentially forever would I suppose depend on the details of the nature of that life.

Well it is not too hard to imagine leaving the universe and going to a different one.

I think much depends on the properties of dark energy which we don't understand well enough yet. Still heat death seems like close enough to an end for me. How would you propose leaving this universe assuming there is anywhere else to go?

That's assuming there are other universes and that if there are they're reachable.

And are not approaching their end as well. Would be ironic were we to escape this universe just before the end and find the same situation where ever we ended up
  • Like 1

That's Bugs Bunny enough to be possible

Or that in the new universe the values for dark energy were higher so that galaxies never formed. Maybe I'm a pessimist

by definition, I agree

I don't think we'd be here if the universe came to an end ..everything would probably explode

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it will matter by that stage of the game. Live the life you have here and now and we'll 'cross that bridge when we come it' ok?

Someone must come up with a plan to save the Internet. For that may be the only way that at least our memories and culture may survive.

(I'm sorta joking, but surely it's plausible?)

If anything could be recreated again and again, including humans, then we dont matter. There are many copies of Earth and humans and all animals all over the universe, and in other universes and dimensions. If so, our actions, lifes, feelings, wars, culture, politics, are just as significant as a single grain of sand on the beach.

If "God" placed life and humans on other planets as well, then we dont matter.

However, if there is no life other than Earth, then we are unique... and nothing like humans will ever exist.

Sadly, no. :no:

I use to see no way out of the postulated heat death of the universe. Now I realize that energy is not destroyed, just given high entropy so that it becomes unusable. In the meantime there is perhaps no end of available energy in the structure of space/time that we could tap. This looks to me a way out.

However, as soon as physics gives us this, we discover the acceleration of the universe's expansion -- and, worse, that the energy of the acceleration is increasing toward its natural number that is really big. Right now we don't notice the expansion much because gravity and chemical bonds are much stronger, but if present trends continue a time will come when that is no longer the case and even the atoms will explode.

Dr. Kaku states that the way to survive an event like the end of the Universe is creating a pocket Universe or pocket dimension.

• Like 1