Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Expedition 36 Trio Returning Home

Waspie_Dwarf

Expedition 36 Trio Says Farewell, Closes Hatches

Expedition 36 crew members Pavel Vinogradov, Chris Cassidy and Alexander Misurkin have said farewell to their crewmates. They closed the hatches between the International Space Station and the Soyuz TMA-08M spacecraft at 4:19 p.m. EDT. They are conducting leak checks and putting on their Sokol pressure suits.

The day before, Vinogradov handed over control of the station to Flight Engineer Fyodor Yurchikhin in a traditional Change of Command Ceremony in the Zvezda service module. Yurchikhin will take over command and officially lead Expedition 37 when Expedition 36 undocks at 7:35 p.m. They are scheduled for a Kazakhstan landing at 10:58 p.m. (8:58 a.m. Wednesday Kazakhstan time).

arrow3.gifRead more...

Expedition 36 crew members Pavel Vinogradov, Chris Cassidy and Alexander Misurkin said farewell to their crewmates Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2013. They closed the hatches between the International Space Station and the Soyuz TMA-08M spacecraft at 4:19 p.m. EDT. They conducted leak checks and put on their Sokol pressure suits.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Expedition 36 Trio Leaves Station, Heads Home

Expedition 36 crew members Pavel Vinogradov, Chris Cassidy and Alexander Misurkin are on their way home. The trio undocked from the Poisk mini-research module in their Soyuz TMA-08M spacecraft Tuesday at 7:35 p.m. EDT. They are scheduled for a Kazakhstan landing at 10:58 p.m. (8:58 a.m. Wednesday Kazakhstan time). Landing coverage begins at 9:45 p.m on NASA TV.

> Watch NASA TV

arrow3.gifRead more...

Expedition 36 crew members Pavel Vinogradov, Chris Cassidy and Alexander Misurkin are on their way home. The trio undocked from the Poisk mini-research module in their Soyuz TMA-08M spacecraft Tuesday at 7:35 p.m. EDT. They are scheduled for a Kazakhstan landing at 10:58 p.m.

Expedition 36 Trio Lands in Kazakhstan

Expedition 36 crew members Pavel Vinogradov, Chris Cassidy and Alexander Misurkin landed in Kazakhstan at 10:58 p.m. Tuesday (8:58 a.m. Kazakhstan time Wednesday). The trio undocked from the Poisk mini-research module in their Soyuz TMA-08M spacecraft at 7:37 p.m. EDT, ending a 5-and-a-half month stay at the International Space Station.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Last leg of the Journey

After rentering Earth's atmosphere, Expedition 36 Commander Pavel Vinogradov and Flight Engineer Alexander Misurkin of the Russian Federal Space Agency and NASA Flight Engineer Chris Cassidy landed safely on the steppe of Kazakhstan on Sept. 11. The trio completed 166 days in space.

166 days in a cramped pressurized tube surrounded by a radiation filled vaccum,my inner claustrophobe's worst nightmare... but my inner explorers earnest hope.

• Like 1

166 days in a cramped pressurized tube surrounded by a radiation filled vaccum,my inner claustrophobe's worst nightmare... but my inner explorers earnest hope.

It's not exactly cramped:

The complex now has more livable room than a conventional five-bedroom house, and has two bathrooms, a gymnasium and a 360-degree bay window.
ISS has an internal pressurized volume of 32,333 cubic feet, or equal that of a Boeing 747.

Source: NASA, International Space Station, Facts and Figures

And, as it orbits below the Van Allen Belts, it's not surrounded by dangerous levels of radiation either.

I don't suppose that there are many submariners that wouldn't be envious of the conditions on board.

It's not exactly cramped:

Source: NASA, International Space Station, Facts and Figures

And, as it orbits below the Van Allen Belts, it's not surrounded by dangerous levels of radiation either.

I don't suppose that there are many submariners that wouldn't be envious of the conditions on board.

I'm 6' 4", everything is cramped to me! :)

Expedition 36 Returns Safely

Expedition 36 Commander Pavel Vinogradov and Flight Engineer Alexander Misurkin of the Russian Federal Space Agency and NASA Flight Engineer Chris Cassidy were treated to a traditional ceremony at the airport in Karaganda, Kazakhstan, on Sept. 11, hours after landing in their Soyuz TMA-08M spacecraft in Kazakhstan.