Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baby elephant would not stop crying

F3SS

I think elephants are awesome so I wanted to share this.

THIS BABY ELEPHANT WOULD NOT STOP CRYING AFTER BEING REJECTED BY HIS MOM

A baby elephant in China reportedly cried for hours after his mom rejected him days after birth, according to a UK newspaper.

The elephant, Zhuang-Zhuang, wept non-stop for five hours after his mother abandoned him, Metro reported.

Zookeepers initially thought it was an accident when his mom trampled him, so they tended to his wounds and reunited the two.

However, the mother elephant then began stomping on her son again and the decision was made to separate the two.

"The calf was very upset and he was crying for five hours before he could be consoled," one worker said.

"He couldn't bear to be parted from his mother and it was his mother who was trying to kill him," the worker added.

The baby elephant has now been adopted by the keeper who saved him at a wild animal reserve in China.

"They have made a good bond," said a spokesperson for the park. "We don't know why the mother turned on her calf but we couldn't take a chance."

http://www.theblaze....ejected-by-mom/

Glad the mother didn't kill him.

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image
  • Like 2

What a heart breaker....glad the little dude is going to be ok. On occasion, we humans can be pretty handy to have around. I hope he finds a good herd to join at a zoo when he is a little older.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 4

I feel so sorry for the baby, wonder if the mother is suffering from postpartum depression?

• Like 2

Aww i saw this on ninemsn, its so sad. Poor little thing, i wonder if his Mother changes her mind? Or maybe another elephant will take him under her wing?

• Like 1

Elephants can adopt humans as their mother figures, so that caretaker will likely become his new momma. Its a big responsibility though- they get attached, and want you to sleep with them every night and always be around. They can actually get so depressed if their human mother leaves for a week or so that they just die.

I saw this too. They said sometimes a mother elephant will reject her newborn calf, apparently it's not that unusual. very sad when something like this happens especially when she was harming it.The poor wee thing, so cute too.

There's a video in this link -

http://www.csmonitor...n-unusual-video

• Like 2

I feel so sorry for the baby, wonder if the mother is suffering from postpartum depression?

I doubt it since she tried to stomp him to death twice.

• Like 1

Some animals don't have very good mother instincts, just like some humans....

Cows do this. Sometimes animals don't understand that the labor was the only way to get the baby out, and it is not the baby's fault. All they know is that it caused them pain, and they don't want anything to do with it.

I wonder if there is something wrong with him and the mother can sense it? Maybe something the veterinarians have not yet discovered?

In nature, the herd thins out the weak...maybe he has a defect or something? Just wondering.

Elephants are very tight knit groups...they look out for and take care of each other...so something must be wrong somewhere.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2

I wonder if there is something wrong with him and the mother can sense it? Maybe something the veterinarians have not yet discovered?

In nature, the herd thins out the weak...maybe he has a defect or something? Just wondering.

Elephants are very tight knit groups...they look out for and take care of each other...so something must be wrong somewhere.

I've seen cows do this after giving birth. All they know is the calf caused them pain, and they don't want anything to do with it. With, cows though, you can work with them, and get them to take the calf, and let it nurse. I don't think they have shoots in the wild though.... :)

Given how Elephants are purportedly very smart and have long memories to boot - it's possible the mom has decided a life born and lived in captivity is not a life worth living for her kid.

• Like 2

OMG that is so sad. I guess some Elephants have crazy mothers too. I hope the best for the little fella.

Given how Elephants are purportedly very smart and have long memories to boot - it's possible the mom has decided a life born and lived in captivity is not a life worth living for her kid.

Or perhaps the Mom's past has left her psychotic? Animals can suffer from mental illnesses as well.

• Like 1

I think elephants are awesome so I wanted to share this.

Glad the mother didn't kill him.

I saw this news before. It seems like the Mother Elephant did not want her son to live in captivity...She don't want her son to experience the same what she is going through....So sad :(