Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

107 Yr Old Man Killed By SWAT Team

susieice

I wonder what could have brought this on. FOX news says he displayed a gun to 2 people at the home. CNN did not give an explanation. He just wouldn't stop shooting.

http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

Edited by susieice

I wonder if it will eventually come to light that he was a veteran, and in his mind thought the swat team were Japanese or nazis. I find it impossible that this situation could not have been resolved without killing him when he was holed up in his bedroom, and could not have harmed other people. Swat guys must be really proud of themselves, almost as good as shooting kids I guess.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik
  • Like 1

The SWAT members will be given a hearty pat on the back for a job well done while everyone else is left to pick up the shattered pieces.

Same as always....sad.

• Like 2

Well in defense of the swattys

he WAS shooting, its not an ideal situation, but that old guy dying is better than an errant bullet hurting or killing a bystander or more

• Like 1

Just an update. This apparently upset a lot of people. The 2 people who were in the house at the time said they were there to help the man move and he was upset although he had seemed happy about it before this happened. I think dementia could have had something to do with this considering the man's age. Doesn't really say where they were moving him to.

http://abclocal.go.c...orld&id=9247829

The report will be closed to the public for now by a judge's order.

Edited by susieice

I wonder if it will eventually come to light that he was a veteran, and in his mind thought the swat team were Japanese or nazis. I find it impossible that this situation could not have been resolved without killing him when he was holed up in his bedroom, and could not have harmed other people. Swat guys must be really proud of themselves, almost as good as shooting kids I guess.

Yeah, he was just threatening people with guns, it's not like he shot anyone.

Hmm... what would you all get prissy about more?

"107 Year Old Shot by Police"

or

"7 Year Old Dead by Stray Fire As Cops Looked On"

Thought so.

• Like 1

Hmm... what would you all get prissy about more?

"107 Year Old Shot by Police"

or

"7 Year Old Dead by Stray Fire As Cops Looked On"

Thought so.

But he was in his bedroom and the area cleared of bystanders. Well I suppose chucking teargas through his window is not as exciting as killing him. Is this the default positiion for Americans, to kill and kill and kill.

• Like 1

But he was in his bedroom and the area cleared of bystanders. Well I suppose chucking teargas through his window is not as exciting as killing him. Is this the default positiion for Americans, to kill and kill and kill.

I'm sorry, was he incapable of sticking his gun out of a window and blind firing? Or lifting his gun up and blowing the brains out of a SWAT officer as he stepped in a room?

If your an officer, your job is to protect civilians and the men around you. If a suspect has a firearms, you don't sit back and think "Huh, is it loaded?", because when you do that, somebody your supposed to protect dies.

As if you would do any better in that situation, armchair general bull****.

I'm sorry, was he incapable of sticking his gun out of a window and blind firing? Or lifting his gun up and blowing the brains out of a SWAT officer as he stepped in a room?

If your an officer, your job is to protect civilians and the men around you. If a suspect has a firearms, you don't sit back and think "Huh, is it loaded?", because when you do that, somebody your supposed to protect dies.

I think a family member would have done a better job than SWAT.

• Like 1

I think a family member would have done a better job than SWAT.

Yes, assuming you could get any over there. This is usually what tends to happen, but happy endings don't make the news.

Having seen war close up and in all it's gore, yes

And having some experience in internal security as well....

Edited by Kaa-Tzik

Yes, assuming you could get any over there. This is usually what tends to happen, but happy endings don't make the news.

And assuming the guy wouldn't just shoot his family down. Police can't take that risk...

(But some happy endings make the news)

Having seen war close up and in all it's gore, yes

And having some experience in internal security as well....

Then you off all people shouldn't act like like this was some rash decision done on a whim. Even if we're just a bunch of stupid, bloodthirsty Americans.

Then you off all people shouldn't act like like this was some rash decision done on a whim. Even if we're just a bunch of stupid, bloodthirsty Americans.

One guy in the UK was shot for carrying a chair leg in public, and there have been other incidents. I do not trust the police to know what they are doing with fire arms. And these are your words, not mine "Even if we're just a bunch of stupid, bloodthirsty Americans". I simply asked if it was the default position of Americans to kill, as it does seem to be, particulary the propensity for blue on blue over the years. You seem rather touchy about this, but that is your affair and I have no interest having a yah boo contest.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik

8419" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="254301" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic">

One guy in the UK was shot for carrying a chair leg in public, and there have been other incidents. I do not trust the police to know what they are doing with fire arms. And these are your words, not mine "Even if we're just a bunch of stupid, bloodthirsty Americans". I simply asked if it was the default position of Americans to kill, as it does seem to be, particulary the propensity for blue on blue over the years. You seem rather touchy about this, but that is your affair and I have no interest having a yah boo contest.

No, killing is a last ditch effort. A lot of people are investing on finding non lethals, even without the fancy stuff SWAT usually carries beanbag and pepper rounds.

Nice example here:

No, killing is a last ditch effort. A lot of people are investing on finding non lethals, even without the fancy stuff SWAT usually carries beanbag and pepper rounds.

Nice example here:

I have to wonder how this 107 yo man got ahold of a gun to begin with. Not much information is available. It doesn't say who's home he was living in. Only that it was a temporary arrangement.

• Like 1

People are defending the old man? He shot through the door at something he automatically perceived as a threat, therefore, registering himself as a dangerous, armed man. He's 107 years old, so his mentality at the moment could of been affected, but still. HE FIRED AT RANDOM.

I hate police brutality and unjustified killing as much as the next citizen, but this is not a case of that. This man was a threat and could and clearly was attempting to kill someone.

Edited by Shrine Builder
  • Like 1

In old Japan there was a sort of police force. One of their tasks was to disarm Samurai who had gone beserk and were attacking people with their swords. It would have been easy to have simply shot them, from when firearms became available in Japan, but they weren't, instead the "police" got the Samurai to attack them and slash at them. They had a device like a pitchfork that would trap the blades and snap them. Then they could arrest the Samurai. Today we hear accounts of mentally disturbed people slashing, or trying to slash at people in the street with swords. In nearly all the accounts I have read the outcome is that the attacker is shot as that is the easy option. Sometimes this may in fact be the only option, but it is the only way these situations are dealt with. A certain lack of imagination I think, and one more step closer to the nightmare world of Judge Dread. 107 year old man versus a swat team, I bet they all neded a change of underwear after that tough mission....

In old Japan there was a sort of police force. One of their tasks was to disarm Samurai who had gone beserk and were attacking people with their swords. It would have been easy to have simply shot them, from when firearms became available in Japan, but they weren't, instead the "police" got the Samurai to attack them and slash at them. They had a device like a pitchfork that would trap the blades and snap them. Then they could arrest the Samurai. Today we hear accounts of mentally disturbed people slashing, or trying to slash at people in the street with swords. In nearly all the accounts I have read the outcome is that the attacker is shot as that is the easy option. Sometimes this may in fact be the only option, but it is the only way these situations are dealt with. A certain lack of imagination I think, and one more step closer to the nightmare world of Judge Dread. 107 year old man versus a swat team, I bet they all neded a change of underwear after that tou

Like I said before, news sorces don't care about a suspect whose safely subdued, no shock value. I'd sooner blame the idiot press than cops for the sudden "rise" in police related deaths.

In all fairness the old man was shooting at the swat team, if they hadn't shot him. he could have killed them or killed a bystander.

i'm by no means saying i agree with him getting killed but you have to put yourself in the swat teams shoes

Give me a ******* break

You don't watch the news then, or have any knowledge of Vietnam, 1st and 2nd Gulf wars, Afghanistan and the seemingly endless bloodbath by shooters, far more than any other country. You seem to be in denial.

• Like 2