Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists release list of doomsday scenarios

UM-Bot

The research aims to provide a complete list of threats capable of bringing about the end of the world.

Among the most prominent threats are disasters such as an asteroid impact, an outbreak of incurable disease and the possibility of a nuclear apocalypse. Other scenarios include cyber-attack, a genetically engineered super virus or even the idea of computers becoming self-aware, a concept explored in numerous science fiction movies including \"The Terminator\" and \"The Matrix\".

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/254655/scientists-release-list-of-doomsday-scenarios

• Like 2

I guess that is why you should embrace every day...ya never know when check out time is coming!

1) Pandemics/Biological war

2) Nuclear war

3) Space rock doom

4) Super Volcano doom

5) EMP doom (man made)

6) Solar flare/CME doom

7) Sentient computer doom

There's lots of possible doom...might as well enjoy life and not be overwhelmed by the slim chance it's coming anytime soon

• Like 1

I don't think numbers 5 and 6 on the above list are really possible, and they are all pretty damn unlikely. Still, enough unlikely things added together can add up, so we should identify hazards and do what we can to study and mitigate them.

I like the thought of computers becoming self aware.

I doubt its going to happen; there is it seems a qualitative difference between us and computers. Computers will continue to get more and more powerful without that line being crossed until we come to understand our own sentience and ability to be mindful.

Humans will survive somehow, cause we are incredibly clever and adaptable.

And I don't think we can really prepare for doomsday, cause the scenarios are unlimited really....if something happens we'll just have to try to survive any way we can.

that's what gets me. the article says that the public is in denial, but what exactly am i, as a member of said public, supposed to do about these things? sit, paralysed in helpless fear? because i can manage that, but not much else, i think.

• Like 2

that's what gets me. the article says that the public is in denial, but what exactly am i, as a member of said public, supposed to do about these things? sit, paralysed in helpless fear? because i can manage that, but not much else, i think.

LOL, you make me laugh.

Maybe just be 'generally' prepared for something to happen.

Oh, and in the above list, they forgot to add 'Zombie Apocalypse'.

• Like 1

I wouldn't rule out number 7 totaly as we don't know how computers will turn out in the future. Isaac Asimov's Multivac, which I presume was borrowed and renamed Skynet for the Terminator films, is not going to happen tomorrow, but after tomorrow we simply don't know.

Zombie apocalypse seems probable, after all, I walk around town sometimes and It seems to be already happening

Edited by Kaa-Tzik

I think Zombie Apocalypse is unlikely, unless everyone goes bathsalt crazy?

I think Zombie Apocalypse is unlikely, unless everyone goes bathsalt crazy?

Well, I have watched World War Z twice already...so I'm prepared!

lol

I think quite a bit has already been done. Objects that might collide with the earth are being found and followed, potential super-volcanoes are being watched, and the worst threat -- nuclear annihilation -- has diminished a lot with the end of the cold war (China and Vietnam are still communist countries and China has an unfortunate and unneeded nuclear program, but the only real Communist threat left is N. Korea (if such a hereditary monarchy can be called Communist).

If the Iranians persist, something will have to be done and almost certainly will be, although I suspect the Chamberlains of the world (and this board) will be upset that things were done to stop nuclear war.

Global warming could break out in ways we don't expect and end up with a runaway greenhouse effect that renders us extinct. That possibility is being studied and we need to be aware of it and not in denial.

how are computers going to become self aware when they are no smarter than the people that input information...that makes no sence

Well, I have watched World War Z twice already...so I'm prepared!

lol

You should give the book a try. Id lend my copy but I don't think I can throw that far.

• Like 1

When all food is gone and we begin to eat each other, that will be the end of life on earth.

The last man alive will have to eat himself.

• Like 2

I'm with the GE super viruses especially as they have already "accidentally" released a couple so far, and zombie/infection apocalypse, a la World War Z style.

Thining about it, it's possible that a zombie apocalypse is not so far fetched. Think of the scenario in 28 Days Later where the zombies are caused by a rabies like manmade virus that in the film was called "rage". All other fantasy zombies, like in The Walking Dead are essentially supernatural and not believable. For instance, any organism that moves and acts as the zombies do, must, in the real world, be alive and need water and food to provide the energy to move. Film zombies don't get to eat much, if anything, think of fatso down the well in Walking Dead, and could not in reality survive very long. 28 Days Later shows a much more believable and non supernatural scenario where the zombies die of hunger. We do not know what monstrosities have, or will be, created in military and commercial laboratories. If there is a real life version of Rage and it gets out.........