Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The disappearance of Ray Gricar

SuperSmith

TruTV shutdown their Crime Library discussion threads. Much information was lost but I hope to rangle some of the veteran posters here to further discuss the disappearance of Ray Gricar.

• Like 1

I believe Ray Gricar was murdered. I believe he got in the wrong person(s) way and he was professionally taken out. Little to no evidence of a crime scene supports this. The laptop/harddrive being found in the river months after, in obvious locations, that had been extensively searched supports foul play. I believe the investigation has been coached all along. I believe Ray Gricar was an upstanding man, tough prosecutor, and good father. I do not believe he would up and leave his life, career, and daughter. He was going to retire at the end of the year so this simply doesn't make sense. Also his brother (Roy) had gone missing in 1995, later found in the Ohio River an apparent suicide. I do not believe Ray Gricar would mock his brothers act and further destroy his family.

• Like 3

Ray Frank Gricar was an American attorney who served as the district attorney of Centre County, Pennsylvania, from 1985 until 2005. On April 15, 2005, Gricar went missing under mysterious circumstances and has not been heard from since. Wikipedia

Born: October 9, 1945 (age 67), Cleveland, OH

Party: Republican Party

Education: University of Dayton, Case Western Reserve University

Thanks, SuperSmith! This gives us veterans an opportunity to continue our sleuthing as well as an opportunity for possibly some new to the case to join in.

New thoughts are definitely welcome!

In this time period between the 'other' forum closing down and finding this one, I was concerned all of our eight years of brain-storrming might get lost.

We bring it with us, so here's hoping a new start might bring some new ideas. The time between the board closing down and the present brought many of our theories to mind for me, and I found the most important element to be something you mention as well...............the investigation being 'coached'. Who has such power in the state to be able to coach so many different investigators? Or was it just the easy way out? I doubt this case is a closed file anywhere. It just seems like it has to be a case of 'not a clue', and the need for new evidence of any type to surface? A conspiracy theory involving ALL LE departments would seem to be impossible, but that brought me to the point of asking WHO in the scheme of things 'coached', whether it be suicide or walk-away, and why? This is where I've been stuck since the board closed down.

My last 'theory' involved an ADA, but the more I think about it, no way would the ADA have the means to coach the investigation. The reason has to be bigger than that ---------only reasons I can think of is 1) there is a suspect but without enough evidence can't charge or 2) it is as involved and multi-layered as the Sandusky situation and a protective measure is in place. My biggest question there is.............why NO Second Mile investigation?

Just my opinion

Edited by lw-intuit
  • Like 1

I believe the AG had a lot to do with steering the investigation early on.

I can't think of any other office that could steer the investigation at so many levels, other than the AG's office, but why?

I can't think of any other office that could steer the investigation at so many levels, other than the AG's office, but why?

Because they were in bed with the Second Mile as way CYS & DPW.........just my opinion

Because they were in bed with the Second Mile as way CYS & DPW.........just my opinion

Likewise, my opinion as well. That could change if there was an investigation into the Second Mile re: Sandusky, but no counting on that ever happening. Power and money rule, it appears, and that money appears to have gone all the way to the top.

• Like 1

Likewise, my opinion as well. That could change if there was an investigation into the Second Mile re: Sandusky, but no counting on that ever happening. Power and money rule, it appears, and that money appears to have gone all the way to the top.

I agree. I just got out of the hospital but I will get with it tomorrow. I'm going to see what I can find off of my regular PC to bring onto this thread.

With no body??

Since the location in question is a river, I don't think it's necessarily surprising that his body wasn't recovered.

(Sorry to have offered an opinion without support.)

I think the circumstances that weigh the most and point to suicide are: 1) he demonstrated depression (slept a lot...so much that his live-in girlfriend suggested that if he kept it up, he should see a doctor), 2) info. as to how to destroy a hard drive was searched on his home computer... together with the fact that his hard drive was recovered separate and indeed, the data couldn't be retrieved, and 3) he seemed to inexplicably take that day off and had apparently traveled to his last known location on his own accord.

• Like 1

Since the location in question is a river, I don't think it's necessarily surprising that his body wasn't recovered.

(Sorry to have offered an opinion without support.)

I think the circumstances that weigh the most and point to suicide are: 1) he demonstrated depression (slept a lot...so much that his live-in girlfriend suggested that if he kept it up, he should see a doctor), 2) info. as to how to destroy a hard drive was searched on his home computer... together with the fact that his hard drive was recovered separate and indeed, the data couldn't be retrieved, and 3) he seemed to inexplicably take that day off and had apparently traveled to his last known location on his own accord.

Ironically I have seen the same points you make argued in favor of Walk-away & Foul play. According to his girlfriend he was sleeping more in the prior weeks which is entirely different than actual depression. She also indicated he was working hard and a lot of hours on cases making the naps more reasonable. He also never displayed any indicators prior so I do not believe he was depressed. On the contrary his friends noted that Ray was looking forward to retirement, traveling with his girlfriend, and visiting his daughter.

The harddrive and laptop prove nothing really. A perp could of ditched it in a foul play scenario, RG could've dumped it in a walk-away situation as well. Interesting about the laptop though is that each were not found for months after the disappearance and both were in a spot that was extensively searched by professionals more than once.

Haven't you spontaniously taken off work? To detinations not predetermined? I know I have. On a nice Spring day there is nothing better. Just my opinion.

Edited by SuperSmith
  • Like 1

The harddrive and laptop prove nothing really. A perp could of ditched it in a foul play scenario, RG could've dumped it in a walk-away situation as well.

A perp didn't search on his home computer for how to destroy his lap top's hard drive. I consider that with the condition in which the lap top and hard drive were later found.

To my knowledge, there's nothing to indicate that the man is still alive.

There's no evidence that he walked away, nor- considering the circumstances you yourself described- a reason to think he would have.

• Like 1

A perp didn't search on his home computer for how to destroy his lap top's hard drive. I consider that with the condition in which the lap top and hard drive were later found.

To my knowledge, there's nothing to indicate that the man is still alive.

There's no evidence that he walked away, nor- considering the circumstances you yourself described- a reason to think he would have.

If Gricar actually did the searches I believe they were done to erase his computer before returning it to the County. He had expressed interest in erasing the drive before handing it back in at retirement. He probably had case notes and personal information on it. He supposedly actually bought software to do the erasing.

However...............

It has been my impression from the start that Gricar met with foul play, by someone close to him, who would've had access most likely to his computer, someone he trusted.

• Like 1

If Gricar actually did the searches I believe they were done to erase his computer before returning it to the County. He had expressed interest in erasing the drive before handing it back in at retirement. He probably had case notes and personal information on it. He supposedly actually bought software to do the erasing.

Well, he wasn't satisfied to simply erase, but to actually destroy.

• Like 1

Well, he wasn't satisfied to simply erase, but to actually destroy.

Or someone wasn't suffiently satisfied. I submit to you that the laptop and hard drive were planted. Part of a stage. BTW thank you for participating. It's a fasinating case.

• Like 1

BTW thank you for participating. It's a fasinating case.

Of course! Thank you for presenting the case. :tu:

It is fascinating.

I submit to you that the laptop and hard drive were planted. Part of a stage.

I wouldn't believe that anyone else could/would have searched his home computer, and the decision to take the day off appeared spontaneous to the girlfriend and he did so for no apparent reason, so those things lead me to believe that only he was involved in what occurred.

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

Of course! Thank you for presenting the case. :tu:

It is fascinating.

I wouldn't believe that anyone else could/would have searched his home computer, and the decision to take the day off appeared spontaneous to the girlfriend and he did so for no apparent reason, so those things lead me to believe that only he was involved in what occurred.

If he had an interest in wiping the drive before retirement the searches could've actually lead him to the software he was said to have eventually purchased.

If he had an interest in wiping the drive before retirement the searches could've actually lead him to the software he was said to have eventually purchased.

I don't know when he purchased software, but from the info. I've read, he wasn't scheduled to retire until December and the searches on his home computer were recent to his disappearance and those searches included water damage to a hard drive.

• Like 1