Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New species of owl discovered

Rafterman

A group of ornithologists hear some faint calls in the deserts of Oman and within six months they have documented a new species of owl.

So how about it Bigfooters - why can't you find real evidence of a giant man ape that makes screams that can be heard for miles and lives all over North America after decades of trying?

http://www.independe...=internalSearch

The bird, previously unknown to science, is slightly bigger than a tawny owl and has been named the Omani Owl.

It was first spotted in a remote mountainous region of the Middle Eastern country while sound-recordist and author Magnus Robb, 43, formerly from Edinburgh, was studying another species in March.

Edited by Still Waters
Reduced amount of copied text - please avoid copy & pasting entire web pages or articles
  • Like 4

A group of ornithologists hear some faint calls in the deserts of Oman and within six months they have documented a new species of owl.

So how about it Bigfooters - why can't you find real evidence of a giant man ape that makes screams that can be heard for miles and lives all over North America after decades of trying?

http://www.independe...=internalSearch

The bird, previously unknown to science, is slightly bigger than a tawny owl and has been named the Omani Owl.

It was first spotted in a remote mountainous region of the Middle Eastern country while sound-recordist and author Magnus Robb, 43, formerly from Edinburgh, was studying another species in March.

Adding to this: http://news.discovery.com/animals/endangered-species/once-extinct-pinocchio-lizard-pokes-nose-out-131005.htm

Small lizard, makes NO sound and yet rediscovered after 50 years of being classified as extinct. Yet a 8' tall hairy humanoid can magically hide forever.

• Like 4

New species are "discovered" all the time, so that sort of gives me some hope that there might be a Bigfoot or two roaming about.

• Like 1

Do you really think theyd give a hoot? :passifier:

Actually most of the new species found are slight variations on existing species that scientists come to realize are not interbreeding.

• Like 2

New species are "discovered" all the time, so that sort of gives me some hope that there might be a Bigfoot or two roaming about.

That's kind of the point - if a rare new species can be discovered within 6 months based on "hey, did you hear that?", then why is a much more common several hundred pound man ape so elusive?

Do you really think theyd give a hoot? :passifier:

If the evidence were there - yep.

That's kind of the point - if a rare new species can be discovered within 6 months based on "hey, did you hear that?", then why is a much more common several hundred pound man ape so elusive?

Simple, no social networking or money making scams were involved.

Next question please.

:w00t:

Using the excuse that so many hundred new species are discovered every year is a popular one among bigfoot believers. The only problem with this is that the majority of the new species are, as was stated earlier, just different variations on old species and/or microscopic single celled organisms that can't even be seen by the naked eye. Of course their are also the small insect species as well. It's not like they are discovering 300 new species of animals that are even as big as a mouse, much less an 8ft tall monkey man that lives in every country on earth.

Mike

• Like 1

I've just posted this as a separate topic in the Natural World forum. Thank you for the link :tu:

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=255846

Edited by Still Waters

Using the excuse that so many hundred new species are discovered every year is a popular one among bigfoot believers. The only problem with this is that the majority of the new species are, as was stated earlier, just different variations on old species and/or microscopic single celled organisms that can't even be seen by the naked eye. Of course their are also the small insect species as well. It's not like they are discovering 300 new species of animals that are even as big as a mouse, much less an 8ft tall monkey man that lives in every country on earth.

Mike

Interesting, but who said anything about 300 new species a year?

Wow!!! And crystal clear photos to boot. Make you wonder why some alleged giant animals manage to constantly be blurry, don't it?

The bigger they are the harder it is to photograph them.

Interesting, but who said anything about 300 new species a year?

Nobody said anything about 300 species a year. It was just the first number I pulled out of my head.

Mike

Nobody said anything about 300 species a year. It was just the first number I pulled out of my head.

Mike

Ok, I knew you pulled it out of somewhere.

:w00t:

Small lizard, makes NO sound and yet rediscovered after 50 years of being classified as extinct. Yet a 8' tall hairy humanoid can magically hide forever.

Well, there you are: proof of the superiority of hominids over lizards. :D

First off, I would like to say that I love owls.

Secondly,

This. Not to mention my giant squid/bigfoot argument I always point to. There's just so many impossible factors regarding evidence of Bigfoot compared to evidence of other animals.

keninsc:

" The bigger they are the harder it is to photograph them."

Hahahaha

Come on, that's just doesn't make any sense

:D

Edited by Scepticus

To be fair, the vast majority of new species discovered are very small organisms, with most being ants. The 8 foot hairy hominid probably won't be among them.

• Like 1