Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's first wizard school opens

Still Waters

Bloody hell, I've still yet to receive my acceptance letter.

Bloody hell, I've still yet to receive my acceptance letter.

Neither have I =(

PT Barnum was right.

Just not in this case because it deals with actual pagan practices, not the fantasy magic of harry potter.

I looked at the website, and it's interesting. I think it's pretty cool that a bunch of practitioners want to gather and teach others their skills. Especially since they seem to cover a whole variety of subjects.

However, the way they set themselves up is pretty hokey. It's sort of too jinky Potterish. I gotta say I just couldn't take my teacher seriously if they dressed like that. A lot of the way their site is set up points to them being silly hippie fictional book spin off. It is a school geared to kids though, so I guess that might be normal.

Anyways, it's outrageous to open up a school teaching mostly Wiccan religion and using modern day techniques, but it isn't outrageous to open up a "school" where there are strict rules, follow and teach the Catholic faith, and wear "habbits" all day?!

Yes.

I would never incorperate "flailing a wand around" into this,

Why not? It is being taught as something that is supposedly meaningful. Besides..lose your grip on it and you could accidentally impale someone...ouchies!

but his intentions are good.

His intentions are to make money off of the gullible by making them buy his books while they take his "classes"

I think it's pretty cool that a bunch of practitioners want to gather and teach others their skills.

........"skills"?

BTW, magic is real, you just have to know it when you see it.

Magic is just a flashy way of describing something that you can't readily explain.

Sort of like how people claimed that storms were caused by angry gods or that, literally, a tiny human being lived inside each cell of the body (homunculus)

Once you understand something you no longer need to use the word "magic" and the best thing of all is that understanding doesn't take away the need continue learning.

I do believe in the possibility of the Jersey Devil,

Why do all the cool sounding cities get cool myths?

You never hear of the "Minneapolis Devil" or the Iowa City Beast" :no:

Edited by Ryu

lol Ryu... perhaps I should have used the term knowledge instead of skills.

Knowledge is knowledge. There's all sorts of subjects being taught out there. Here is a sampling from 2009 of courses from "real" colleges.

Here is a sampling from 2009 of courses from "real" colleges.

Pretty disgusting really. If it is part of what they call "adult education" it is even more frightening.

I guess it is ok if it is one of those once a week/month things that one takes in the evening for "fun".

I am simply saying that anything this "school" has to offer won't be taken seriously in the real world even if, by some chance, some knowledge is useful.

However I do agree that Oberons frequent reference to Harry Potter is odd and makes him and his school more questionable. He only helps add to peoples misconceptions of pagans in general and I don't think he realizes that.

He simply got hopelessly lost in his fantasies and keeps wishing for a world that never was and never will be.

Fortunately nothing that the school teaches will be recognized by anyone in the real world so at least that is a relief.

Many college degrees are becoming more and more useless as time progresses, so I see no real harm in a school for Wicca and Pagan practices. What's the difference between a magic course and a Liberal Arts degree? Not much, aside from the mad rep you'd get in your D&D group.

Many college degrees are becoming more and more useless as time progresses,

Yup. This I know all too well.

so I see no real harm in a school for Wicca and Pagan practices. What's the difference between a magic course and a Liberal Arts degree? Not much, aside from the mad rep you'd get in your D&D group.

True except most liberal arts don't taut magic as being real.

But if people wish to spend their money on it then that is their prerogative, I just find it odd that the school was originally aimed at kids which tells me that this is nothing more than a fantasy summer camp but then you get the kids parents getting into the act , what getsme is that Mr. Zell even goes so far as to claim that the nonsense he teaches augments mainstream education..that it is actually useful.

But..soon parents will wake up and see it for what it is and if their little kiddies still want to play Harry Potter then buy them a book or two along with a boatload of books on real life stuff.

Oh well....at least the "school" has a nice setting. Looks like Mr. Zell is recuperating from his cancer ordeal so that is nice.

In some ways, I think some of what they teach could be useful. The spooky application usefulness of it might be debatable.

Like they have cosmology. Spooky applications of astronomy. The kids are learning the stars in the sky, which can be useful.

Nature studies is about camping and woodcraft... Kind of like boy or girl scouts.

The math class probably help some kids out with their regular math skills.

I just find it funny that skeptics can't separate what they claim we pagans can't.

Are they teaching fantasy magic? No.. they're teaching "magic" in the natural sense. Things that people have been doing for thousands of years. Not what Hollywood would have you believe magic is.

And Rashore has it right. It's a mix of what's natural and a mix of religious belief. Not uttering some made up words to make a rabbit disappear, or a person levitate.. Or change our hair color without dye. Just because Zell likes to dress like the stereotypical wizard doesn't mean that he's slinging spells like Gandalf.

Yup. This I know all too well.

True except most liberal arts don't taut magic as being real.

But if people wish to spend their money on it then that is their prerogative, I just find it odd that the school was originally aimed at kids which tells me that this is nothing more than a fantasy summer camp but then you get the kids parents getting into the act , what getsme is that Mr. Zell even goes so far as to claim that the nonsense he teaches augments mainstream education..that it is actually useful.

But..soon parents will wake up and see it for what it is and if their little kiddies still want to play Harry Potter then buy them a book or two along with a boatload of books on real life stuff.

Oh well....at least the "school" has a nice setting. Looks like Mr. Zell is recuperating from his cancer ordeal so that is nice.

In all honesty it's no different than Christian Bible camps, private Catholic schools and Christian Colleges. If people want to dish out money to learn aspects of a religion, I see no problem with this. Wizards gonna wiz.

It's things like this that keep the world interesting. I'm tired of living in cookie cutter communities. :sleepy:

• 1 month later...

Well, someone had to do it. Besides, it sounds like fun. Think he could teach me how to win the lottery? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Why do all the cool sounding cities get cool myths?

You never hear of the "Minneapolis Devil" or the Iowa City Beast" :no:

Maybe you should dig around for an awkward-sounding beast, such as those. :)

As for your earlier post, I checked it out and agree to an extent. However, if people want to spend their money on it, then that's their choice.

• 2 years later...

Ok.. I should've gotten my acceptance letter already...

Oh my god. I've never seen this thread before.

First, the Grey school opened on line YEARS before 2011.

More like.... Wow, 06 maybe.

Trust me on this, because when he did, we were pealing with laughter.

He and his wife were true craft people, legit initially, but when they did this, the entire community was aghast.

He was charging huge amts of money for nonsense.

The only reason I found out about this, was someone who was shall we say was a rival of mine (more like jealous b!tch) , and raised MUSLIM, decided to mess with me, and mock my beliefs. She did some seriously nasty things to me in tandem with this other guy, who I didn't even know.... , so... Lets just say she had no idea what hit her, so she goes and joins this on line, to learn how to "fight" me...

She would discuss it on her livejournal,and how magical she was becoming, and I would die laughing.

Then she got the logo of the school as a tattoo.

Seriously?

I told my high priestess about all of it and she was just appalled.

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Maybe he ought to do pottery too, since he has so much hair.

Then he could be Hairy Potter.

Edited by Realm
  • Like 1

Ok.. I should've gotten my acceptance letter already...

Oh, that might explain all those owls sitting about outside.
  • Like 1

Oh, that might explain all those owls sitting about outside.

Dang it! They sent my letter to the wrong house again! >:(

• Like 1

Dang it! They sent my letter to the wrong house again! >:(

I cannot tell if you are joking or not.

You didn't really sign up for this?It's in California it seems. It's ridiculous, even if you truly want to learn the craft.

It's a religion, not a way to cast spells to make the lead singer of One Direction love you.

If you truly want to learn the craft, being ripped off by this guy cashing in in harry Potter, is not the way to do it.

There are plenty of legit practitioners in California.

Just sayin.

Edited by Simbi Laveau

No, I didn't sign up. I'm just messing around.

And for your information, I hate One Direction. I like Skillet better.

Edited by Emeraldgemheart