Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ohio Bans Libertarians from Election

Kowalski

It’s in this environment that the Ohio State Senate has passed this bill which would essentially eliminate all third party candidates from ballots. In the bill, only candidates from parties which earned 3% or more of the vote in a presidential election would be placed on the ballot; all other candidates would be write-in options. Newly qualifying parties must also submit petitions with at least 55,809 valid signatures.

The bill would, in many ways, solidify the placement of the Democrat and Republican parties at the center of American politics. Voters must look up and remember the names – something which should be simple but many people simply vote party line, and this will create a discrepancy amongst parties – and write-in candidates must apply to be counted. Write-in votes are also counted much more slowly than others, if at all, meaning they will not be discussed in the initial analysis of election results.

In addition, many third parties choose to build support by running in small, local campaigns before progressing to expensive and challenging presidential elections, but the Ohio bill only bases its judgment on presidential elections. Any third party candidate from a party which chooses to focus its limited time and money on winnable campaigns would be at an immediate disadvantage.

Link: http://benswann.com/senate-votes-to-ban-the-libertarian-party-from-ohio-ballot/

Spartan max I knew this would be of interest to you since you live in Ohio, and are libertarian.....

:)

• Like 1

They rushed this bill through in record time too!! it was despicable. It literally took them like four days!

Plus they introduced this bill when they heard that a Libertarian is running for governor.

Thanks for the thread, I already knew about this but at least now other people can see the corruption our two party system has :td:

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

And I forgot to add they passed to bill in order to "help third parties"

• Like 2

Good lord. I'd love to see how long this last before its brought to the supreme court.

• Like 3

They rushed this bill through in record time too!! it was despicable. It literally took them like four days!

Plus they introduced this bill when they heard that a Libertarian is running for governor.

Thanks for the thread, I already knew about this but at least now other people can see the corruption our two party system has :td:

Your welcome. :)

And as a fellow Libertarian, I think it's despicable what they are doing. I hope this gets more coverage....

Our founding fathers weren't to keen on a two party system....

Washington's Farewell Address: Beware of Tools and Dupes

Link: http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2013/09/24/washingtons-farewell-address-beware-tools-dupes/#.UlyL8jAo5oM

Edited by Burt Gummer
  • Like 1

Very troublesome. State Governments tend to represent a more diverse range of political views and parties due to a smaller electorate, and I think they are a good medium for political movements to gain traction before moving up to the Federal level. Sounds like the D's and R's are trying to legislate against the decline in their popularity and credibility.

• Like 2

Why would they waste their time on this? Unless they're scared. Otherwise, what do they care if a small party forms to spread a message and waste their time campaigning. Seriously, why?

• Like 1

Why should we be allowed to vote for a third party, when it's crystal clear the two major parties have done so well governing?

Now would anyone like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge...........?

Edited by Sundew
  • Like 2

so, basically, **** democracy - vote for Jack Johnson or John Jackson or don't bother voting.

• Like 3

From the article : "

If Ohio’s proposed law passes it will be yet another rule which helps the establishment maintain power."

So... has it passed?

• Like 1

If this becomes law, I can't see how it will survive in any higher courts. It's bordering on legalizing/mandating a ruling a class with no choice...

• Like 2

Then the next step happens when one party has the President and both houses and then declares the other party to be illegal. Happened in Germany with Hitler, all legal....

• Like 2

From the article : "

If Ohio’s proposed law passes it will be yet another rule which helps the establishment maintain power."

So... has it passed?

its passed Burts article was just alittel behind

http://legiscan.com/OH/bill/SB193/2013

http://www.ohiosenat...lection-reforms

or atleast it passed the senate.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

In Russia you only get one person to vote for.

In America you don't get anyone to vote for.

• Like 2

Good lord. I'd love to see how long this last before its brought to the supreme court.

You mean the supreme court full of republicans and democrats?
  • Like 2

You mean the supreme court full of republicans and democrats?

That's how I feel ..

But there is some hope in 2006 the courts shot a thing like this down

"The state’s previous party qualification statute was struck down by the 6th Circuit Court decision through its 2006 ruling in Libertarian Party of Ohio v. Blackwell. The case found the statute unconstitutional due to its requirement that party formation petitions be filed substantially earlier for minor political parties than what was required for major political parties. Senate Bill 193 corrects this problem by changing the filing deadline from 120 days before the primary election to 125 days before the general election."

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/seitz/press/senate-clears-seitz-sponsored-election-reforms

But now they changed it in hopes it wont get shot down.

• Like 1

That's how I feel ..

But there is some hope in 2006 the courts shot a thing like this down

"The state’s previous party qualification statute was struck down by the 6th Circuit Court decision through its 2006 ruling in Libertarian Party of Ohio v. Blackwell. The case found the statute unconstitutional due to its requirement that party formation petitions be filed substantially earlier for minor political parties than what was required for major political parties. Senate Bill 193 corrects this problem by changing the filing deadline from 120 days before the primary election to 125 days before the general election."

http://www.ohiosenat...lection-reforms

But now they changed it in hopes it wont get shot down.

Yeah it's possible, but I tend to be cynical about things like this. Obviously both repubs and dems are feeling the heat over the shutdown and their inability to get anything done. The polls I have seen show the aproval ratings for both parties dropping dramatically
  • Like 3

Where's NinjaDude?

I mean, we need to hear how this is a good idea otherwise we're just been relentlessly negative about it.

• Like 5

Crazy, the only time that reps and dems set aside partisan politics and work together is when they attempt to destroy dissenting political ideologies, counter intuitiveness at its finest.

• Like 4

Crazy, the only time that reps and dems set aside partisan politics and work together is when they attempt to destroy dissenting political ideologies, counter intuitiveness at its finest.

Yeah, the only thing they agree on is they don't want to let anyone else take a place at the trough
  • Like 3