Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dont sign this toxic charter to gag the Press

Commander CMG

• Press freedom organisations write to Queen urging her not to sign a Royal Charter drawn up by politicians to oversee regulation of the British Press
  • Warn her the 'toxic' charter will have 'chilling' effect on journalism in UK
  • It will also be used by dictators around the world to muzzle their own Press
  • Signed by bodies including the World Press Freedom Committee, International Press Institute and Commonwealth Press Union Media Trust

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 1

Ah yes, british Journalism, that paragon of decency and standing up for Truth and Justice.

And crap about people who aren't celebrities. Incessantly.

What I think they need isn't to "muzzle the Press", it's some way to make sure that what they print is worthwhile and isn't either meaningless crap or malicious drivel. Some kind of quality control.

• Like 4

The irony, for instance, that the Dreary Mail, whose motto is "it's all the fault of Immigrants", is at the forefront of Fighting for press Freedom. Like they're bothered about Freedom, they're worried about any legislation that might force them to tell the truth rather than banging on endlessly about their tired old prejudices.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 1

The press should be free to report as it sees fit - however they need to be held accountable for what they print... If what they print is found to be a pack of lies (more and more common nowdays) then

they should pay the price for it... Not just print some small obscure retraction on page 19 under the adverts for adult diapers...

Stiff penalties for falsehoods should be required...

Since they don't put 'editorial comment' on the 'editorial page' anymore - they just call that the story, the press should be penalized for slanting the news to favor their party (all sides do this)...

They should at least TRY to appear non-political...

yeah.. just like the internet . we need the same kinds of restrictions that have worked so well in the print media.

lets give them all this power to filter and subvert the content and the quality of every word you read.

so that your all snugglie and warm in the toilet paper you eat .

the answer is so simple it is frightening to all of you...

make all political speach tax exsempt ... but all entertainment may be taxed as a business.

make the law with out exsemptions or quaifications... all free speach , political speach , points of veiw ...

news... any thing that is truth is tax exsempt

fiction , fantacy , made up storys ... and entertainment can be taxed ...

every thing will sort out nicely ...

also ... you might make any thing annonumus ( fiction or fact ) political speach ...

if you have a brain in your head... you would folow this up with some thing just as simple...

whistel blowers protection .... useing high sea salvage laws as your pattern or model.

i should point out that time/warner ... disney.... universal.... all would have to shed their news divisions( sell them off as sepreate companys) or crash them ... because local stand alones would run tax free... while these other giants would operate with tax burdens so large they would suck the parent company dry .

i need to point out also... this means that reporters and news anchormen would be tax exsempt also.. the radio staions would run tax free.. all these people would not be subject to any kind of tax....

but actors , movie companys , theater ... magizines ... would still be in the entertainment business ... for about 30 second!

suddenly , every thing would be "reality " or " informational" or " documentory"

so be careful what you wish for. you may get it.

the blue pill tastes better.... and the red pill has serious down sides...

but understand that clearity comes at a very high cost.

Edited by onereaderone

God the press are a joke

The press should be free to report as it sees fit - however they need to be held accountable for what they print... If what they print is found to be a pack of lies (more and more common nowdays) then

they should pay the price for it... Not just print some small obscure retraction on page 19 under the adverts for adult diapers...

Stiff penalties for falsehoods should be required...

Since they don't put 'editorial comment' on the 'editorial page' anymore - they just call that the story, the press should be penalized for slanting the news to favor their party (all sides do this)...

They should at least TRY to appear non-political...

Its not that, its the hacking people's phones on private lives and harassing anyone that has done something bad. They all jump on the band wagon, there is no control on them.

The press only care about money, not people's lives, for example chasing celebs all the time, why dont they post something useful?

The Press ! used to report items honourably,why does this no longer happen, because they have over the last few years been allowed to get away with Lying.Mis-reporting subjects and twisting the truth.I have no sympathy so I declare SAVE A TREE stop buying rubbish papers as I have 10 years ago.

• Like 3

The Press ! used to report items honourably,why does this no longer happen, because they have over the last few years been allowed to get away with Lying.Mis-reporting subjects and twisting the truth.I have no sympathy so I declare SAVE A TREE stop buying rubbish papers as I have 10 years ago.

i agree, and so do many others, the sale figures for every news paper is dwindling every single year and not by a small margin, but by the thousands on average 20,000. the print media is dying. and they've got more desperate in recent years and i believe that is why they have stooped to such lows.

we've all heard the saying the Free press is needed crucial in a democracy. well its simply not true anymore, technology, mobile phones etc...will do more to preserve democracy in the years ahead - the printed media cannot even keep up with the pace of social media.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 4