Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stonehenge's secret revealed at last. Maybe..

seeder

And I reckon this proposed reason, is a fair one, as good as any so far Id say....

'Stonehenge's secret revealed at last': Ice Age man was drawn to nearby pools which never froze over

* Warm spring is just walking distance from the stones

* They explain why mesolithic settlers were in the area

* Post ice-age wildlife would have flocked to the water

The age-old secret of why Stonehenge was built where it was can now be revealed, according to historians.

The reason for the stone monument's location has remained one of the great unsolved mysteries of British prehistory, with no one theory accepted as correct.

But now a team of scientists working in Amesbury, a short distance from where the landmark sits on a hillside, believe the discovery of a warm water spring could be the key to solving the riddle.

Read more:

http://www.dailymail...froze-over.html

typos

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

What difference do these so called revelations make to anything?

The real mystery is how was it achieved and why? Why did the builders chose two distinct types of stones?

The OP misses the point completely.

• Like 1

I think that finding the reason stonehenge was built where it was to be quite worthwhile, actually. Why is it so worthless to you?

• Like 2

I would think, zoser, that part of the mystery does indeed lie not just in how it was built but why.

Anyways, the article is interesting but it doesn't really address the monument directly but only the local geography.

Still, to have open water in the winter IS still quite an advantage for all life. Imagine having game to hunt all year round.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

Because there's no single bit of conclusive evidence linking the two? I mean, those pools didn't go anywhere. If the theory is that compelling, it would have occurred to /somebody/ else once in a millennia. Besides, there are other hot springs around the world, and they don't have crukking great temple complexes, so it's clearly not a direct causal link.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

Why oh why has it taken so long to make the connection between stonehenge and hotpools is the real mystery... It seems so obvious now...

The article in the OP states the pools were 'walking distance', But so is 20 miles, :lol: So, see the google map for the distance from Amesbury where the pools are, then just look left for Stonehenge

And why not zoom in on Stonehenge in map view, no pools/waters/lakes are so nearby

https://maps.google....Q&ved=0CKMBELYD

So that could be a reason no-one linked it before, Plus the pools were on a private estate, as per this from the story

"A small series of shallow pools close to Stonehenge have remained undisturbed for tens of thousands of years. Hidden in a private estate and surrounded by trees, the inconspicuous plot which sits alongside the A303 in Amesbury, is believed to be a mesolithic landscape dating back to 7,596BC.

typos

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

I think that finding the reason stonehenge was built where it was to be quite worthwhile, actually. Why is it so worthless to you?

Because he always trys to steer threads in his direction with baited questions like that, and of course we all know zoser will insist aliens had something to do with it

• Like 1

for what it's worth, i don't think this is conclusive "this is the reason stonehenge was built here wow amazing", but it is an interesting piece of evidence. a possible reason that the area would have appealed to ancient people. there is no direct evidence, but it's something to explore further.

Because there's no single bit of conclusive evidence linking the two? I mean, those pools didn't go anywhere. If the theory is that compelling, it would have occurred to /somebody/ else once in a millennia. Besides, there are other hot springs around the world, and they don't have crukking great temple complexes, so it's clearly not a direct causal link.

--Jaylemurph

'Bath' in in the UK had a huge Roman temple, many other hot springs also have ancient buildings. Kinda makes sense doesnt it?

Thank you! Some people tend to overthink things. I am grateful for the information and my mind is running in circles, thinking about the sacred well at Glastonbury and such. There was always a feeling of magic about the place. Isn't it just interesting to know something new?

• Like 1

Hmm another interesting theory I'll just put that away with the other 9999 and maybe if you borrow a little from each one you might just get the answer, or at least another good theory. :yes:

Hmm another interesting theory I'll just put that away with the other 9999 and maybe if you borrow a little from each one you might just get the answer, or at least another good theory. :yes:

It will always be an issue for historians to know things accurately, with the most obvious reason being there's no-one left from those times to ask!! Without written, or pictorial records available, most sites like this can be head scratchers for sure. Sometimes its good to not know, because then your brain becomes engaged in problem solving

Like why did Georgia get its own "Stonehenge" with carved rules or instructions for mankind, and population sizes? What would future people think of that?

800px-Georgia_guidestones.jpg

http://en.wikipedia....es#Inscriptions

Edited by seeder

I've got to believe they are on the right track; all ancient megalithic and most ancient

sites generally will be found to depend on water.

As far as how they transported the stones, this too, probably depended on water; fro-

zen water or snow was used in conjunction with sleds that made friction insignificant

in the their transport.

This will come to be seen as obvious.

• Confused 1

'Bath' in in the UK had a huge Roman temple, many other hot springs also have ancient buildings. Kinda makes sense doesnt it?

...if I didn't have indoor plumbing at end of an Ice Age, I might be awfully grateful for a regular hot bath, so maybe you are right. In an inconclusive, hardly-rigorous, pure speculative and not at all causal sort of way.

--Jaylemurph

Because he always trys to steer threads in his direction with baited questions like that, and of course we all know zoser will insist aliens had something to do with it

All I'm saying is tackle the real mysteries about Stonehenge; not what they want to write in children's history books about it, which we all know is just watered down gruel.

I thought the "Why" of Stonehenge was pretty clear. It was a solar temple. The whole site shows signs of being a solar religious site from thousands of years before the Henge was even built.

Likely the water is why people congregated there, but the Henge was there, because that was were the people were. Simple as that.

This very likely to be a reason for humans to come to this area as the Ice was receding, but I’m not so sure it would have been the reason for Stonehenge itself. There is a natural landmark very close to Stonehenge, ‘The Cursus’ this natural ridge and its alignment is the more likely IMO for Stonehenge in this area.

There has been some exciting finds in the area recently, especially the work done by Mark Parker Pearson and his workers, linking Durringgton walls via the river Avon to Stonehenge. There are so many amazing sites in this area, just 20miles north is the stunning site of ‘The Avebury complex’, which has west Kennet Long Barrow, 2 stone lined causeways, Silbury hill (which is man made!)and the main stone circle which is so big it has plenty of room for a village inside it. The sheer size of these Complexs are amazing, but recent excavations in the Orkney Isles seem to also be very important in helping our understanding these sites. Here’s a vid for those who haven’t seen these latest findings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuOXF81GMvY&hd=1

Anyone coming to the UK to see Stonehenge, make sure you allow extra time and visit Avebury there are no fences, the only fee is the carpark, take a picnic with you, have some cider in the village pub and have a lovely day away from the crowds at Stonehenge.

Edited by sutemi
  • Like 1

The stonehenge builders thought it was a good idea to put up the stones to attract tourists in the 21st century.

• Like 3