Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did you know that a phantom car was spotted..

Lady Shade

Idk if this has been posted before, but a friend gave me this story and I thought was interesting.

On a December night in 2002 the police station in Surrey, UK received numerous calls from witnesses to an alleged car accident. The witnesses reported that they had seen the blazing headlights of a car that veered off from one of the the busiest A3 highways running through the city of Burpham.

After the police officers went to the scene of the incident they were baffled because they couldn’t find any signs of road accidents, nor any car wreckage whatsoever. Instead, after a more thorough search in the wilderness that surrounded the road, the policemen made a shocking discovery.

They have found a Vauxhall Astra automobile that was completely destroyed. The car was also entangled deep in the ditch in a lot of small trees and undergrowth. It was completely invisible from the top of the road. More shockingly, the police also discovered a badly decomposed body about 65 feet away from the wrecked vehicle.

After a thorough investigation of the whole scene, the detectives were able to match the dental records to a 21-year-old man from Isleworth, a nearby town. To make the case even more bizarre the man’s brother had reported him missing nearly 5 months ago. The victim was last seen drinking in a bar in London in July that same year.

The witnesses that claimed to have seen the car drive off the road were left astonished by the discovery. Some of them are still wondering whether they have seen a ghostly replay of the whole car incident.

• Like 1

I believe they saw something, and that is as good and explanation as any. I have seen this type of "replay" myself, though nothing violent. Regardless, what a story!

• Like 1

Idk if this has been posted before, but a friend gave me this story and I thought was interesting.

On a December night in 2002 the police station in Surrey, UK received numerous calls from witnesses to an alleged car accident. The witnesses reported that they had seen the blazing headlights of a car that veered off from one of the the busiest A3 highways running through the city of Burpham.

After the police officers went to the scene of the incident they were baffled because they couldn’t find any signs of road accidents, nor any car wreckage whatsoever. Instead, after a more thorough search in the wilderness that surrounded the road, the policemen made a shocking discovery.

They have found a Vauxhall Astra automobile that was completely destroyed. The car was also entangled deep in the ditch in a lot of small trees and undergrowth. It was completely invisible from the top of the road. More shockingly, the police also discovered a badly decomposed body about 65 feet away from the wrecked vehicle.

After a thorough investigation of the whole scene, the detectives were able to match the dental records to a 21-year-old man from Isleworth, a nearby town. To make the case even more bizarre the man’s brother had reported him missing nearly 5 months ago. The victim was last seen drinking in a bar in London in July that same year.

The witnesses that claimed to have seen the car drive off the road were left astonished by the discovery. Some of them are still wondering whether they have seen a ghostly replay of the whole car incident.

"Burpham"...seriously?? ;) Cool story, i found an article about the whole event on the Surrey website:

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-news/a3-ghost-crash-remembered-10-4807754

Here is a youtube video of another ghost car:-

[media=]

[/media]

i thought of exactly this clip when i read the headline! :tu:

• Like 2

So the article states there was a "frenzy" of calls, but then says the police received only one.

Here's my thinking:

-someone ran this poor guy off the road back in the summer and never reported it. They spent several months knowing that the car was still there, guilt finally got the best of them, and they called it in like it just happened. Note, the caller's name is not mentioned in the article.

-being December, enough leaves finally fell off the trees that a passing motorist saw the car, called it in, and reported that someone just ran off the road.

-a car actually did go off the road that night, but it wasn't damaged and the driver was able to get it back up on the road and drive away. It was just coincidence that the older wreck was in the same location - wrecks like this do tend to happen in the same places you know.

The real answer is "we'll never know" but there are plenty of reasonable things that could have happened that night without having to jump to the realm of ghosties.

• Like 8

So the article states there was a "frenzy" of calls, but then says the police received only one.

Here's my thinking:

-someone ran this poor guy off the road back in the summer and never reported it. They spent several months knowing that the car was still there, guilt finally got the best of them, and they called it in like it just happened. Note, the caller's name is not mentioned in the article.

-being December, enough leaves finally fell off the trees that a passing motorist saw the car, called it in, and reported that someone just ran off the road.

-a car actually did go off the road that night, but it wasn't damaged and the driver was able to get it back up on the road and drive away. It was just coincidence that the older wreck was in the same location - wrecks like this do tend to happen in the same places you know.

The real answer is "we'll never know" but there are plenty of reasonable things that could have happened that night without having to jump to the realm of ghosties.

Good theory.

[media=]

[/media]

I love that clip. I remember reading an explanation of what happened though - the car simply drove UNDER the fence and then it fell back into place. Add a lot dust, a bad lo res camera, flashing lights, headlights, and reflections - voila - GHOST CAR.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 3

I love that clip. I remember reading an explanation of what happened though - the car simply drove UNDER the fence and then it fell back into place. Add a lot dust, a bad lo res camera, flashing lights, headlights, and reflections - voila - GHOST CAR.

that clip made me enjoy "FACT or FAKED"... there i am, pants down!

Back to the topic in hand, wasn't there two accidents? The roads were icy and at night it is bad and I keep thinking something to do with road rage?

Edited by The New Richard Nixon

James Dean's car, or what was left of it, after the accident that claimed Dean's life, and parts from the car were sold, which caused several more automobile deaths,the remains of the car were being hauled on a car lift, used by the California Highway Patrol for relocating cars after accidents, back to California, when it, the two workmen riding in the transport, and Dean's car, somewhere along the highway, simply vanished. According to drivers, the sounds of brakes , tires, and metal hitting metal, can still be heard at the site where Dean's car hit head on into another car but the driver of that car, walked away little more than slightly dirty. Maybe the car's name influenced its destiny and Dean's as well.

• Like 1

Turns out the bottom of the fence is not very secure. The cyclone mesh easily slides up posts allowing the car to effectively slip under the fence setting up a great illusion.

• Like 1