Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Naturalists hunt for Tasmanian Tiger evidence

Still Waters

I know Tassie. Been there many times as the wife is a Tasmanian. The problem is the thylacine didn't live where they are looking. And Tassie Devil poo looks like person poo. It's huge! So I think it's devil poo they found. And a point of interest is that Tassie is home to many wombats, they use poo to mark their territory, so it doesn't roll away, it's cube shaped! . True story, seen it fir myself!

I think its odd they are called tigers. With all them black n white stripes they look more like zebras. Anyhow I think there may be a chance that they could have survived through interbreeding with straying farm dogs or wild dingoes. A watered down thylacine would be better than no thylacine at all.

...Anyhow I think there may be a chance that they could have survived through interbreeding with straying farm dogs or wild dingoes. A watered down thylacine would be better than no thylacine at all.

You think what?

Thylacines were marsupials. Dogs are not marsupials. Seriously, dogs are more closely related to humans than they are to marsupials.

• Like 1

Actually it's also know as a Tasmanian Wolf.

Being that it is a marsupial and not a feline or lupine I doubt there is any possibility of a viable crossbreeding.

There was a great podcast about more of the genetics and some postulation about living thylacine on Monster Talk a while back ago.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/skeptic/033_Monstertalk.mp3

• Like 1

You think what?

Thylacines were marsupials. Dogs are not marsupials. Seriously, dogs are more closely related to humans than they are to marsupials.

lol i guess it was wishful thinking. I read somewhere that they were naturally nocturnal predators habitating elevated highlands so this would account for lack of daytime sightings.

Its a remote possibility, but even so, in NZ we have plenty of Kiwi species and though they are endangered and our national icon, the only place most people including New Zealanders ever get to see one is in a zoo as they are shy elusive and nocturnal creatures like has been described of the Tasmanian tiger.

We should capture and breed them for racing.

It's obvious that one of those things would give a greyhound a run for its money, what with the racing stripes and all.

Harte

• Like 2

Be good for a change to know an species still exists.

One photographed recently in Vietnam that had not been seen for over a decade (a species of ox).

It's obvious that one of those things would give a greyhound a run for its money, what with the racing stripes and all.

Harte

They wouldn't run: they would turn on each other and fight.

Well, then, that settles it.

We breed them for fighting.

Harte

• Like 2

that would be a hell of a sight they supposively had one hell of a lbs per square inch bite ratio.

not to mention being able to stand up on their tail.

Edited by Squatchthulhu

I have faith that they can find it

We have a stuffed Tasmanian Tiger at our museum here in Adelaide, South Australia. They look like Dingos with stripes.

The team have actually returned, I'll check the CFZ website and bump this in a few days.

I suspect it's findings of the anectdotal variety, as was always going to be the case on a short expedition like this.

Oh, I've found a link...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-15/tassie-tiger/5095522

Freeman suspected it was there beforehand and now is convinced it's there. Who knows, it could be, I suppose it's a case of whether you believe the people who are telling you that they've seen it

All they found was big pieces of poop and stories. Sad but that's how I assumed it would go.

The poop tests are a long shot... Can someone update if the results are released?

http://forteanzoology.blogspot.com/2013/11/cfz-tasmania-expedition-story-and-video.html

The mystery of the Tasmanian tiger remains after an expedition failed to catch a glimpse of the elusive animal thought to have become extinct 80 years ago.

The UK-based Centre of Fortean Zoology is dedicated to tracking mythical, mystery and extinct animals around the world.

Nine members have just wound up the first stage of their latest self-funded project: hunting the thylacine.

Witness accounts in this kind of topics have almost no value. Until they can prove there is talacyne DNA on those faeces there is nothing to defend their claim.

At first glance, I thought the thread title said "Naturists hunt..."

I'll admit, I was a little disappointed by the link.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tasmania remains pretty untouched to my memory, forest wise. It's pretty likely there's some animals hiding deep in the forests.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a remote possibility, but even so, in NZ we have plenty of Kiwi species and though they are endangered and our national icon, the only place most people including New Zealanders ever get to see one is in a zoo as they are shy elusive and nocturnal creatures like has been described of the Tasmanian tiger.

I think people from many countries could say that. I've never seen a wild koala, wombat, wallaby, platypus, echidna, dingo, tassie devil or pretty much any Australian icon. Kangaroos would have to be the only native animal I would see and even that's rare nowadays. Been months since I've seen a kangaroo, been years since I've seen one up close.

• 3 weeks later...

I think people from many countries could say that. I've never seen a wild koala, wombat, wallaby, platypus, echidna, dingo, tassie devil or pretty much any Australian icon. Kangaroos would have to be the only native animal I would see and even that's rare nowadays. Been months since I've seen a kangaroo, been years since I've seen one up close.

Wildlife, especially species that are hunted, do tend to stay away from people. I live in North America and have only ever seen two wild black bear, and they were terrified of the encounter, so much so I "bearly" got a good look, I basically saw the rump of one as it dove over an embankment. I have seen one bobcat up close and another possible sighting along a highway and they are common, but rather secretive. I suspect there are large areas of Tasmania that people don't frequent, just like there are large areas of N.A. that rarely get visitors. Doesn't mean the Thylacine still lives or that Bigfoot exists, but for the tiger, it does offer some hope that the remoteness of the place and the density of the bush might yet hide a few.

that is the case.

The case is, also, that the government has a habit of ignoring it - given that they've just allowed some excavation of the GREAT BARRIER REEF so coal ships can move through it, that's all you need to know about the parade of shitwits that are in power ATM.

Worth pointing out that with all our bleating about protecting whales, we still keep Dolphins in captivity, when New Zealand outlawed it.

WSPA’s New Zealand Country Manager, Bridget Vercoe, says this is fantastic news for dolphins both here and overseas. Many countries around the world already have legislation prohibiting the taking, holding, importing and exporting of dolphins. Adding New Zealand’s name to this growing list will help strengthen public and government opposition worldwide to this cruel practice.

LINK

The bloody Kiwis did it first, that's not right.

I reckon you are on the money, we would more likely see a "chase the tiger" reality show or some such rubbish.

Harte

And Kangaroo legs.

But assuming it did survive in the wild past the 1930s, there is another potential threat that may have finished it off: Tasmanian Devils have been plagued with a contagious cancer that spreads from animal to animal during fights or scavenging on carcasses and it is decimating the population, causing huge facial tumors. If Thylacine also scavenge the same carcasses, then it possible the disease might have spread to them as well, assuming it can infect multiple species.

I am of the belief that it defiantly lived past the extinction date, but for how long would be anyone guess. David Fleay, Wildlife conservations trapped one as late as the mid 50's but it escaped the trap leaving only fur and paw marks, which he could readily identify as Thylacine.

Here are some excellent informative links:

This one very much fact orientated

Link 1

And this one, which also retells myths and legends.

Link 2

The super 8 footage on youtube taken in the 70's with an alleged thylacine loping across a road looks pretty good...not sure if thats ever been debunked??

If it is the Queensland footage, then yes, I believe so.

• 4 months later...

The poop tests are a long shot... Can someone update if the results are released?

Devil scat, it was confirmed.

There are also reports of a remnant population in Papua-New Guinea, which seems like a real possibility.