Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bigfoot: New Evidence

Q-C

Nat Geo ran this program last night. I had not seen it before and there was no date. Though some of the results are already known.

It "revealed" the results of Brian Sykes (Prof. of Human Genetics at the University of Oxford) testing on alleged Sasquatch and Yeti DNA from NA, Russia, and the Himalayas.

The show began taking us around to visit the human contributors from North America of alleged Sasquatch hairs sent to Sykes for analysis.

The various samples ended up being from cows, deer, bear and canines.

Even Justin Smeja’s ( from his Sierra Kill) was hair from an American black bear and Sykes could find no blood on Smeja’s boot that the juvenile Sasquatch had allegedly bled all over.

Smeja was dumbfounded and teary at hearing the results.

A sample from Russia was shown to be brown bear. DNA showed Zana was not Neanderthal. She's from sub-Saharan Africa and Sykes offered a possible alternative that she was not part of the slave trade but was from a relic population out of Africa.

From the Himalayas, 2 samples from different regions came up as polar bear, an ancient polar bear thought to have gone extinct 40,000 years ago. A marine diet could not support a polar bear in these areas. So Sykes theorizes an unknown polar/brown bear hybrid that hunts humans like polar bears are known to do. And this gave way to the aggressive Yeti tales and why locals fear the Yeti.

No surprises from the NA samples. But the Himalayan bear idea is interesting.

What I enjoyed seeing on the show was the use of Brutus the grizzly to make a doublestep footprint. That when cast made a heck a of a big foot print, easily confusing if hoping for Yeti or Bigfoot prints (after snow melts around a print especially).

It was good to actually see someone show this very real possibility with a 1200 lb griz. And I ALWAYS love seeing Brutus! (and Casey).

**Justin Smeja, et al, were referred to as Bigfootologists throughout the show. I wonder if this was to distance them from the word crypto and add some credibility Sykes or Nat Geo wanted for this show.

Edited by QuiteContrary

We have been here before.

I hadn't heard that Smeja cried.... :cry:

Quit crying YOU!! You're a Bigfootologist after all... :whistle:

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

I hadn't heard that Smeja cried.... :cry:

Quit crying YOU!! You're a Bigfootologist after all... :whistle:

What do you want him to do, go ape?

We have been here before.

And we will return again and again if you hang around BF forums at all.

I have never seen anyone recreate a doublestep print, which are talked about all the time in bf footprint analysis, with an actual bear and then cast it to for us to see the result.

Edited by QuiteContrary

What do you want him to do, go ape?

I just hoped that he could BEAR the news!! HA HA HA.....

• Like 1

Unfortunately Bigfooters will still be talking about the "DNA tests done at Oxford" years from now. Just like some are still talking about the Ketchum "studies".

They just conveniently leave out the part that nothing was found.

• Like 1