Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Notta Lotta People Know That!

Ealdwita

Walt Disney's last words before passing away was a note that said "Kurt Russell"... No one knows what he meant - including Mr. Russell...

On October 3rd, 2010, World War One officially ended when Germany made it final reparations payment.

Whale oil is used on the Hubble Telescope. In fact...because of it does not freeze in extremely low temperatures

(like the ones in Space...duh), Whale oil is used to lubricate ALL of the space vehicles. When the Voyager probes

left the Solar System bound for interstellar space, there will be whale DNA for aliens to find when they scarf up the probes.

Sir Isaac Newton (yes, that Sir Isaac Newton) invented the Doggie Door. But it was originally a Kitty Door to allow his

collection of cats to go in and out without interrupting him.

• Like 1

A bit about WWII...

Among the first "Germans" captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured

by the Russians then forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans then forced to fight for the German Army until they

were captured by the US Army.

At the time of Pearl Harbor the top US Navy command was called CINCUS (pronounced "sink us"), the shoulder patch of the US Army's 45th Infantry division

was the Swastika, and Hitler's private train was named "Amerika". All three were soon changed for PR purposes.

While the war (WWII) raged on, business, trade and commerce continued between the belligerent nations. Usually with a neutral nation acting

as a go between. This resulted in having the lens of the American's super secret Norden bomb sight being made by the German camera company, Zuess.

That was fair because the German fighters trying to shoot down the bombers were made from aluminum from the ALCOA Aluminum Company of New

Kensington, Pennsylvania.

Here's an odd one:

(From Star Trek)

When asked what his 'first name' is Spock explains that it is "difficult to pronounce" and says nothing else...

In the sanctioned books that followed it was revealed that his first name is only difficult to pronounce in Vulcan...

Spock’s first name is Edward (from his maternal grandfather)...

Hey Taun, this super Bomb sight managed to target my Mum's house,instead of the Army Camp 200 yds away,good old German precision eh !..
  • Like 1

The Custom of 'clinking glasses' during a toast came about during the Renaissance, when poisoning someone's drink was a fairly common event ...

To prove to a guest that a drink was safe, the guest would pour a slight amount of their drink into the hosts and then both would drink...

When a guest trusted the host, they would simply touch or 'clink' the host's glass with their own...

Men's and Women's clothes button on the opposite sides. The men's buttons are on the right and the women's on the left... There are two reasons for this...

A man's shirt (called a blouse back then) buttoned so that the left side is over the right... This enabled him to draw his sword (if needed) and not get the hand guard caught

in the blouses gap - leaving him in a 'bad spot'...

Since buttonable clothing was usually worn by the wealthy, the women usually had maids to dress them... And dress makers put the buttons on the maids right so that the maid could more

easily push them through with their right hands....

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

A celestial Comet's tail always points away from the sun.

The Military salute was started by Knights lifting their helmet visors to be recognised by their superiors.

• Like 3

The Custom of 'clinking glasses' during a toast came about during the Renaissance, when poisoning someone's drink was a fairly common event ...

To prove to a guest that a drink was safe, the guest would pour a slight amount of their drink into the hosts and then both would drink...

When a guest trusted the host, they would simply touch or 'clink' the host's glass with their own...

Men's and Women's clothes button on the opposite sides. The men's buttons are on the right and the women's on the left... There are two reasons for this...

A man's shirt (called a blouse back then) buttoned so that the left side is over the right... This enabled him to draw his sword (if needed) and not get the hand guard caught

in the blouses gap - leaving him in a 'bad spot'...

Since buttonable clothing was usually worn by the wealthy, the women usually had maids to dress them... And dress makers put the buttons on the maids right so that the maid could more

easily push them through with their right hands....

Fascinating. I always wondered about the clinking of glasses!

• Like 1

There are 16 pages of these now. Do you all check back to make sure your 'notta lotta's' haven't already been posted?

Nobody but I know how many shots the Rifleman fires at the opening of the show. .. . 11.

• Like 1

There are 16 pages of these now. Do you all check back to make sure your 'notta lotta's' haven't already been posted?

Nope... Just type it in... close your eyes and click "Post" - then hope you don't get 300 people telling you "Hey dummy! That's been posted 5,000 times this week!"...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 3

The author of Frankenstein, Mary Shelley, kept her deceased husband's heart wrapped in silk, in her desk.

• Like 2

The author of Frankenstein, Mary Shelley, kept her deceased husband's heart wrapped in silk, in her desk.

Lovely! So she really was a spooky person!

One of the Yanctonais band headmen who signed the 'Lakotah Treaty' at Fort Laremie in November 1868, was called Cu-wi-h-win, which translates as 'Rotten Stomach' apparently! (If you ever see one of those old, faded, sepia photographs of the incident, he's the one standing on the horizon!)

• Like 3

Its cold enough to Freeze the Balls off a Brass Monkey ..... came from sailing ship days when a brass tray with indents in it was called a Monkey, they used to set the Cannon Balls beside the Cannon on it, however in the cold weather the Iron Balls would freeze making them slippery and the weight of them plus the ship pitching and rolling caused them to slip off the Monkey, and roll about the deck.

• Like 4

Its cold enough to Freeze the Balls off a Brass Monkey ..... came from sailing ship days when a brass tray with indents in it was called a Monkey, they used to set the Cannon Balls beside the Cannon on it, however in the cold weather the Iron Balls would freeze making them slippery and the weight of them plus the ship pitching and rolling caused them to slip off the Monkey, and roll about the deck.

It's as cold as that where I am right now in 'Darkest North Eastern Ireland'! :yes:

Edited by Technocrat
  • Like 1

It's as cold as that where I am right now in 'Darkest North Eastern Ireland'! :yes:

Guard your iron balls mate,see that they don't roll off.
  • Like 1

It's 75 and sunny in the heart of Texas. Hate this cold weather.

Lethologica describes the condition of not being able to remember the word you want.

• Like 1

It's 75 and sunny in the heart of Texas. Hate this cold weather.

Lethologica describes the condition of not being able to remember the word you want.

75 is a summer heat wave for us when we all run about with our tongues hanging out and suffering from lethologica. :yes:

• Like 3

75 is a summer heat wave for us when we all run about with our tongues hanging out and suffering from lethologica. :yes:

Here in the summer if it hasn't hit triple digits it hasn't got hot yet :unsure2:
  • Like 2

Here in the summer if it hasn't hit triple digits it hasn't got hot yet :unsure2:

I couldn't stand that. You're welcome to it! :no:

I couldn't stand that. You're welcome to it! :no:

That's how I feel about the cold. :td:

Isaac Asimov is the only author with a book in every category of the Dewey decimal system

• Like 3

A cat's ear has thirty-two muscles!!

The dog who played "Toto" in the Wizard of Oz, was actually named Terry, by it's owner.

The bullet-proof vest and windshield wiper blades were first invented by women!!!

• Like 2

That's how I feel about the cold. :td:

Isaac Asimov is the only author with a book in every category of the Dewey decimal system

It's easy to escape from the cold but not so easy to escape from intense heat. :no:

It's easy to escape from the cold but not so easy to escape from intense heat. :no:

A floatie on the river and an ice chest full of beer makes the heat survivable. In cold like you have I would be huddled under several layers of blankets in front of a fire with a bottle of whisky cursing my fate until spring. :cry:

The human body has 10 parts whose names have 3 letters eye hip arm leg ear toe jaw rib lip gum

• Like 1

Violet Jessop, who survived the sinking of the Titanic, also survived the sinking of it’s sister ship, the Britanic, and a collision on it’s third sister ship, the Olympic.

Not sure I'd be pleased if she had the cabin next to mine on my holiday cruise!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 4

A floatie on the river and an ice chest full of beer makes the heat survivable. In cold like you have I would be huddled under several layers of blankets in front of a fire with a bottle of whisky cursing my fate until spring. :cry:

The human body has 10 parts whose names have 3 letters eye hip arm leg ear toe jaw rib lip gum

And what's wrong with being huddled under several layers of blankets in front of a fire with a bottle of whisky? Sounds good to me!! :yes:

• Like 1

And what's wrong with being huddled under several layers of blankets in front of a fire with a bottle of whisky? Sounds good to me!! :yes:

You do have a point there. :tu:

98 % of the atoms in your body are replaced every year

• Like 1