Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Modern claims of 'Virgin Pregnancy'

Einsteinium

http://www.newser.com/story/179400/1-in-200-women-say-theyve-had-a-virgin-pregnancy.html

1 in 200 women according to a new study claim to have had virgin pregnancies. I think that this is evidence that the immaculate conception very likely could have been a lie or ignorance on the part of Mary. If that many women in this modern day and age think that...

I am guessing that the only one who was telling the truth was Mary.

I don't get why atheists focus so much on things like this. It seems pretty clear from reading the accounts and criticisms f them that the virgin birth was tacked on later as whatever real events that occurred became legend.

I am guessing that the only one who was telling the truth was Mary.

And why would you think that?

I don't get why atheists focus so much on things like this. It seems pretty clear from reading the accounts and criticisms f them that the virgin birth was tacked on later as whatever real events that occurred became legend.

The virgin birth is central to Christ's divinity. If there was no virgin birth, then Jesus was not the literal son of God, and therefore the rest of Christianity would need to be re-evaluated. Gnosticism might then be closer to the real truth. I think it is important to question, pry, doubt, learn. One should never blindly accept anything. We must retain our childlike curiosity about the world and we must not be afraid to ask the question, Why? This is evidence that women will think that they have a virgin pregnancy when in fact they do not. Whether you like it or not it casts doubt on Mary's explanation of her pregnancy. The story needs to fit the facts, not the facts made to fit the story.

Edited by Einsteinium

http://www.newser.co...-pregnancy.html

1 in 200 women according to a new study claim to have had virgin pregnancies. I think that this is evidence that the immaculate conception very likely could have been a lie or ignorance on the part of Mary. If that many women in this modern day and age think that...

better known as lying

Maybe no one was telling the truth. Look what would happen to a woman that got pregnant by someone other than her husband at that time when Mary was living.

• Like 1

The virgin birth is central to Christ's divinity. If there was no virgin birth, then Jesus was not the literal son of God, and therefore the rest of Christianity would need to be re-evaluated. Gnosticism might then be closer to the real truth. I think it is important to question, pry, doubt, learn. One should never blindly accept anything. We must retain our childlike curiosity about the world and we must not be afraid to ask the question, Why? This is evidence that women will think that they have a virgin pregnancy when in fact they do not. Whether you like it or not it casts doubt on Mary's explanation of her pregnancy. The story needs to fit the facts, not the facts made to fit the story.

First, I'm an atheist.

Second, this desn't really help with debunking the virgin birth narrative.

What does is pointing out that you can see the legend growing as the actual events, whatever they may have been, faded into history.

As well pointing out that even in the stories themselves, his family didn't treat him like he was special, even calling him insane

It also helps to note that other religions included characters (though not like Zeitgeist claims) that were themselves born of virgins, and is a popular trope.

And of course, most of that won't affect true believes in anycase.

Edited by ShadowSot
  • Like 1

First, I'm an atheist.

Second, this desn't really help with debunking the virgin birth narrative.

What does is pointing out that you can see the legend growing as the actual events, whatever they may have been, faded into history.

As well pointing out that even in the stories themselves, his family didn't treat him like he was special, even calling him insane

It also helps to note that other religions included characters (though not like Zeitgeist claims) that were themselves born of virgins, and is a popular trope.

And of course, most of that won't affect true believes in anycase.

That is true. And the story of being half God half man is not new. Just look at Ancient Greek and Roman mythology. Stories of half man half Gods abound in those tall tales. Alexander the Great's mom spread rumors that Alexander was the son of Zeus, and that Zeus appeared to her in the form of a snake and impregnated her. Stories like that in ancient times were actually quite common, but they are all just stories and are not true, but yet Christians believe that one of these virgin birth stories is true, but discount all others. You know what they say, most people are 99% atheist (they don't believe in any other Gods but one). Just one God away from becoming atheists themselves ;)

Jesus! Men are still falling for that one?

better known as lying

Not necessarily in all cases, JGirl - although I would be extremely skeptical of such claims from a woman in modern society unless she had mental health issues. But in societies where information is not as freely available, and people were generally far more ignorant - in the sense of education - such as the society of ancient Israel, I suspect that ignorance could lead to claims such as 'virgin births'.

Self-delusion (particularly in a religious society with such emphasis on pre-marital virginity) is also a possible explanation, without resorting to calling the claimant an outright liar.

• Like 2

It probably helps to go to the article linked in the one linked in the OP, as it includes gems like this:

“In fact we went back a few weeks ago to see if this was a phenomenon that was confined only to the women, and we actually found a few virgin fathers as well — which is a little harder to get your head around.”
  • Like 2

Read the very end of the article. Seems to me its actually saying collecting data for sensitive or personal issues could be difficult, and not that the young men and women thought they had virgin pregnancies.......at least I hope they didn't really think so. Lol

• Like 1

Sounds like the classic case of "1-in-200-women-experience-a-drunken-one-night-stand-and-blanks-out-the-next-morning" syndrome.

• Like 1