Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mahmoud Abbas: "Jesus was 'Palestinian"

Erikl

Abbas in Christmas message: Jesus was 'Palestinian messenger,' role model

'We celebrate Christmas in Bethlehem under occupation,' the Palestinian Authority president said in his statement from Ramallah, reiterating commitment to peace deal.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/1.564989

The Palestinian national narrative is built upon denying the Jewish connection to the land. They claim all sorts of bogus claims about history, but this one actually made me think: does this mean that the Palestinians finally recognizes that Jews lived in Jerusalem, Bethlehem and Nazareth, all part of what they claim to be "eternal" Palestine since times immemorial, 2000 years ago? :P

• Like 1

If he thinks Jesus was a role model, then he's going about following that role model all wrong.

The man wouldn't throw a rock let alone a Molotov Cocktail.

• Like 3

If he thinks Jesus was a role model, then he's going about following that role model all wrong.

The man wouldn't throw a rock let alone a Molotov Cocktail.

John 2:15. He'd braid a whip and toss a table though.

• Like 3

Or bear a shameful Roman cross though he didn't have to ... and that WAS for peace. For us all.
  • Like 1

Or bear a shameful Roman cross though he didn't have to ... and that WAS for peace. For us all.

I agree. I do not think of Him as a violent Man, but one who would do what needed to be done to clean up His Father's house.

• Like 3

Braiding a whip is a good way to make you fingers more nimble.

I agree. I do not think of Him as a violent Man, but one who would do what needed to be done to clean up His Father's house.

Like the Golden Rule, Separation of Church and State, turning the other cheek, and letting he who's without sin cast the first stone. Not a whole lot for Zionist ideology to choose from there.

Like the Golden Rule, Separation of Church and State, turning the other cheek, and letting he who's without sin cast the first stone. Not a whole lot for Zionist ideology to choose from there.

Yes, and not a single one applies to your beloved Palis either - so your point would be?

Yes, and not a single one applies to your beloved Palis either - so your point would be?

Why would I insist or expect non-Christians to act Christian? That's your job! How many of those teachings do you emulate? None. Christianity-FAIL.

• Like 4

The Palestinian national narrative is built upon denying the Jewish connection to the land. They claim all sorts of bogus claims about history, but this one actually made me think: does this mean that the Palestinians finally recognizes that Jews lived in Jerusalem, Bethlehem and Nazareth, all part of what they claim to be "eternal" Palestine since times immemorial, 2000 years ago? :P

Ancient maps prove otherwise.

Palestine%2C_Ptolemy%2C_Claude_R_Conder%2C_1889.jpg

• Like 2

Ancient maps prove otherwise.

Palestine%2C_Ptolemy%2C_Claude_R_Conder%2C_1889.jpg

Source?

Also, look at the date, at the bottom - "c. 100 A.D.".

c. = circa, which is not wrong, since the Romans eradicated Judea off the maps after the Roman-Jewish War of 135 A.D., and renamed it to Philistia (which was only the Philistine cities on the southern shore). They later incorporated it into already existing Roman province of Syria to the north.

The Philistine were not Palestinians, they were a greek speaking people from Crete who colonized the southern shore. They disappeared (probably exiled) after the Babylonian took over the area around the 6th century BC. To the Greeks, who dealt a lot with the Philistines, this thin shoreline was still named Philistia. The Romans, familiar with Jewish narrative, especially chose the name Palestina (Philistia in Latin) both to humiliate the Jews (that their land is now named after their arch-nemesis from the old testament) and also to eradicate any Jewish association with the land.

On the other hand, these are map of ancient Judah, which was an independent kingdom for almost 500 years with few centuries of foreign occupations. since at least 930 BC until 135 A.D is was named Judah/Judea/Iudea/Yehuda. It was also named like that while under foreign occupations of Babylonians, Persians, Greeks and Romans. It is where the Jewish people, and ethno-religious group, was created, where it's formative years were passed, and the last place it flourished culturally and spiritually and not as a persecuted, marginal minority.

Kingdom of Judah - 930 B.C - 586 B.C:

500px-Kingdoms_of_Israel_and_Judah_map_830.svg.png

Yehud-Medinata ("State of Judea" in Aramaic), after the Cyrus declaration, as part of the Persian empire - 539 B.C - 332 B.C (in pink):

Palestine_under_the_Persians_Smith_1915.jpg

Hasmonean Kingdom of Judah, 140-37 B.C (independent kingdom):

Hasmoneese_rijk.PNG

Herodian Kingdom of Judah, still independent, but a client kingdom of the Romans, 37 BC - 4 BC:

Rijk_Herodes_de_Grote.PNG

Iudea Province, part of the Roman empire, until 135 A.D:

First_century_palestine.gif

The reasons you call it Palestine is because of Roman influence on the Western culture. This is the same reason why you call Germany that way (the Romans call it "Germania").

Perhaps some of the Palestinians are descendant of ancient Jews. But they have lost any connection to that heritage and are now part of the same ethnic group that constitutes the majority which encompass the entire middle east, from Morocco to Iraq, that is - Sunni Muslim Arab/Arabized people. This ethnic group has 22 separate states. Now they want a 23. No problem, just stop denying other people the right to their historical places.

If this nonsense and bullsiht ends up causing one of my children to have to go fight in that wasteland, I'm going to be extremely upset.

• Like 5

Maybe he ( Abbas ) said this just to heat up things. Well, most likely he did. I think so because we in Bosnia and Herzegovina are constantly bombarded with things that heat up ethnic relationships - only reason behind it is to divide and rule ( old and prooven strategy - best one ) - 2% of leaders enjoy life while rest of people fight to earn enough for living. And i must mention, we celebrate all holidays together, no matter who follow what religion. Its called respect and only from respect there can be happines and success.

• Like 4

The OP is a fine example of a false dichotomy. Abbas is wrong, therefore the Jews/Israelis must be right.

How about option C - both are wrong.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 3

Maybe he ( Abbas ) said this just to heat up things. Well, most likely he did. I think so because we in Bosnia and Herzegovina are constantly bombarded with things that heat up ethnic relationships - only reason behind it is to divide and rule ( old and prooven strategy - best one ) - 2% of leaders enjoy life while rest of people fight to earn enough for living. And i must mention, we celebrate all holidays together, no matter who follow what religion. Its called respect and only from respect there can be happines and success.

The respect and peaceful coexistence are missing here and I can't envision a time when it will be otherwise so long as children from toddlers to school graduates are taught that Jews aren't even human. I'm not sure what ultra orthodox teach their children but if they say the same things about Palestinians or Muslims in general then I would find them just as much at fault for the problem.
  • Like 2

The respect and peaceful coexistence are missing here and I can't envision a time when it will be otherwise so long as children from toddlers to school graduates are taught that Jews aren't even human. I'm not sure what ultra orthodox teach their children but if they say the same things about Palestinians or Muslims in general then I would find them just as much at fault for the problem.

Peaceful coexistence isn't "economic warfare".

Peaceful coexistence isn't "economic warfare".

and economic warfare is, in your opinion, a valid reason to teach an innocent child that killing another human being is okay because they "aren't really human"?

That they are descendants of apes and swine?

and economic warfare is, in your opinion, a valid reason to teach an innocent child that killing another human being is okay because they "aren't really human"?

That they are descendants of apes and swine?

No that's not my opinion and don't put words in my mouth.

"Economic warfare" must be one of the most terrible (terrifying) examples of tyranny, and yes of course it's just to oppose tyranny.

What kinds of opposition that may/should take the form of is another discussion unto itself. Bombing civilians, as both Israelis and Palestinians do, isn't a form that I would ever recommend or agree with for one second. It's not okay when Irgun does it, when Likud does it, when a settler does it, when Hamas does it, or when the PA or the IDF does it.

I also thought Joesph and Mary were Palestinian, the Jews was Jesus's followers

The bible refers to him as the son of David. David was a descendant of Isaac. In the most technical sense of WHERE he was born, yes he was a Palestinian. If Abbas has his way though, Jesus couldn't live in Palestine today.
  • Like 1

So we're all in agreement then that Jesus was a Palestinian. I don't know why he couldn't live in Palestine though. It would be one of the places to visit where a human tragedy is occurring.

Jesus may tell the Palestinians they're all sinners, but he wouldn't require them to be superhuman not to treat them as inhuman.

Edited by Yamato

So we're all in agreement then that Jesus was a Palestinian. I don't know why he couldn't live in Palestine though. It would be one of the places to visit where a human tragedy is occurring.

Jesus may tell the Palestinians they're all sinners, but he wouldn't require them to be superhuman not to treat them as inhuman.

Had you not heard? Herr Abbas has declared zat all uf the new state of Palestine iss to be judenrein! Since Jesus was definitely born a Jew...well...

I hadn't heard that lie, no. Abbas didn't say that. Using Jews to replace Israelis is a Zionist shell game that doesn't work anymore. It would be better for security if there were no Palestinians in Israel either, so again we're using a single standard, Abbas's standard, that's good enough for both sides, without lying about it.