Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

E.U. Panel Invites Snowden to Testify

questionmark

PARIS — A European Parliament committee has invited Edward J. Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor who has leaked classified government documents and is now in hiding in Russia, to testify via video link as part of an investigation into how to protect the privacy of European citizens.

The Parliament’s Justice and Civil Liberties Committee voted 36-2 with one abstention on Thursday to seek testimony from Mr. Snowden, whose exposures of the reach of surveillance activities by the United States on even its closest allies has raised global awareness about privacy issues and deeply embarrassed the Obama administration. Mr. Snowden has become a hero among civil liberty advocates in both Europe and the United States.

However, some dissenting voices in the Parliament tried to block the invitation, with some conservative members calling Mr. Snowden a scourge who had put national security at risk and others warning that inviting him could undermine Europe’s relations with the United States.

Read more

It's a trap!! the NSA will put a trace on him! Don't do it Ed!!

• Like 2

He should turn them down. Not for the above reason.

Edited by OverSword

He should turn them down. Not for the above reason.

Why should he?

It's a trap!! the NSA will put a trace on him! Don't do it Ed!!

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that's all it is.

Why should he?

He accomplished his goal by awakening the American people to what was going on. Time now to be obscure.
  • Like 1

He accomplished his goal by awakening the American people to what was going on. Time now to be obscure.

So far he can't afford to go obscure, 'cause if he does the week after he will be sitting in Leavenworth (if he is that lucky). His only chance of survival is to keep in the limelight. Unless of course some people swallow their pride and offer him a nice retirement in the US for telling them who knows what by now.

Has any good come from Snowden's actions? so far the only thing he has done is put us at risk, day after day the security services keep us safe. Snowden has made their job harder, and what for? just so people who love a good conspiracy can have a moment in the sun. trouble is after a few weeks this sun sets, and they go on about their business, oblivious, as Snowden fades from the memory - yet the damage has been done, and the long term and ever on going job of security of the Nation continues. but why should they care they've fulfilled their incessant need to be privy to sensitive information state secrets, even though knowing hasnt changed their day to day life one iota. but at least they can say aaaaahh.

Snowden should be handed over, and face the music, have his day in court and take what comes his wayThe ability to accept responsibility is the measure of the man. but with no moral backbone he cowers in some airport departure lounge in countries who have a long history of being enemies of the West. yes some people are backing a real winner.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by stevewinn

Has any good come from Snowden's actions? so far the only thing he has done is put us at risk, day after day the security services keep us safe. Snowden has made their job harder, and what for? just so people who love a good conspiracy can have a moment in the sun. trouble is after a few weeks this sun sets, and they go on about their business, oblivious, as Snowden fades from the memory - yet the damage has been done, and the long term and ever on going job of security of the Nation continues. but why should they care they've fulfilled their incessant need to be privy to sensitive information state secrets, even though knowing hasnt changed their day to day life one iota. but at least they can say aaaaahh.

Snowden should be handed over, and face the music, have his day in court and take what comes his way. The ability to accept responsibility is the measure of the man. but with no moral backbone he cowers in some airport departure lounge in countries who have a long history of being enemies of the West. yes some people are backing a real winner.

[media=]

[/media]

If you don't have a problem with your government spying on you (as preventive measure) and to treat you as potential terrorist Snowden has done nothing good.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 2

If you don't have a problem with your government spying on you (as preventive measure) and to treat you as potential terrorist Snowden has done nothing good.

What I do have a problem with is the idea that a government should not keep an eye on it's citizens and just hope everything goes ok.

• Like 1

What I do have a problem with is the idea that a government should not keep an eye on it's citizens and just hope everything goes ok.

See, that is the difference between those who like liberty and those who want a nanny state.

• Like 3

See, that is the difference between those who like liberty and those who want a nanny state.

"Those who like liberty and those who want a nanny state"....lol...i'd expect that kind of simplistic answer from a 12yr old, not you. So you think liberty is sustainable with no checks and balances on those within it's borders, interesting.......i'd suggest your 'liberty' would be short lived with such a naive approach.

• Like 1

"Those who like liberty and those who want a nanny state"....lol...i'd expect that kind of simplistic answer from a 12yr old, not you. So you think liberty is sustainable with no checks and balances on those within it's borders, interesting.......i'd suggest your 'liberty' would be short lived with such a naive approach.

Checks and balances are not supposing that everybody is guilty unless otherwise proven. And that is the supposition when the government installs supervising items within your private sphere.

• Like 1

Checks and balances are not supposing that everybody is guilty unless otherwise proven. And that is the supposition when the government installs supervising items within your private sphere.

Utter rubbish - the movement of info through the means of technology has never been a private sphere, what on earth gives you the idea that it is and should be your own private sphere?

Utter rubbish - the movement of info through the means of technology has never been a private sphere, what on earth gives you the idea that it is and should be your own private sphere?

So that telephone and e-mail control by the NSA is not? We are not talking about a few video cameras here, we are talking about monitoring all electronic communications and keeping phone data of people whether they have done something or not for large periods of time.

Before you scream utter rubbish inform yourself about what is actually going on... unless you are trying to obfuscate the whole thing here.

• Like 2

So that telephone and e-mail control by the NSA is not? We are not talking about a few video cameras here, we are talking about monitoring all electronic communications and keeping phone data of people whether they have done something or not for large periods of time.

Before you scream utter rubbish inform yourself about what is actually going on... unless you are trying to obfuscate the whole thing here.

I'm aware what is going on, what I wasn't aware of though is just how many people thought that electronic communication was there own private sphere :unsure2: ...there has only ever been one private sphere, and that is a face to face conversation in privacy, nothing else has ever been private. The idea that security agencies wouldn't keep data collected for a period of time of the fastest and easiest communication method on the planet is laughable, yet not quite as laughable as the idea that they shouldn't do that and instead should leave it alone in the hope that it is only used for good intent.

• Like 1

I'm aware what is going on, what I wasn't aware of though is just how many people thought that electronic communication was there own private sphere :unsure2: ...there has only ever been one private sphere, and that is a face to face conversation in privacy, nothing else has ever been private. The idea that security agencies wouldn't keep data collected for a period of time of the fastest and easiest communication method on the planet is laughable, yet not quite as laughable as the idea that they shouldn't do that and instead should leave it alone in the hope that it is only used for good intent.

I have no qualms with a judge ordering any government agency to monitor anybody on probable cause, I am surely against monitoring anybody just because they can. And that has been going on and has to stop.

• Like 3

Other then the fact that they are spying on every citizen I also have a huge problem with the fact that at first they LIED about it to the American people on national TV. And then Snowden come out with the information and the governments like ... okay well actually we are spying on everyone.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

Other then the fact that they are spying on every citizen I also have a huge problem with the fact that at first they LIED about it to the American people on national TV. And then Snowden come out with the information and the governments like ... okay well actually we are spying on everyone.

Well, I have no problem with that as I was pretty sure they did and would.

Well, I have no problem with that as I was pretty sure they did and would.

I understand that a lot of things they need to keep secret for various reasons. I just feel that if the whole population is being monitored that we should at least of been told it was happening. We should at least have to right to know about it.

That's how I see it anyways.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

I understand that a lot of things they need to keep secret for various reasons. I just feel that if the whole population is being monitored that we should at least of been told it was happening. We should at least have to right to know about it.

That's how I see it anyways.

Well, my reason for not being angry is that I knew that they would never admit any wrong doing ...or any right doing for the case

I have no qualms with a judge ordering any government agency to monitor anybody on probable cause, I am surely against monitoring anybody just because they can. And that has been going on and has to stop.

When it comes to other law enforcement agencies I agree the order should come through a judge. When it comes to the security services and special forces they should have two goals in mind - staying ahead of their counterparts in those agencies in foreign countries, and using whatever means to stay ahead. Had I been a US citizen at the time this broke I would have been quietly impressed at the scope of people and politicians they were either monitoring, or who's data they were storing for a short period of time. My own countries role doesn't surprise me, or annoy me, what would annoy me is if they were not using every means possible to do their job.

When it comes to other law enforcement agencies I agree the order should come through a judge. When it comes to the security services and special forces they should have two goals in mind - staying ahead of their counterparts in those agencies in foreign countries, and using whatever means to stay ahead. Had I been a US citizen at the time this broke I would have been quietly impressed at the scope of people and politicians they were either monitoring, or who's data they were storing for a short period of time. My own countries role doesn't surprise me, or annoy me, what would annoy me is if they were not using every means possible to do their job.

There is only one law to enforce no matter if criminal or political, and you don't enforce laws by breaking them, you just create a justification to break the law.

Questionmark didnt even watch the video i posted with the three United Kingdom intelligence agencies. GCHQ, MI5 and MI6 who were questioned by the select committee before replying. even though they do explain to a certain degree how they collect their information. this blanket approach to data collection of every single citizen is simply not true. as they say in the video. unfortunately for them terrorist use the same communication networks as law abiding citizens.

The head of MI5 explains the job they have, by using the analogy of a field full of hay with needles. the job is to gather all that hey. then find the needles or fragments of needles. the hay is of no importance. and even then they have to seek permission by law from a panel of judges to obtain or look at the data.

people worried about the government listening in to your phone calls. or e mails or any communication for that matter, what have you got to hide. or are you that important your on a secret service watch list.

i dont know about anyone else. but the government could access all my information in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Questionmark didnt even watch the video i posted with the three United Kingdom intelligence agencies. GCHQ, MI5 and MI6 who were questioned by the select committee before replying. even though they do explain to a certain degree how they collect their information. this blanket approach to data collection of every single citizen is simply not true. as they say in the video. unfortunately for them terrorist use the same communication networks as law abiding citizens.

The head of MI5 explains the job they have, by using the analogy of a field full of hay with needles. the job is to gather all that hey. then find the needles or fragments of needles. the hay is of no importance. and even then they have to seek permission by law from a panel of judges to obtain or look at the data.

people worried about the government listening in to your phone calls. or e mails or any communication for that matter, what have you got to hide. or are you that important your on a secret service watch list.

i dont know about anyone else. but the government could access all my information in a heartbeat.

If you expect any Spook agency to ever tell the truth unless they are forced to (by evidence) you better burn your copy of the Magna Charta. It does you no good.

• Like 2