Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

West Virginia Chemical Spill

Princess Serenity

Officials Warn Residents Not To Use WV American Water Following Chemical Leak

1x1spacer.gif

Reported: Jan. 9, 2014 1:21 PM EST

Updated: Jan. 10, 2014 8:19 AM EST

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (Heath Harrison, Kallie Cart, Rick Lord) – Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin declared a state of emergency Thursday and residents in eight West Virginia counties were told not to use their water due to a chemical leak.

West Virginia American Water has issued a public notice for their customers to not use their water, and the notice has now expanded to eight counties.

Kanawha, Boone, Putnam, Lincoln, Logan, Clay, Roane and Jackson counties were affected. The Culloden area of Cabell County was also also affected.

Article

--

Can't believe there isn't a topic about this. I just saw this bit from my friend who gave people an update:

As someone who does live in WV, I’d like to update this. The spill was in Charleston so this only applies to the southern counties.

More specifically: Boone, Cabell, Clay, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Putnam and Roane counties

Also, the Walmarts and other stores there are being major butts* and have jacked up the price of bottled water to like $70. It’s absurd.

Oh Walmart. You can't help people couldn't you?

* Replaced with another word.

Edited by Princess Serenity
  • Like 1

They actually havent jacked their prices. and ultimately this wont be a big deal.

the chemical compound isnt toxic. they're just being cautious.

I live here. We like to have a mass panic every year or so

• Like 3

Yeah, it's a MESS over here. People are rushing all over the place to find bottled water. Luckily, I haven't had to go out because my parents prepare for stuff like this. The power goes out easily in this house, and when that happens we don't get water. I have friends who live near the place where the chemical leak occurred, and they've suddenly become ill. 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol is the name of the chemical I think.

And no offense, but your friend must be exaggerating. I called my friend up, and he works at a Wal-Mart. He says the price only went up to $6. the price of water is the same as it is everywhere else. It wouldn't look good on them if they were charging that much for bottled water. I HAVE seen people selling packs of water for $15-20 in areas where water is sold out. That's cold.

Edited by UFO_Monster

No water? I go on the neat whiskey when that happens over here. (jokin)

Stay safe, pilgrims!

• Like 2

I doubt my friend's lying because she isn't the one to lie. I believe her. I told dad about it and he said the manager would be looking for a new job when the corporate office finds out.

• Like 1

Even if they did jack up the prices, you cant go a 1/4 mile without places handing out free water.

Although, again. The prices haven't been jacked. I just went and bought a few cases and the prices are unchanged.

I HAVE seen people selling packs of water for $15-20 in areas where water is sold out. That's cold.

No, that is capitalism.

• Like 3

Interesting I have family in Clay. Maybe I could give em a call to get another inside scoop on it

Well I live in Charleston. They are slowly opening up useage and allowing people to flush their internal plumbing lines and water heaters. Right now, it's just the central downtown area but hopefully it will expand quickly.

The chemical isn't toxic...it can cause skin irritation, possibly vomiting and diarhea if ingested.

It's been a hassle the last few days but folks will survive and be fine...we are Mountaineers after all...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 3

One day something may be dumped in our water supply that is toxic then what are we going to do. I think some companies should not be allowed to operate so close to our rivers and streams or do anything to poison our underground water like fracking.

Im no expert on this but I always assumed that we had a purification facility to clean the water before it got pumped to people? Or maybe that's only in some places. Im pretty sure where I grew up it was like that.

But shouldn't the water get purified then like before people drink from their sink?

I doubt my friend's lying because she isn't the one to lie. I believe her. I told dad about it and he said the manager would be looking for a new job when the corporate office finds out.

That's probably true, because the WV attorney general has already warned businesses against price-gouging.

Here's an update on the water situation from ABC: http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=21512649

The ban was lifted yesterday according to the report.

It is lifted in some places. I live up on top of a mountain over the city and we are still under the ban as of 6:00 am this morning...

The water is still not safe to drink, even in declared "safe zones."

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2014/01/16/exp-tsr-jean-casarez-cnn-tests-west-virginia-water.cnn.html

Not that I needed this video to tell me that. It just confirms what I already know. Last night a heavy, light brown liquid poured out of my shower head. Luckily I did not hop in before I caught that. :angry:

We got cleared today. Ran the water a lot longer than they said and it seems good.

The chemical, MCHM (4-methyl-cyclohexane-methanol) is not toxic. If it was, there would literally be thousands of dead miners. It is used in a particular coal preparation and cleaning process called "flocking" which is used to process "fines"...which is how they describe basically pulverized (powdered) coal. Different prep plants and coal companies use different methods to do this but the flocking agent is not new or unusual.

I have worked around coal mines and prep plants for years in contruction engineering. I am not afraid to get this chemical on me....not that I would want to drink a big glass of it either. This has been so blown out of the water it is actually pathetic. I showered several times before the ban was lifted and I got no skin rash or any ailments...cause I knew I wouldn't and wasn't looking for an excuse to get attention...or break it off in someone in a law suit.

Folks can do or think whatever they wish...unless you are drinking this stuff from the flotation and flocking cells...you will be just fine.

• Like 2

The Daily Show and Jason Jones did a great piece on this sad event. They showed some old clips of various government officials over the years saying how "terrorists" and AQ could poison our water systems as an act of terror against the people of the US.

Now that the water has been poisoned, is it still considered an act of terror? Because it was not AQ, but rather a US corporation, is poisoning the water supply still considered to be an act of terror?...... :innocent:

• Like 1

The Daily Show and Jason Jones did a great piece on this sad event. They showed some old clips of various government officials over the years saying how "terrorists" and AQ could poison our water systems as an act of terror against the people of the US.

Now that the water has been poisoned, is it still considered an act of terror? Because it was not AQ, but rather a US corporation, is poisoning the water supply still considered to be an act of terror?...... :innocent:

Nah, it's gonna' be considered "job creation" soon. Just watch.

• Like 2

Coal companies have been doing this for many years actually. I already knew this, but still---it makes me want to leave this state knowing how much these people destroy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mchm-is-nothing-new-in-our-water-2014-1