Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Politicians call for return of firing squad

Still Waters

Politicians in two American states have called for the right to carry out executions by firing squad, if they are unable to obtain drugs for lethal injections.

Pharmaceutical companies which oppose the death penalty have stopped producing the necessary chemicals for lethal injections, making it increasingly hard to source the required drugs.

http://www.telegraph...injections.html

Seems more reasonable than the gross10-15 min suffocation moment.

• Like 1

What strikes me is the Warden in question, stated that a death row inmate does not have the right to a painless execution.

• Like 2

Iv always felt a gun shot made so much more sense then lethal injections.

• Like 2

why do they need an entire squad?

one well placed bullet to the brain is sufficient

Normally they have an entire squad because only one person has the bullet in his gun. That way no one knows who it was that killed the person. I guess it helps people not have guilt for killing someone. supposedly

• Like 2

Pharmaceutical companies which oppose the death penalty have stopped producing the necessary chemicals for lethal injections

This week a man from Ohio suffered a long and agonising death when a new chemical was used for the first time - owing to a lack of usual lethal injections.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10581563/Wyoming-and-Missouri-politicians-call-for-use-of-firing-squad-as-America-runs-out-of-lethal-injections.html

A new chemical? and who supplied that? pharmaceutical companies have never really striked me as a compassionate bunch of folks. If they are not supplying the drug, I would imagine it is more down to a cost thing than down to a caring thing!

Sorry but without knowing what the person on death row did to their victims, then I really can not say if I agree with the prolonged death or not, because some of the...well, 26mins is still far shorter a time of pain than what they put their victims through.

harsh? yeah, I guess so.

• Like 2

Normally they have an entire squad because only one person has the bullet in his gun. That way no one knows who it was that killed the person. I guess it helps people not have guilt for killing someone. supposedly

that's sort of backward then isn't it?it's ok to do it but no one wants the blood on their hands.

i can't say that i agree with the death penalty but if you're going to do it then do it and stop p***ing around about it.

don't keep them alive for twenty some odd years on the tax payer's wallet. just do it.

• Like 1

...i can't say that i agree with the death penalty but if you're going to do it then do it and stop p***ing around about it.

don't keep them alive for twenty some odd years on the tax payer's wallet. just do it.

This guy and 142 others would have been wrongfully executed though.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-another-exoneration-death-row-reginald-griffin-missouri

that's sort of backward then isn't it?it's ok to do it but no one wants the blood on their hands.

i can't say that i agree with the death penalty but if you're going to do it then do it and stop p***ing around about it.

The overall costs of an exuction in the US, inluding court costs, maintenance of the devices, training of the guards, etc, is a lot higher than simply putting him in prison for the rest of his life, if I recall right.

• Like 1

The overall costs of an exuction in the US, inluding court costs, maintenance of the devices, training of the guards, etc, is a lot higher than simply putting him in prison for the rest of his life, if I recall right.

all the more reason to just take him or her out back and execute the sentence immediately.

as i said i am not necessarily for the death penalty but if it's going to be implemented then it should be done in a timely and inexpensive manner.

• Like 1

all the more reason to just take him or her out back and execute the sentence immediately.

as i said i am not necessarily for the death penalty but if it's going to be implemented then it should be done in a timely and inexpensive manner.

But what if he/she's the wrong one? In a society like ours, it's only fair to grant someone confronted with a terminal sentence you take advantage of every possibility they have to attack the sentence if they deem themselves not guitly. You either do that, or you abstain from capitol punishment.

More enlightened states like Illinois have abolished the death penalty.

death-penalty-and-wristbands-by-state2.jpg

But what if he/she's the wrong one? In a society like ours, it's only fair to grant someone confronted with a terminal sentence you take advantage of every possibility they have to attack the sentence if they deem themselves not guitly. You either do that, or you abstain from capitol punishment.

some places do abstain from it.

those that do not take the chance of killing the wrong person. it's very tragic indeed. that's the problem with the death penalty.

• Like 1

I hate state-sponsored executions.

What purpose does it serve? And how are we then better than the condemened? I don't get it.

• Like 3

Ah, do away with the due process of American law. Good suggestion. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

I'm against the DP, but states that feel they MUST have it, why don't they just use the gas chamber, and replace the oxygen in the chamber with CO2 or nitrogen? It's supposedly painless and the victim just goes to sleep.

Edited by Neognosis
  • Like 1

I dont' think it's gotten that bad... i guess SOME politicians call for firing squads... but not all.

I think i'm anti death penalty. But if it must be done why can't someone figure out an easy way to get it over with? Lethal Injection seems too expensive and sometimes unreliable? and inhumane / inhuman . I'd like to see an almost Entirely different prison system .

• Like 1

I dont' think it's gotten that bad... i guess SOME politicians call for firing squads... but not all.

I think i'm anti death penalty. But if it must be done why can't someone figure out an easy way to get it over with? Lethal Injection seems too expensive and sometimes unreliable? and inhumane / inhuman . I'd like to see an almost Entirely different prison system .

Easy way to get it over with - that's a firing squad IMO.

when i had my tonsils out as a kid... the Dr. put an ether soaked thingy over my breathing holes... and told me to count backward from 100... i got to about 96 and i was OUT! They could have executed me right then, by a number of quick and quiet methods, and i'd never have known.

Easy way to get it over with - that's a firing squad IMO.

I'd say a neck shot or a guillotine, but not a firing squad.

While that sounds reasonable in theory, if you're firing a rifle and can't tell the difference in the amount of force against your shoulder between a live round and a blank one, you shouldn't be allowed to carry one.

• Like 1

I am strongly against death penalty as there are better ways to punish. Even if its death penalty its still a murder to execute it.

And in case of someone who killed many, death penalty is not a punishment but a release. Why not make worst offenders, murderers and rapists work in mines or something like that, so they can work instead being an expense for a state. No one should decide if someone should live or die and if someone murder then he should pay but not with his life as he can be used as he did use his victims.

• Like 1

What if he misses, do they just keep trying?

I am strongly against death penalty as there are better ways to punish. Even if its death penalty its still a murder to execute it.

And in case of someone who killed many, death penalty is not a punishment but a release. Why not make worst offenders, murderers and rapists work in mines or something like that, so they can work instead being an expense for a state. No one should decide if someone should live or die and if someone murder then he should pay but not with his life as he can be used as he did use his victims.

Because if you did that it could start a whole new set of problems like we need more prisoners to work the mines.

Why not bring back public hangings. Let everyone see what will happen if you murder someone.

• Like 1