Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Help clarify this Hy-Brasil/Atlantis thing?

Soul Kitchen

Well i guess not i find the whole topic very interesting and hope we can find out more about the mysterious island. the island is almost circular as well so that could be where the whole idea of it being completely circular came from because the maps back then were not particularly accurate. The person who posted it said he/she has more pictures i wonder if he/she went on the island.

I also see no advanced civilization, magicians tower or giant black rabbits.

Edited by kinbur

I know this thread is quite old now but i wanted to share this as it seems not to have been posted already but this is apparently what the island looks like but there is no confirmation.

http://www.panoramio.../photo/54594056

I found it when typing in the coordinates of the island stated in the ancient aliens TV show.

It's fake. It's picture of Darwin island of Galapagos. Here is original source:

http://www.migramar.org/images/desktop_images/Unknown_photographer_Darwin_Island_Arch_1680x1050.jpg

Darwin Island:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Island

• 6 months later...

post-129264-0-61857900-1338075270_thumb.

I personally think that the two Skellig Islands are the most likly candidates for Hy-Brasil.

Hello I am new here

I read most of this topic although I could have missed something (reading all of it in 2 hours)

In 1980 I discovered Inis Oirr and since 2001 I visit this island every year, which is the smallest of the 3 Aran islands in Galwaybay

It must have been in 2002 that I was walking in the south of the island looking into SW direction when I saw an island out there that I did not see before. In the evening I went to the local pub where I told my observation to the natives

They were not impressed and told me

"Ohh you saw Hi Brazil, it appears very 6 or 7 years"

After that I never saw the island again, but I will go to Inis Oirr next oct.

I remember a story of one of you who talked to a priest who also said 6 or 7 years

anyways, I do not believe the two Skellig Islands ara the solution

I remember there is a documentary about hi brazil made by TG4

but I cannot find it back

Edited by calan

...time to walk away and put the paddles down. Your attempts to resurrect this dead thread seem not to be working.

--Jaylemurph

On the subject of whether there was any earthquake or tsunami activity in the 1700's that might account for the disappearance of Hy-Brasil... I havent read all of the posts, so maybe someone has covered this already. But I did some searching on Google and I encountered this website:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/history/65636-1755-1761-tsunamis-ireland.html

Basically, in 1755 and 1761 there was two major earthquakes in the sea just west of Lisbon in Portugal. Aside from laying waste to Lisbon and any nearby areas, the tremors and the tsunamis that followed were experienced throughout the whole of Europe (or at least as far away as Holland, Norway and Sweden). There seem to be some disagreement on how extensive the damage was in Ireland and the UK. However, I found this bit to be quite interesting:

"As per the Site of the Irish Marine Institute: On November 1st, 1755, a series of tsunamis lasting more than seven hours tore at the south west coast of Ireland, “wrecking fishing boats around Kinsale” and “even damaging coastal buildings as far north as Galway Bay”

In any case, if southern Ireland was adversely affected by these events, then I can only imagine what it would do to the relatively small and remote island of Hy-Brasil. I guess it also depends on the layout of the island itself...

If for example it was a low lying, flat island relatively close to the sea level, then perhaps the repeated tsunamis simply washed it away? Or if we assume it was a volcanic island - could the 1755 or 1761 earthquakes have triggered a volcanic eruption, or perhaps the shifting of the tectonic plates caused the island to sink?

I found an interesting article that relates to this subject: http://news.yahoo.com/massive-earthquakes-volcanoes-sink-123652503.html

Of course, this is only relevant if we assume that the island really was an island, and not a UFO or some such...

• 5 months later...

In 1980 I discovered Inis Oirr and since 2001 I visit this island every year, which is the smallest of the 3 Aran islands in Galwaybay

It must have been in 2002 that I was walking in the south of the island looking into SW direction when I saw an island out there that I did not see before. In the evening I went to the local pub where I told my observation to the natives

They were not impressed and told me

"Ohh you saw Hi Brazil, it appears very 6 or 7 years"

The top of Mt. Brandon, on the Irish mainland in Dingle, should be just above the horizon to the southwest of Inis Oirr. It's possible that it's only occasionally visible.

Sadly, local people in pubs are not always truthful, especially to vacationers.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 1

Hello PersonFromPorlock,

Can you recall with any degree of accuracy where you were when you saw ... whatever you saw? (Were you on the shoreline, in a car on a road (and which road), in front of a particular pub, or whatever?) This would help approximate your eye-above-sea level.

Inis Oirr is, at most, 197' high. If you are 6' tall, add, 5.75', giving an eye level of 203.75' above sea level--meaning that the (naked-eye) horizon would be a maximum of 17.5 miles away. If you are standing on the shoreline, that distance would be reduced to less than 3 miles. Given the fairly specific direction you give, of "SW," that presents a very small area of sea and so close to land, in which to hide an island. If there was one there, or anything at all just below the surface, everybody would know about it. (There would have to be a lighthouse on it.) I think this makes my case, that 'Ui-Breasil is not a place, but an effect --of light, temperature, and humidity, etc.

(I can't figure out why, and I'm trying to sort it out, but the link I gave in my earlier posts keeps displaying a superseded version of my document, "Hy-Brasil: Myth, Fact--or Aliens?" The correct version is 1.02.01.

Hello PersonFromPorlock,

Can you recall with any degree of accuracy where you were when you saw ... whatever you saw? (Were you on the shoreline, in a car on a road (and which road), in front of a particular pub, or whatever?) This would help approximate your eye-above-sea level.

Inis Oirr is, at most, 197' high. If you are 6' tall, add, 5.75', giving an eye level of 203.75' above sea level--meaning that the (naked-eye) horizon would be a maximum of 17.5 miles away. If you are standing on the shoreline, that distance would be reduced to less than 3 miles. Given the fairly specific direction you give, of "SW," that presents a very small area of sea and so close to land, in which to hide an island. If there was one there, or anything at all just below the surface, everybody would know about it. (There would have to be a lighthouse on it.) I think this makes my case, that 'Ui-Breasil is not a place, but an effect --of light, temperature, and humidity, etc.

(I can't figure out why, and I'm trying to sort it out, but the link I gave in my earlier posts keeps displaying a superseded version of my document, "Hy-Brasil: Myth, Fact--or Aliens?" The correct version is 1.02.01.

Good questions, but they should be directed to 'calan'. FYI, I used the equation:

distance to horizon (in nautical miles) = 1.23 X square root of the height of the object (in feet).

For a very rough calculation, I used a height of 3000 feet for Mt. Brandon and ignored the height of the observer. More precisely, taking Mt. Brandon as being 3000 ft high and the observer's eyes being 200 ft high, the mountain would be on the observer's horizon from just under 85 nautical miles away. Since Inis Oirr is ~65 nm from the mountain, it should be well above the horizon unless obscured by haze.

• 1 month later...

Re binary code that was seemingly imprinted in Jim Penniston's mind...

An article in Scientific American, "Is Space Digital?" (April 2012), discusses the holographic principle, the possibility that 2D light sheets record all the information in our universe, including the position of every particle, electron, quark and neutrino and every force that acts on them. Although physicists don’t know how the information is encoded or how that information gives rise to the world, they speculate that it is encoded digitally with something like 1's and 0's. Craig Hogan, a physicist at the University of Chicago and a director at the Fermilab Particle Astrophysics Center, is attempting to determine if the universe is composed of the 0’s and 1’s that make up bits of information.

If our universe does record all the information in it using 1's and 0's, could it be this information that was, accidentally or intentionally, imprinted in Jim Penniston's mind? On the website www.rendleshamforestincident.com, they mention that when they go to investigate the strange lights in the forest, "As Penniston and Burroughs approached the unusual lights, they noticed abnormal sensations on their hair, skin and clothing. It seemed as though the air was electrically charged. Also, a time distortion occurred. According to the men, time seemed as though is slowed and it was difficult to move. Another odd characteristic, was everything was void of sound." Could it be that some kind of spacetime warping/distortion occurred that unintentionally exposed Penniston to the 2D light sheets in that particular moment in spacetime? If this hypothesis happened to be the case, there would currently be no way to decode those 1s and 0s. They might be related to particle physics, but who knows.

Just throwing that thought into the debate.

• 2 months later...

I know this is old but still...

Found this video:

Showing the Skellig islands, the fog does make it extremely phantom-like. That's gotta be it...

• 9 years later...

The Rendlesham Forest UFO message gives a Lat and Long which people say is Hy-Brasil.  However the UFO message doesn't say Hy-Brasil,  it's just a waypoint about 200 miles to the West of Ireland. Discounting the Hy-Brasil myth for a moment, have there ever been any unusual sightings at this waypoint?

I was thinkinging of a sailing trip to this waypoint to investigate but would need more information of sightings (?) to go on.

Skygods

The Rendlesham Forest UFO message gives a Lat and Long which people say is Hy-Brasil.  However the UFO message doesn't say Hy-Brasil,  it's just a waypoint about 200 miles to the West of Ireland. Discounting the Hy-Brasil myth for a moment, have there ever been any unusual sightings at this waypoint?

I was thinkinging of a sailing trip to this waypoint to investigate but would need more information of sightings (?) to go on.

Skygods

56 minutes ago, Trelane said:

Yikes!!!

2046846411_threadnecro.jpg.cf14a49eafdf34ff0a2f24d43f73b8d2.jpg

lol

1145E26B-5085-48C7-A769-9FC53792A845.jpeg

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, The Puzzler said:

lol

1145E26B-5085-48C7-A769-9FC53792A845.jpeg

Well, its in keeping with the topic of an mythological island that reappears only after many years have passed...

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Skygods said:

Skygods

I'm quite certain there was a - short-lived - thread about this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skygods said:

Skygods

Lemme guess...Linda Moulton Howe.......

......****ing screwball....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2