Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists grow working human lungs in a lab

UM-Bot

In a world first, a fully functional pair of human lungs has been grown by researchers in a laboratory.

Scientists at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston achieved the feat by stripping one pair of lungs down to its main base components, producing a scaffold-like structure.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/262564/scientists-grow-working-human-lungs-in-a-lab

• Like 2

Will the usual people cite that the article is from Fox news and declare it a lie?

OK, sorry about that, this is good news.

• Like 2

Wow this is Great News, Things will be very interesting in the near Future. Replacing internal organs will become very common place. We must and Will Continue with this research.

Wasn't this done a few years ago? Or am I thinking of another organ? I know that I read somewhere that this was being done.

i remember being fascinated when i saw them growing an ear on a rat's back to transplant to a human. this totally trumps that!

• Like 2

My generations lifespan will sure be interesting

If we can take a patient's own cells and grow new lungs (or any organ) then you eliminate the rejection problem.

• Like 1

Anything to expand the human life is a bad idea, we are over populated as it is and we want to prolong death?

I'm starting to think they should change the name of this sight to "fully explained not so much mysteries as just everyday news".

Anything to expand the human life is a bad idea, we are over populated as it is and we want to prolong death?

Fear of new tech seems to be a human thing. Also the human population is projected to stop and even out at 7 bill(I think) by 2050. Because people are having less and less kids.

And if you really believe what you said then maybe you should stop taking vaccines or any surgery's. Your life has been expanded compared to people in the past.

Fear of new tech seems to be a human thing. Also the human population is projected to stop and even out at 7 bill(I think) by 2050. Because people are having less and less kids.

And if you really believe what you said then maybe you should stop taking vaccines or any surgery's. Your life has been expanded compared to people in the past.

I have no fear of new technology at all, I just don't like being able to extend the human life, as it is I see us as parasites. You really think that the population will even itself out?? Honestly, I can't see that happening anytime soon

I haven't had a single vaccine in years (never got seriously sick after I stopped having them btw). Never had a need for surgery either. But what you are doing is trying to do is compare apples with oranges here, Having a surgery for broken bones or something is way different to having surgery to replace you heart or something like that. Fixing what is broken is a necessity in this century where as replacing something is not. You die when you are meant to die not just have your organs replaced.

I have no fear of new technology at all, I just don't like being able to extend the human life, as it is I see us as parasites. You really think that the population will even itself out?? Honestly, I can't see that happening anytime soon

I haven't had a single vaccine in years (never got seriously sick after I stopped having them btw). Never had a need for surgery either. But what you are doing is trying to do is compare apples with oranges here, Having a surgery for broken bones or something is way different to having surgery to replace you heart or something like that. Fixing what is broken is a necessity in this century where as replacing something is not. You die when you are meant to die not just have your organs replaced.

I think you're missing the point, although I for the most part, agree with your post.

Organ replacement such as this, will come in great use for those who die well before their time. Take for instance a small child 6 years old or so who needs a new heart. If there is no one else available to give a heart that matches, the one grown in the lab will do just fine. I agree that when it's your time, it's your time, but not when it's 30+ years before the average age of death.

I think you're missing the point, although I for the most part, agree with your post.

Organ replacement such as this, will come in great use for those who die well before their time. Take for instance a small child 6 years old or so who needs a new heart. If there is no one else available to give a heart that matches, the one grown in the lab will do just fine. I agree that when it's your time, it's your time, but not when it's 30+ years before the average age of death.

If that is all it would be used for, go for it I am on board 100% because stuff like that is completely unfair to the child but we all know that it won't only be reserved for that. Most likely the elites will have it (if not already) for a few good years before it gets released to us and from there even more chaos with life expectancy in the 100's ruining this planet even further....but in saying that I guess I would rather live forever in a human body than in a android body.

My general point is that we should not look into making ourselves essentially immortal. It would not be good for us or nature in the long run, in the short term it sounds awesome. Growing human limbs, how wouldn't that sound cool, but in the long run it is a bad idea.

Im heart broken, can they grow me a working heart?

I almost felt bad for you. Can they grow me a conscience?

• Like 1

Then I can assume you will no longer seek medical care if sick and refuse any medication that could stave off infection and/or death? If you have kids then the same for them right? Let the little buggers die and decrease the surplus population for the good of all.

Edited by Merc14

I think this is amazing, almost as amazing as healing ARDS with liquid ventilation.

Of course, the U. O Tx is where they lost all those anthrax vials. Hmmmm!

I think this research will be for the rich only.

Edited by regeneratia

Stem cells can repair it.

Then I can assume you will no longer seek medical care if sick and refuse any medication that could stave off infection and/or death? If you have kids then the same for them right? Let the little buggers die and decrease the surplus population for the good of all.

I haven't sought medical care in years, as I stated in an earlier post, I stopped have shots years ago (when I was around 12 -13) and I haven't gotten majorly sick since, when I had shots I was sick at least 7 times in 6 months. And as andy4 brought about about kids getting replacement organs or the such, I 100% agree that it could and should be used for that except I highly doubt it will be only used for that.

What you are pretty much doing is 1. Not reading previous posts and 2. Trying to play the "let the kids die" card to make me seem like the bad guy. Mate I know all about manipulating people into seeing your way by structuring your words right, so don't try it on me.

I haven't sought medical care in years, as I stated in an earlier post, I stopped have shots years ago (when I was around 12 -13) and I haven't gotten majorly sick since, when I had shots I was sick at least 7 times in 6 months. And as andy4 brought about about kids getting replacement organs or the such, I 100% agree that it could and should be used for that except I highly doubt it will be only used for that.

What you are pretty much doing is 1. Not reading previous posts and 2. Trying to play the "let the kids die" card to make me seem like the bad guy. Mate I know all about manipulating people into seeing your way by structuring your words right, so don't try it on me.

I think your reasoning is that we shouldn't be trying to extend peoples life past when they should die, past "normal". Correct me if im wrong with that.

But the problem I have with your reasoning is that todays "normal" is different from yesterdays "normal". So why should we not try to extend peoples lives when we have been trying to extend them for all of history? isn't just a natural human thing to try to keep improving our survival? If you where born a couple centuries from now you view of "normal" would be different then it is now.

I think your reasoning is that we shouldn't be trying to extend peoples life past when they should die, past "normal". Correct me if im wrong with that.

But the problem I have with your reasoning is that todays "normal" is different from yesterdays "normal". So why should we not try to extend peoples lives when we have been trying to extend them for all of history? isn't just a natural human thing to try to keep improving our survival? If you where born a couple centuries from now you view of "normal" would be different then it is now.

That and if you work till 67 which some of us might have to then an extra few years might be a good larf (if we're not peeing ourselves by then).

Edited by mesuma

Over the years we have invented medicine to improve our standard of living, none of which makes us essentially immortal, we still are born and we still die aka the circle of life.

With scientists able to grow organs to replace ones that fail with age is not natural at all. The only difference between yesterdays normal and todays is that todays normal we are able to replace organs giving a strong possibly of immortality.

That and if you work till 67 which some of us might have to then an extra few years might be a good larf (if we're not peeing ourselves by then).

Live an extra few years is fine in my book, the issue I see is a strong possibility of immortality which is not natural. It goes against the whole circle of life deal. Does anything else in the world live forever? No, why? because it nothing should be able to live forever.

You are a humanity hater that hopes people die so the earth is healed. You hope other people's kids die because it makes you feel better about the earth or some such BS. Your type has been preaching devastation for the last 40 years and have been so completely wrong it would be embarrassing if you had any sense but you don't, so you ramble on about the need of a plague to cleanse the earth of the human pestilence. What a cowardly and abhorrent philosophy you adhere to.

I despise people like you, the quitters and cowards that curl up an die rather than face the challenge of life. I have zero doubt that if you caught a disease that this process could fix, you'd be screaming from the rafters to save your sorry ass. Hypocrite written all over your posts.

Grow a set for chrissakes and quit whining and start fixing things. That is your job as a human, to make the world better, not wish billions would perish to make you feel less guilty of a mythical crime against Gaia. This planet will survive anything puny us could possibly do and has done so many times over. We may not survive ourselves but the planet will be fine. Mankind can't abide people like you, however, that wish for the death of the species. Hopefully you continue your healthcare abstinence and achieve your goal of ridding the planet of another parasitical human infection of the god Gaia.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

You are a humanity hater that hopes people die so the earth is healed. You hope other people's kids die because it makes you feel better about the earth or some such BS. Your type has been preaching devastation for the last 40 years and have been so completely wrong it would be embarrassing if you had any sense but you don't, so you ramble on about the need of a plague to cleanse the earth of the human pestilence. What a cowardly and abhorrent philosophy you adhere to.

I despise people like you, the quitters and cowards that curl up an die rather than face the challenge of life. I have zero doubt that if you caught a disease that this process could fix, you'd be screaming from the rafters to save your sorry ass. Hypocrite written all over your posts.

Grow a set for chrissakes and quit whining and start fixing things. That is your job as a human, to make the world better, not wish billions would perish to make you feel less guilty of a mythical crime against Gaia. This planet will survive anything puny us could possibly do and has done so many times over. We may not survive ourselves but the planet will be fine. Mankind can't abide people like you, however, that wish for the death of the species. Hopefully you continue your healthcare abstinence and achieve your goal of ridding the planet of another parasitical human infection of the god Gaia.

Here you go again using what I said and turning to try and make me look like some monster by putting words in my mouth. Dude, you really gotta see that your manipulation won't work on me and the only reason I respond to your comments is so others realize that you just spew out bull****. BTW did you even read my comment? or my others, go back, read them and feel idiotic.

With scientists able to grow organs to replace ones that fail with age is not natural at all. The only difference between yesterdays normal and todays is that todays normal we are able to replace organs giving a strong possibly of immortality.

Why isn't "new" Natural? Just because it is not "the way we always did things" does not make it wrong. These lab grown organs are just scratching the surface. The most amazing organ replacement development I am aware of at the moment is organ 3D Printing. That actually takes stem cells from the person requiring the organ, and "prints" them a custom built organ from their own genetic make up specially suited to just that person. Donors will not longer be required at all if that process becomes successful.

I think this advancement is brilliant, anything that can reduce the suffering of any being it is worthwhile the way I see it.

I have nothing at all against immortality, I'd love to give it a try. It's a big universe out there, even immortality might not be enough to look at all of it. Second star to the left Sulu.......

LINK - 3D Printing Aims to Deliver Organs on Demand

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2