Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hosts, instead of Mothers?

Awake2Chaos

http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

A pregnant woman is just a "host" that should not have the right to end her pregnancy, Virginia State Sen. Steve Martin ® wrote in a Facebook rant defending his anti-abortion views.

Martin, the former chairman of the Senate Education and Health Committee, wrote a lengthy post about his opinions on women's bodies on his Facebook wall last week in response to a critical Valentine's Day card he received from reproductive rights advocates.

"I don't expect to be in the room or will I do anything to prevent you from obtaining a contraceptive," Martin wrote. "However, once a child does exist in your womb, I'm not going to assume a right to kill it just because the child's host (some refer to them as mothers) doesn't want it." Martin then changed his post on Monday afternoon to refer to the woman as the "bearer of the child" instead of the "host."

He later says that his quote was 'taken the wrong way', and he was 'obviously sarcastic.'

Either way, seems in pretty poor taste for an elected offical to refer to pregnant women as hosts, no matter how he meant it.

Thoughts?

Edited by Awake2Chaos

It obviously was taken the wrong way. The guy is arguing for these women to be mothers, instead of heartless socialy de-evolved murderers.

If a women decides to have an abortion, doesnt that mean she is no longer a mother to that child, and is in fact just hosting that kid, till she can have a doctor rip it limb from limb outta her womb? Why should she be called a mother?

Why should I care what a random state official in Virginia says or does?

It's the lack of tact, I think, that people pay attention to.

It obviously was taken the wrong way. The guy is arguing for these women to be mothers, instead of heartless socialy de-evolved murderers.

Okay, but what if these mothers don't want their babies? What happens then?

Edited by Awake2Chaos

If a women decides to have an abortion, doesnt that mean she is no longer a mother to that child, and is in fact just hosting that kid, till she can have a doctor rip it limb from limb outta her womb? Why should she be called a mother?

Calling a mother a host is akin to calling a baby a parasite. Why demonize either?

If we were to make abortion illegal, who would take care of all the unwanted children? Would we just have 'orphanges' for these kids? Who teaches them? Who funds it all? Those are some of the questions that go through my mind. I would never have an abortion myself, but I do think that women should be able to make the decision themselves.

Edited by Awake2Chaos

I'm pro-choice. I would think, though, that a pregnant woman who decides to get an abortion would not even think of herself as a mother! Why would she if she was getting rid of the fetus so she doesn't have a child? She's not a mother. She is a temporary 'bearer of the child' or, yes, a host.

People against things are going to use words with negative connotations. I think this is being blown out of proportion.

• Like 4

he used the term as a sarcastic jab and that is pretty obvious. no one read it the wrong way

what a slimebag

not cuz he said it, but because he tried to deny his intention when he did say it.

Just as it takes more to be a father than donating sperm, it takes more to being a mother than providing the egg. A woman who aborts a fetus has no desire to be a mother to it and shouldn't be offended when being called a host. I wouldn't even call them a host because they aren't very hospitable.

I'm pro-choice, but I think nit picking over this is silly.

• Like 2

Why should I care what a random state official in Virginia says or does?

Because words have power. Such as how others perceive women or babies. If words are not challenged at the beginning they can be used to spill over to other categories of women and babies in different situations. It doesn't matter if they are misquoted or the speaker has misgivings about the turn of phrase.

:no:

• Like 1

Would anyone have the slightest problem calling a man who doesn't stick around after conception a donor instead of a father? I don't think so.

• Like 3

Who is more crazy? The politician who says something off the wall and apologizes? Or the supreme defender of their party that continues to defend the politician's statement after the apology?

Who is more crazy? The politician who says something off the wall and apologizes? Or the supreme defender of their party that continues to defend the politician's statement after the apology?

Or someone who brings party partisanship into a conversation where there seems to be none.

• Like 1

Or someone who brings party partisanship into a conversation where there seems to be none.

Oh, right. An anti-abortion rant from a United States Senator has absolutely nothing to do with his political affiliations. :tsu:

Oh, right. An anti-abortion rant from a United States Senator has absolutely nothing to do with his political affiliations. :tsu:

Several people who don't see anything wrong in what he said are pro-choice...or did you overlook those? You simply chimed in on party affiliation seemingly without an opinion on the topic of the thread.

• Like 2

Several people who don't see anything wrong in what he said are pro-choice...or did you overlook those? You simply chimed in on party affiliation seemingly without an opinion on the topic of the thread.

My opinion? I think if he wants votes, he should refer to 100% of his voters in a respectful manner. Calling someone a "host" is not respectful whatsoever.

My opinion? I think if he wants votes, he should refer to 100% of his voters in a respectful manner. Calling someone a "host" is not respectful whatsoever.

As F3SS said, no one ever cares when a man is called a sperm donor.

People complain about politicians talking out of both sides of their mouths, but when they lay their cards on the table they are being disrespectful. Frankly, I would rather have a lot more straight talk so we can vote more responsibly, instead of them pussyfooting around trying never to hurt anyone's feelings and getting raked over the coals for it.

• Like 2

As F3SS said, no one ever cares when a man is called a sperm donor.

People complain about politicians talking out of both sides of their mouths, but when they lay their cards on the table they are being disrespectful. Frankly, I would rather have a lot more straight talk so we can vote more responsibly, instead of them pussyfooting around trying never to hurt anyone's feelings and getting raked over the coals for it.

No one cares because you say so? I for one, would be highly offended if someone called me a sperm donor?

No one cares because you say so? I for one, would be highly offended if someone called me a sperm donor?

Jerks who impregnate a woman, have nothing to do with their child or her ever again and have to be forced to pay child support are sperm donors...not fathers. There has never been an uprising of indignation over it.

• Like 2

Well if you hit it and quit it who really cares about your feelings? You didn't care for hers or the kids so cry me a river. You can't do something like that and act like an offended victim. Well you can but boohoo.

• Like 1

http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

He later says that his quote was 'taken the wrong way', and he was 'obviously sarcastic.'

Either way, seems in pretty poor taste for an elected offical to refer to pregnant women as hosts, no matter how he meant it.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the minute a woman gets pregnant on purpose, she's "having a baby". If it's just a fetus, then she's not a mother. She's not even an expectant mother if she's going to have an abortion. So what is she? It all depends on her, right? We can't call her an idiot for getting pregnant again by accident if we can't even call her a host. Yet she's hosting this cluster of cells at the moment, so when the Politically Correct terminology gets decided upon I'm pretty sure it'll change nothing.

• Like 2

When Virginia started trying to make it a law women should have an ultrasound before abortions there was a major uproar. These women didn't want to be forced to see the fetus they were aborting. I'm pretty sure if anyone at the clinics started putting pressure on them by calling them the "mother" instead of the "patient" the outcry would have been tremendous. They aren't mothers and don't want to be.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

Can we start using the term "HILF", now?

I'm almost afraid to ask...but do tell.

Edited by Michelle