Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama warns Russia

F3SS

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/28/obama-warns-russia-of-costs-in-ukraine-as-large-number-of-russian-forces-reportedly-enter-crimea/

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is warning Russia there will be costs if Russia intervenes militarily in Ukraine.

Obama says the U.S. is deeply concerned by reports of military movements by Russia inside Ukraine.

He says any violation of Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity would be destabilizing. He says it would violate Russia’s commitment to respect Ukraine’s borders and would invite global condemnation.

So what costs? They've already violated the sovereignty.

• Like 1

I don't know but I don't think Russia really gives a crap about condemnation.

• Like 5

Hmmm, let's see, KGB trained Russian leader vs. community organizer. Maybe Obama can vote "present." Maybe he'll draw another red line. Maybe he'll send Ketchup man Kerry over. Oooooo, that will scare ol' Vlad. By the way, the Russians now have a warship parked in Cuba just 89 miles from the U.S., that by itself is not unusual, but normally they tell the U.S.; this time they didn't say boo. And a dozen Russian helicopters were on video today heading into the Ukraine. Meanwhile we are talking cuts to our military and downsizing. Don't worry though, Obama will make a speech and wag a finger and it all will magically go away.

• Like 1

Meanwhile we are talking cuts to our military and downsizing.

I don't want a fight with Russia but downsizing is never a good idea when you're US. We have too many adversaries and you never know what's around the bend.

• Like 2

Russia has told us to do the same thing in regards to Syria, so why can't we do the same in regards to Russia and Ukraine? Put it this way, if the USA were to try and intervene, don't you think Russia would say the same thing to the USA? I understand that Russia and the Ukraine are right next to each other, but Russia is also sounding somewhat hypocritical here.

I also wouldn't be so worried about the military downsizing anyways, I mean, look at the polls for any military intervention we've seen and hypothetically seen, the public does not want that at all anyways. It's not really downsizing anyways as much as trimming the fat, from what I've read. Not to mention it will save money! Where is the pat on the back for Obama on that one? Isn't that a major talking point for republicans against Obama?

YEAH I agree with Obama.

America is the only country that's allowed to act unilaterally inside another country in order to secure it's own interests!

When has that actually happened since he's been president? If I remember correctly, it never has.

Russia has told us to do the same thing in regards to Syria, so why can't we do the same in regards to Russia and Ukraine? Put it this way, if the USA were to try and intervene, don't you think Russia would say the same thing to the USA? I understand that Russia and the Ukraine are right next to each other, but Russia is also sounding somewhat hypocritical here.

I also wouldn't be so worried about the military downsizing anyways, I mean, look at the polls for any military intervention we've seen and hypothetically seen, the public does not want that at all anyways. It's not really downsizing anyways as much as trimming the fat, from what I've read. Not to mention it will save money! Where is the pat on the back for Obama on that one? Isn't that a major talking point for republicans against Obama?

You don't REALLY expect that money to be used to pay down debt, do you Andy? It will just be spent elsewhere. Excuse me, I mean "invested"....
  • Like 1

When has that actually happened since he's been president? If I remember correctly, it never has.

No, Obama just carries the torch as will the next President. Both Russia and the US are hovering like vultures.

• Like 2

You don't REALLY expect that money to be used to pay down debt, do you Andy? It will just be spent elsewhere. Excuse me, I mean "invested"....

Isn't it better than spending it on useless endeavors such as wars? Doesn't matter, as long as we are saving.

Isn't it better than spending it on useless endeavors such as wars? Doesn't matter, as long as we are saving.

I agree that I'd rather spend it on constructive things but I think that simply categorizing all wars as useless is short sighted. As Russia's actions today and al Queda's a few years ago prove, we do not always get to choose the time and places we will fight. Obama wants to reduce the force to a level where "adventurism" will be impossible. If he isn't careful, neither will defense from attack be possible. The idea that the US can just pull back without consequences is in error I think. Nature hates a vacuum. China Russia and the EU will gladly attempt to exert their control when America steps aside.

I agree that I'd rather spend it on constructive things but I think that simply categorizing all wars as useless is short sighted. As Russia's actions today and al Queda's a few years ago prove, we do not always get to choose the time and places we will fight. Obama wants to reduce the force to a level where "adventurism" will be impossible. If he isn't careful, neither will defense from attack be possible. The idea that the US can just pull back without consequences is in error I think. Nature hates a vacuum. China Russia and the EU will gladly attempt to exert their control when America steps aside.

I meant wars as in, since Obama has been president. You're right, we don't get to choose when we fight wars, but so far none in the last few years have been very constructive and haven't accomplished all that much, with the exception of killing Bin Laden.

So than let them take the forefront on things like that, we really don't need to and all it does is drain the economy of money better spent elsewhere.

We aren't in any way going to be defenseless however, because nobody can attack us on our own soil, and the spending cuts, from what I've read, will most likely bolster national security anyways.

What you talkin' bout Willis?

Does Pakistan ring a bell? Or the fact it's done with drone strikes and not helicopters and boots on the ground... it doesn't count?

We have a rich history of saying "do as I say, not as I do"...

AND...Syria was never a province of Russia as the Ukraine was...there are a LOT of people in Ukraine that still hold Russia favorably...

My opinion...keep our nose out.

• Like 4

What you talkin' bout Willis?

Does Pakistan ring a bell? Or the fact it's done with drone strikes and not helicopters and boots on the ground... it doesn't count?

We have a rich history of saying "do as I say, not as I do"...

AND...Syria was never a province of Russia as the Ukraine was...there are a LOT of people in Ukraine that still hold Russia favorably...

My opinion...keep our nose out.

I do disagree with drone strikes, but it is very different than having boots on the ground. Yep, we do have a rich history of saying that, and I also disagree with what we do as far as that is concerned. We are keeping our nose out, just saying that we think it's a bad idea for them to do that, especially when that same country calls you out for virtually the same thing.

Actions speak louder than words, and so far the only one taking action is Russia.

• Like 1

Well, I am one of those people that has decided I am sick and tired of our "long arm" being involved in everyone else's business. I "get" that some Ukrainians want to join the EU and some don't...I get that it is in Russia's best interest t keep the Ukraine trading with them and not the Euro zone...I get that there is a LOT of corruption involved in nearly every politcal action taken around the globe...

BUT...I am tired of our arrogance...I am tired of paying for war while our roads and bridges fall apart. We are broke...time for the rest of the world to step up to the plate or hush...

All empires eventually decline...we can be smart and be like G.Britain and "choose" to retract on our own and on our own terms...or we can just keep flailing away till it all falls apart and collapses...

• Like 5

I think Russia's actions in Ukraine are justified and legitimate. That, because it has been under Russian control for hundreds of years. So many "borderlines" are fraudulent, drawn by cartographers. Ukraine is part of Russia, is my view.

Contrast that with the actions of the US government that has been invading and destroying, not necessarily in that order, foreign countries all over the world. Quite a contrast I would say.

And that contrast makes the US out very much to be a hypocrite of the highest order. :innocent:

• Like 1

All valid points bring brought up but I want to make clear that I didn't post this op unaware of our hypocrisy in these matters. If we impose economic sanctions and Russia still don't care, as I suspect they won't, our warnings become threats and our threats get bigger and then what? Could our words become actions? However slight, the possibility is there. Hypocrisy or not, our words carry weight. Russia always hated US, their Olympics just bombed and if Putin's as hardcore as you may be led to believe then maybe he's ticked and it's his time to show US what he's all about but who knows? Maybe I'm putting too inch into it.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 1

I meant wars as in, since Obama has been president. You're right, we don't get to choose when we fight wars, but so far none in the last few years have been very constructive and haven't accomplished all that much, with the exception of killing Bin Laden.

So than let them take the forefront on things like that, we really don't need to and all it does is drain the economy of money better spent elsewhere.

We aren't in any way going to be defenseless however, because nobody can attack us on our own soil, and the spending cuts, from what I've read, will most likely bolster national security anyways.

'''....nobody can attack us on our soil..."???!!! Do you really believe this?

Jeremiah65, "BUT...I am tired of our arrogance...I am tired of paying for war while our roads and bridges fall apart. We are broke...time for the rest of the world to step up to the plate or hush..."

I agree 100%, It's not America's responsibility to police the world...but the US Govt still thinks it IS!!!

Obama needs to hush, talk is cheap....Putin isn't a bit worried about what Obama said, or will say.

Also, the UN isn't too well known for action either...I expect nothing but talk from them.

Edited by scorpiosonic

Well since we are comparing Putin, the KGB trained soldier....and Obama...the community organizer...I stumbled across this pic...sorry...it's funny and I have to post it...

Obamaunicorn2_zps63b2cc1e.jpg

• Like 5

I don't want a fight with Russia but downsizing is never a good idea when you're US. We have too many adversaries and you never know what's around the bend.

seriously?! we already spend more than the rest of the world combined. It's insane to continue.

• Like 2

seriously?! we already spend more than the rest of the world combined. It's insane to continue.

We should downsize our global presence but should always be ready for anything with anyone at any time.

Well, I am one of those people that has decided I am sick and tired of our "long arm" being involved in everyone else's business. I "get" that some Ukrainians want to join the EU and some don't...I get that it is in Russia's best interest t keep the Ukraine trading with them and not the Euro zone...I get that there is a LOT of corruption involved in nearly every politcal action taken around the globe...

BUT...I am tired of our arrogance...I am tired of paying for war while our roads and bridges fall apart. We are broke...time for the rest of the world to step up to the plate or hush...

All empires eventually decline...we can be smart and be like G.Britain and "choose" to retract on our own and on our own terms...or we can just keep flailing away till it all falls apart and collapses...

I'm as sick and tired of this nonsense as anyone. The greater arrogance is once again coming from the Republican old guard, sticking their noses in other peoples business and soon to be claiming yet again that Obama isn't doing enough. THE preeminent issue of identity for neocons is sticking our noses in the internal affairs of other countries. This disease neither ends nor begins with Barack Obama. Our entire government is soaked with it.

• Like 3

We should downsize our global presence but should always be ready for anything with anyone at any time.

Which sounds like another blank check hiding behind a downsize. We should be ready for anything that happens to be our business; which is precious little on the global stage where the internal affairs of others are concerned.

• Like 3

I agree with Yamato. The "talk" about downsizing...as I look over the texts of it...doesn't say they are going to drastically reduce spending...they'll be buying more drones, more smart bombs and more technology...they are just going to be paying out less in wages to soldiers.

If anyone for an instant think s the special interest groups...lobbyist for the weapons makers...are going to take less money from your pockets...you better think again.

They disguise their pilfering under the guise of "we need to be prepared for any contingency"...well...how convenient...I can think of all kinds of reasons to spend money too...I should try that on my wife sometime..."Honey, there might be an alien invasion so I need that $300.00 fishing rod...just in case..."

• Like 2