Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Responding to John Hagee's Four Blood Moons

buckskin scout

This minister mops the floor with John Hagee!

Believers and nonbelievers both will find this video interesting and enlightening!

• Like 1

I hope they can merge them.

I'm not sure they should be merged. JustTerri's topic is a simple question which can have a scientific (astronomical) answer as well as referring to John Hagee.

This topic is specifically ABOUT John Hagee.

• Like 2

Wow! What a sermon! I would that I could ask him a lot of questions. I have been on this site objecting in conversations about the four blood moons. I bought Hagee's book because people were getting so excited about it; I could see errors in it and have tried to say so; but this preacher has brought out things I only heard once from a Primitive Baptist preacher. It always bothered me the word "soon" because it would be misleading of God to use that word if it wasn't soon.

I only heard one mistake in this sermon. He corrected Faulkner that the Passover was not on the 15th like Faulkner said but on the 14th. That is a common mistake the church makes.; and being not perfect, this is his mistake, which I would love to discuss with him. He sounds like a person who let's the scripture have the last say. I would love to show him with scripture how Passover is on the 15th of Nissan.

Enjoyed the sermon. Thank you. I've got some studying to do.

• Like 1

I found this interesting.

Short answer: Better than 1/1000 on any given Passover and better than 1/100 in the 300 years beginning in 1901.

The calculations in the original question are way off. I'm not going to pretend that a lunar tetrad on Passover and Sukkot is extremely common, but knowing some basic facts about the Jewish calendar and astronomy (and how to properly use statistics) will illustrate why it is far more common an occurrence than the person who asked this question suggests.

First, the Jewish calendar is based on lunar cycles. This means that each month starts on a New Moon and therefor has a Full moon in the middle. Every single holy day that falls on the 15th of a given Jewish month is going to be a Full Moon. Both Passover and Sukkot are observed on the 15th day of a Jewish month (15 Nissan and 15 Tishrei respectively) so they ALWAYS fall on a full moon.

A lunar eclipse can only happen on a full moon, of which about 30% are full lunar eclipses. There are anywhere from 0 to 4 full lunar eclipses in any given year. A lunar tetrad (four consecutive full eclipses) accounts for about 16% of all total lunar eclipses.

Short answer: Better than 1/1000 on any given Passover and better than 1/100 in the 300 years beginning in 1901.

The calculations in the original question are way off. I'm not going to pretend that a lunar tetrad on Passover and Sukkot is extremely common, but knowing some basic facts about the Jewish calendar and astronomy (and how to properly use statistics) will illustrate why it is far more common an occurrence than the person who asked this question suggests.

First, the Jewish calendar is based on lunar cycles. This means that each month starts on a New Moon and therefor has a Full moon in the middle. Every single holy day that falls on the 15th of a given Jewish month is going to be a Full Moon. Both Passover and Sukkot are observed on the 15th day of a Jewish month (15 Nissan and 15 Tishrei respectively) so they ALWAYS fall on a full moon.

A lunar eclipse can only happen on a full moon, of which about 30% are full lunar eclipses. There are anywhere from 0 to 4 full lunar eclipses in any given year. A lunar tetrad (four consecutive full eclipses) accounts for about 16% of all total lunar eclipses.

The duration between full lunar eclipses in a tetrad is always 6 lunar cycles. Since the beginning of a Jewish month falls on the fist new moon, Passover and Sukkot are exactly 6 lunar cycles away from each other 82%(there are leap months every 19 years) of the time. This means that IF the any given Full Eclipse of a Tetrad falls on Passover or Sukkot, there is LITERALLY a 82% chance that the tetrad will fall on Passover and Sukkot two consecutive years.

Since we know that, the only statistically relevant question is how often will a tetrad fall on Passover or Sukkot. Tetrads account for 16% of all Full Eclipses, and Full Eclipses account for 5.5% of all Full Moons. Given this, there is a 0.9% chance that any given Full Moon is part of a tetrad, and a 14% chance that that full moon is either on Passover or Sukkot.

So based on this, the actual probability is better than 1/1000 that Passover and Sukkot will fall on a tetrad- but much better than that if you happen to be in one of the lucky centuries where there are several tetrads (a century can have anywhere from 0 tetrads up to 8). We will have 8 tetrads from 2001-2100, and we had 6 from 1901-2000. Given that lunar cycles are based on a discernible pattern it stands to reason that this "amazingly rare coincidence" might actually happen relatively frequently during one 400 year period and never happen again for several thousand years.

To top it off, by definition a solar eclipse can only happen during a New Moon, which will 100% of the time fall on a minor holy day on the Jewish calendar. So if there is a tetrad, 100% of solar eclipses in either of those years will fall on a holy day.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131231195049AA3lfKB

• Like 1

nuts! daylate and a dollarshort... my server is a dialup, cant stream, cant youtube...who wrote what book? whats its title, and its basic premise? help me, someone!

• Like 1

John Hagee has written a book," Four Blood Moons -Something Is About To Change". It has the Christian community sciked (misspelled) up that end time prophecy is coming soon. His book is a false teaching, money making piece of sensationalism.

• Like 1

Many, many years ago I thought John Hagee was all right for a televangelist; back when he used to preach the gospel. Now he is nothing more than another anti-Islamic propagandist who capitalizes off the fear and misunderstandings of the faith which is sadly still prevalent among the American people. He is in a sense his own brand of a Jihadist in that he's in bed with warmongering neocons and he wants the US to fight all of Israel's battles out of some perceived religious solidarity with them. In short, he is nothing but a tool. I wish pastors like the one in the video you linked were the ones on TV.

• Like 1

euroninja

Not understanding your post

We're not going there, are we...........................................................................

Here is another briefer video, goes a bit on the literal side of things whereas I take David Clark's interpretations of prophetic signs:

"I am not sure but that it is a feature of biblical symbolism to make sun, moon, and stars, and such phenomena to represent the strong social and political powers, or men in high places like kings, princes, or priests, or high officials of church and state. And in confirmation you will notice that the following verses refer to just such men, as if to be a sort of commentary on these symbols." - David Clark

And these passages are cited:

Of Babylon - Isaiah 13:10

Of Edom - Isaiah 34:4

Of Egypt - Ezekiel 32:7-8

Of Jerusalem and Judaea - Matthew 24:29, 34

Edited by GoSC