Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Old Melbourne Gaol figure

Saru

The head looks like a storm trooper from Star Wars. :lol:

And we would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids and that dog of yours. :)

Seems like the OP has resolved this issue with the help of UM members.

Nice job.

• Like 1

Seems like the OP has resolved this issue with the help of UM members.

Nice job.

Was never an issue in the first place if only one had looked more carefully.

• Like 3

Agreed..This is nothing.

Maximize

This is my detailed image analysis.

As you can very obviously see, there is NO ghost or any paranormal activity/entity around you.

Sorry for my typo error in the lower left box- I meant to write "Shadow" not "Reflection".

Anyway, based on the analysis below, the mystery is solved.

Click Image To Enlarge:

Untitled.jpg

Excellent analysts!

• Like 1

Hi A.E.,

My inclination is there is probably no figure behind you. My reasoning on this is the glass partition created a lot of interferance with the strong light from the window (the bright window is also why the room section of the photo came out so dark...the window light overloaded the light sensor on the iPhone). Any intervening transparent material (glass/plastic/etc) between you and the subject will cause distortions, reflections (obviously here), and other changes. The glass was obviously either very smudged/dirty or not very uniform structurally. My guess offhand, is the "eyes" in the assumed figure were your glasses, which being glass/plastic material, would reflect back to your reflection as two brighter spots than the rest of you did. This makes it look like a face behind you, where it is actually your probably slightly distorted reflected head area. If you were taking the photo whith your iPhone rasied up slightly in front of your face but off to one side so you could see what was on the screen and what you were "aiming" at, that could result in your head being slightly crooked to one side, giving the odd tilted look to the "eyes" of the presumed ghostly figure. There is always a finite probablility of a ghost shot, but probably not here. If you go there again, take a digital recorder with you...if its really quiet and you know no one else is around in the hall or whatever, try to get an EVP. :-) The place probably has had at least one ghost hunter group in there,.... has it?

Mike

Hi A.E.,

My inclination is there is probably no figure behind you. My reasoning on this is the glass partition created a lot of interferance with the strong light from the window (the bright window is also why the room section of the photo came out so dark...the window light overloaded the light sensor on the iPhone). Any intervening transparent material (glass/plastic/etc) between you and the subject will cause distortions, reflections (obviously here), and other changes. The glass was obviously either very smudged/dirty or not very uniform structurally. My guess offhand, is the "eyes" in the assumed figure were your glasses, which being glass/plastic material, would reflect back to your reflection as two brighter spots than the rest of you did. This makes it look like a face behind you, where it is actually your probably slightly distorted reflected head area. If you were taking the photo whith your iPhone rasied up slightly in front of your face but off to one side so you could see what was on the screen and what you were "aiming" at, that could result in your head being slightly crooked to one side, giving the odd tilted look to the "eyes" of the presumed ghostly figure. There is always a finite probablility of a ghost shot, but probably not here. If you go there again, take a digital recorder with you...if its really quiet and you know no one else is around in the hall or whatever, try to get an EVP. :-) The place probably has had at least one ghost hunter group in there,.... has it?

Mike

There is no need to be inclined or to guess about anything, much less so just registering to write this long paragraph, when the "issue" has already been solved on the previous page.

Edited by Ashyne
  • Like 1

Ooops--failed to see the latest posts.

Edited by DeWitz
  • Like 1

There is no need to be inclined or to guess about anything, much less so just registering to write this long paragraph, when the "issue" has already been solved on the previous page.

Xiccarph also provided us with an enlightening analysis.

• Like 1

I like you. I hope you stick around.

• Like 1

Great anaylsis everyone. I knew I liked this group. The photo was definitely worth a second look. If I had still been in the location when I reviewed the pic I'm pretty sure I would have needed to go outside and "collect" myself :)

Good analysis, I was going to say that the darkness and possibility of smudges on the mirror seem to have produced a larger and awkward effect to the reflection. I don't even know if ghosts are visible in mirrors, I know I look like a corpse when I look in one though.

Good analysis, I was going to say that the darkness and possibility of smudges on the mirror seem to have produced a larger and awkward effect to the reflection.

Funny how you thought of this after the fact. :):P

i'm being a wise a** today, wires in my brain are touching and giving off sparks again apparently.

its gandalf the black smoking his pipe viewing the mirror

Regardless, Melbourne Gaol is a pretty full on place. There seem to be things going on there all the time.

• 3 months later...

It looks like John Merrick(Elephant Man) having a cigarette break.