Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The disappearance of Ray Gricar

SuperSmith

Crude attempt

Crude, maybe, but shows general facial shape as O'Donnell said. IMO there's a striking similarity in the facial shapes.

Thanks for the link, SS.

With both the teeth fillings and DNA, I would guess it was known shortly thereafter whether this find was connected to RG case. I find it doubtful that information re:connection would be held close to the vest by LE since 2006.

I personally don't see any resemblance to RG in the sketch, but since so little of the skull was said to have been found, the sketch could be off. That's not to say there are no similiarities because there are, just not enough for me to think that it is likely related to RG.

JMO

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, SS.

With both the teeth fillings and DNA, I would guess it was known shortly thereafter whether this find was connected to RG case. I find it doubtful that information re:connection would be held close to the vest by LE since 2006.

I personally don't see any resemblance to RG in the sketch, but since so little of the skull was said to have been found, the sketch could be off. That's not to say there are no similiarities because there are, just not enough for me to think that it is likely related to RG.

JMO

It's interesting how differently different eyes perceive things, with no set of eyes being right or wrong. I haven't been able to shake the feeling of eerie resemblance of the facial/skull shapes, especially since SS did the photoshop magic to change the hair. I'm going by skull/facial shape and not things like ears, nose, etc., as the artist in the article I quoted above said those things are more "guesses" than facial shape.

I also don't trust information sharing necessarily took place, but that's just my cynicism built on 1) things surprisingly not done in RG's case and 2) watching too much true crime tv with cases where lack of information sharing stalled cases for years.

But if nobody sees the resemblance I do, I'll just drop my hinky feeling about this skull. :-)

On another note, where's the Sporadic Rebuttal thread when I need it? Got a good chuckle out of this line:

Personally, I wouldn't have done that. I try to quote in context.

Aw, c'mon Blogger Dude. Come clean. You are INfamous for deliberately quoting things OUT of context. That's one of your favorite strategies.

It's interesting how differently different eyes perceive things, with no set of eyes being right or wrong. I haven't been able to shake the feeling of eerie resemblance of the facial/skull shapes, especially since SS did the photoshop magic to change the hair. I'm going by skull/facial shape and not things like ears, nose, etc., as the artist in the article I quoted above said those things are more "guesses" than facial shape.

I also don't trust information sharing necessarily took place, but that's just my cynicism built on 1) things surprisingly not done in RG's case and 2) watching too much true crime tv with cases where lack of information sharing stalled cases for years.

But if nobody sees the resemblance I do, I'll just drop my hinky feeling about this skull. :-)

Not certain exactly what part of the skull was found, but am guessing part of jawbone since teeth are said to be there. Just did some research on exactly how they arrive at an age. I would guess there would be quite a bit of difference between 40 year-old and 60 year-old teeth. Seems like there would be a great deal more 'grind' down after 2 more decades of chewing. IF it was only a small portion of a skull, not certain how a sketch artist could re-create.

http://bonesdontlie.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/estimating-age-at-death-from-dental-remains/

JMO

JOHN C Marshall from what it says here embezzled over 350,000.00 K with 4 other men over a 14 year time at PSU marshall got a slap on the wrist no state time RG very angry the other 4 men were never charged who they were not sure also a psu wrestler charged with rape gets off easy RG very angry he could not understand the judge this was in 2001 around november I been just looking at stuff off and on yes when you have certain things in your pocket any thing can be done

I admit that I am on the fence regarding psychics and their abilities but do find them interesting. Forgive me if any of you here are one. Nevertheless I though I would post this site since not much else is going on with just over two weeks until the anniversary.

http://psychiccrimef...g-pennsylvania/

Never saw that picture of Ray before.

Things of interest were the silver car and baseball bat.

Edited by SuperSmith

Not certain exactly what part of the skull was found, but am guessing part of jawbone since teeth are said to be there. Just did some research on exactly how they arrive at an age. I would guess there would be quite a bit of difference between 40 year-old and 60 year-old teeth. Seems like there would be a great deal more 'grind' down after 2 more decades of chewing. IF it was only a small portion of a skull, not certain how a sketch artist could re-create.

http://bonesdontlie.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/estimating-age-at-death-from-dental-remains/

JMO

These lines from the article I posted above give some indication of what was found:

Missing was a portion of the lower jaw. The upper jaw contained six rear teeth. Four had fillings. ....

“There is a formula for trying to anticipate what the other side of the skull will have,” said Mr. O’Donnell, who could not speak specifically about details of the North Townada skull because of the ongoing police investigation.

So it sounds to me as if in addition to the missing lower jaw, "the other side of the skull" was also gone, if I'm reading O'Donnel's words correctly. He's being deliberately vague b/c of the investigation, apparently, which isn't helpful for anyone trying to envision what portion of the skull was actually found! It does sound as if they had only six teeth total to work from.

I admit that I am on the fence regarding psychics and their abilities but do find them interesting. Forgive me if any of you here are one. Nevertheless I though I would post this site since not much else is going on with just over two weeks until the anniversary.

http://psychiccrimef...g-pennsylvania/

Never saw that picture of Ray before.

Things of interest were the silver car and baseball bat.

Nice photo of Ray.

Hmmm

Very interesting. Well, as one of TC's TV ads says, he didn't go to Harrisburg to make friends. Looks as if his behavior isn't geared toward making that happen. Sure wasn't when he used "Remember the boy in the shower" to get Joe fired either, especially considering the boy in the shower (#2) has both praised JS and denied the shower incident occurred (before the deep pockets of PSU started looking so good, apparently).

Interesting article (with Penn State connections) on the possible future of facial reconstruction, with a link to the original research paper:

"3D models connect DNA to facial features"

http://www.futurity.org/3d-models-may-link-dna-facial-features/

147 guests??? Chime in readers

As in one hundred and forty-seven? Did you get that correctly? What would draw that many here in a slow news month?

Edited by 2-B

As in one hundred and forty-seven? Did you get that correctly? What would draw that many here in a slow news month?

Oh yes I read that correctly. That's why I posted about it. Slow or fast news day that is the most I've ever seen on this site. I have no idea what could've sparked that. Perhaps an anomaly.

Oh yes I read that correctly. That's why I posted about it. Slow or fast news day that is the most I've ever seen on this site. I have no idea what could've sparked that. Perhaps an anomaly.

I don't remember if we went that high when Ray was simultaneously being declared dead while also being "found alive" in Utah!! :-)

It went even higher yet immediately after Saunterer's posting the news article re: 3D models, DNA and facial features.

Not sure what sparked renewed interest but possibly the mention of PSU connection.

JMO

I don't remember if we went that high when Ray was simultaneously being declared dead while also being "found alive" in Utah!! :-)

We have gone that high and higher yet, up to 179. That was when other things were being discussed, not the 'found alive' in Utah.

JMO

Edited by lw-intuit
  • Like 1

What's odd is this site rarely shows up in the last "24 hours" option in a Google search for "Ray Gricar". Also odd is at times I typically only see 5 guests on average when I'm on the site. To jump to that high of a number is especially odd.

• Like 1

What's odd is this site rarely shows up in the last "24 hours" option in a Google search for "Ray Gricar". Also odd is at times I typically only see 5 guests on average when I'm on the site. To jump to that high of a number is especially odd.

Agree-------some wording in the post re: DNA, facial features must be under an alert for the words when they come up. Since I find it doubtful that it's those specific words, I think those who are alerted when certain specific words come up somewhere online are most likely to want anything re: PSU connection, possibly coupled with RG.?? I get alerts when anything new RG comes up, so am thinking it's possibly the same sort of alert went out for some specific words in the post.

I recall the time when there were that many on board. We were discussing the photo of the Mini-Cooper and trying to determine if RG's Mini had a sunroof.

JMO

Agree-------some wording in the post re: DNA, facial features must be under an alert for the words when they come up. Since I find it doubtful that it's those specific words, I think those who are alerted when certain specific words come up somewhere online are most likely to want anything re: PSU connection, possibly coupled with RG.?? I get alerts when anything new RG comes up, so am thinking it's possibly the same sort of alert went out for some specific words in the post.

I recall the time when there were that many on board. We were discussing the photo of the Mini-Cooper and trying to determine if RG's Mini had a sunroof.

JMO

I have had alerts set up for years on a number of topics including Ray, but I can't remember ever getting a link to a message board

discussion. Maybe it's just something in the way I set these up early on, but I get only media mentions. Do you (and SS) get

links directing you to message boards in your alerts?

Just wondering if it's alerts sending folks here or word of mouth.

ETA: I see when SS set up this thread, he tagged it with "Ray Gricar" and nothing else, for whatever that's worth.

Edited by 2-B

I have had alerts set up for years on a number of topics including Ray, but I can't remember ever getting a link to a message board

discussion. Maybe it's just something in the way I set these up early on, but I get only media mentions. Do you (and SS) get

ETA: I see when SS set up this thread, he tagged it with "Ray Gricar" and nothing else, for whatever that's worth.

I have no alerts set up. I typically go into a google window for he last 24hr and search his name. Some forums do appear in the search if there is recent activity. Websleuth & our old TrueTV site does but typically take a bit of time for Google to index the links so they come up in a search. This site typically does not come up in the Google search for last 24hrs. That's what makes the guest count strange to me. Typically you don't get that kind of activity unless something breaks such as Sandusky, PSP taking the case, Hells Angel story, etc.

• Like 1

Yes, I get alerts to message boards if key words are mentioned.

I can't imagine it being word of mouth, but possible, I guess.

JMO