Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Top 10 tips for atheists this Easter

Paranoid Android

Atheists should drop their easily dismissed scientific, philosophical or historical arguments against Christianity, and instead quiz believers about Old Testament violence and hell, writes John Dickson.

As an intellectual movement, Christianity has a head start on atheism. So it's only natural that believers would find some of the current arguments against God less than satisfying.

In the interests of a more robust debate this Easter, I want to offer my tips for atheists wanting to make a dent in the Faith. I've got some advice on arguments that should be dropped and some admissions about where Christians are vulnerable.

Full reading, see source - http://abc.net.au/news/2014-04-18/dickson-tips-for-atheists/5397892

• Like 1

How about "Top tip for Atheists - Don't Bother, you're not going to change anyone's opinions and you'll just make yourself annoyed".

Either they're going to be talking to people who already basically agree with them or they're going to be talking to the hardcore Fundies and in which case they might as well be talking to a wall, at least the wall is serving some useful function in society.

• Like 3

I was really hoping the tips would be.

"Chill out, eat eggs and chocolate, repeat as necessary"

• Like 6

the man accusing atheists of misrepresenting his faith is himself misrepresenting the beliefs of atheists.

my easter tip to atheists and christians alike is: don't eat ham. it's gross.

• Like 4

In the future, if you ever wonder why you fell out of favor with me, remember this statement

• Like 3

In the future, if you ever wonder why you fell out of favor with me, remember this statement

i am not afraid. the time has come. the truth shall emerge at last.

(i actually like some ham. but the average grocery store bought, frozen, so called honey baked ham? lord spare me from that awful grocery store ham)

i am not afraid. the time has come. the truth shall emerge at last.

(i actually like some ham. but the average grocery store bought, frozen, so called honey baked ham? lord spare me from that awful grocery store ham)

We cool then, you shall be spared my wrath

I don't see Pauline Christianity remotely humanitarian or intellectual. I said Pauline.

Pauline? Ohhh the apostle paul.

eh, im ok w/ pauls work largely but i think it's been misinterpreted

Edited by Scheming B

Best advise I could give: Shut the hell up and move on with your life, Game of Thrones is on.

• Like 3

Atheists should drop their easily dismissed scientific, philosophical or historical arguments against Christianity, and instead quiz believers about Old Testament violence and hell, writes John Dickson.

It depends upon the specific argument, but he's trying to use the word 'dismissed' in this statement to mean 'refuted' when for some points it's actually more like 'dismissed' as in 'ignored'.

• Like 2

ffs lets have no one debate anyone on Easter and relax -_-

this article is bad advice, all i got to say.

• Like 1

Right?

If youre showing up to hang out with people on Easter, Christmas, whatever else and youre looking forward to religious arguments,

Your religion is far from your biggest issue

14137.jpg

Oh Father ... and it was on Easter day too ~

~

• Like 1

ok, new tip for atheists and people of all faiths for this easter

infinite consensual high-fives.

go.

• Like 3

There is already: Kiss a Stranger, Hug a Homosexual,

Coming Soon: High Five Someone of a Different Religion

Someone get me a video camera

• Like 3

Am I allowed to put on lipstick ?

:yes:

~

• Like 1

I was really hoping the tips would be.

"Chill out, eat eggs and chocolate, repeat as necessary"

Well..maybe not the eggs unless they're either chocolate or marshmallow. Preferably both.

I read through all the tips, and the author failed to mention the "problem of evil". What a amateur!

• Like 1

As an intellectual movement, Christianity has a head start on atheism. So it's only natural that believers would find some of the current arguments against God less than satisfying.

In the interests of a more robust debate this Easter, I want to offer my tips for atheists wanting to make a dent in the Faith. I've got some advice on arguments that should be dropped and some admissions about where Christians are vulnerable.

Full reading, see source - http://abc.net.au/news/2014-04-18/dickson-tips-for-atheists/5397892

In response to Dr. John Dickson's 10 tips.

#1 How is circular logic & presupposition intelluctual?

#2 Yes I noticed how Christians use 

the word "faith", and I see disguised self delusion.

#3 Yes it's a good thing there're less Bible literalists.Now if more & more see the absurdity of the Bible instead of making daft excuses for it, that would be great. 

#4 You commited that very same fallacy in your last sentence.

#5 Ok smart ass.What would your reaction be if your country's currency said "In Krishna we trust"?

It's the same Theistic  mind...Right?

#6 Rigid Dogmas based on nonevidence that's divisive, and superstitious is poison to me.

#7 What a joke! I would love to see you debate Richard Carrier instead of Strawmanning  Richard Dawkins, and appeal to so called consensus.

#8 Appeal to emotion works great for con artists & politics.

#9 The OT stuff is no problem, because we now have Super Jesus.Super Jesus is able to leap over Genocide, Slavery, and stuff that shows it's obvious superstition in a single bound.

#10 Oh? You are squemish talking about Hell?I bet you have no problem talking to children about it behind closed doors.

• Like 2

There is already: Kiss a Stranger, Hug a Homosexual,

Coming Soon: High Five Someone of a Different Religion

Someone get me a video camera

Your film afraid will be blank my friend. Unfortunately.

How DARE YOU!!!!!!!!

I will be ham drunk ALL WEEKEND!!!!

• Like 2

The biggest problem with "theists" in general is that everyone else is wrong and they are right. Oh, and ham is kick-ass, especially Black Forest Ham.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

It's too much effort to quiz people about whatever. I have a life to live.

I simply don't care that it's Easter and will be going about my Sundays like always. With the exception of being ham drunk. I am getting so ham drunk.

• Like 1

It is ironic an Atheist (even some Christians) will teach their children in something that don't exist

like the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus & Tooth Fairy but don't believe in the existence of God.

It might be in all good fun for the parents pleasure but it's just setting up the kids for a disappointment

when they reach an age where you have to tell them the truth. Of course kids are shocked at first but

get over it but it does give them the idea it's ok to lie.

post-103357-0-14534500-1397881814_thumb.