Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Faeries?

dakota8595

I'm sure there probably already is a topic on this, but does anyone believe in them or have any stories relating to them.

• Like 2

They used to leave me a shiny sixpence whenever I lost one of my junior teeth. Been a long, long time since I've had a visit though.

• Like 7

Yes I believe in them, but not the same Tinkerbell fairies. There are different kinds of fairies, some are associated with nature spirits, ghosts and will o the wisps. Fairies are also said to be nature being extraordinary and producing amazing visuals like rainbows and fairy rings. Fairies have been part of indo European tradition for thousands of years, and Irish fairies in particular are linked with their old gods and former ancient royal families.

• Like 3

What was the Dudley Moore line? "I'm not a faerie, I'm an elf!" :w00t:

• Like 1

Yes I believe in them, but not the same Tinkerbell fairies. There are different kinds of fairies, some are associated with nature spirits, ghosts and will o the wisps. Fairies are also said to be nature being extraordinary and producing amazing visuals like rainbows and fairy rings. Fairies have been part of indo European tradition for thousands of years, and Irish fairies in particular are linked with their old gods and former ancient royal families.

So you think they're more of a spiritual entity rather than physical

I must admit just like elfs and little people I just think they're folklore, I don't believe they exist or ever existed.

• Like 2

I've seen fairies before.... those were different times... but I decided I didn't want to see fairies anymore.

Fairies are a little different from bigfoot or Nessie, I haven't heard of too many sightings or alleged encounters.

Yeah, Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me!

I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes!

Edited by OUTSIDER F-XILES

The way we picture fairies now, the little Tinkerbell, winged creatures has a lot to do with Victorian-era representations of them.

its spelt fairies

I've seen fairies before.... those were different times... but I decided I didn't want to see fairies anymore.

Fairies are a little different from bigfoot or Nessie, I haven't heard of too many sightings or alleged encounters.

Yeah, Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me!

I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes!

Black Sabbath? ;)

• Like 2

I do believe they may exist. Having read some of the literature including Jacques Vallee and Evan-Wentz's classic study, I thing that "something is going on". I wouldn't venture to slap a definite identity on fairies, any more than I would with ufos or ghosts. The core phenomenon in all these anomalies is, at this time, unknown, and may be unknowable. But I do seriously wonder if there is a non-human intelligence operating in these various uncanny areas.

IIRC Vallee has been caught out outright faking his evidence too often to be cited as a valid source.

However, referring to the traditional literature about the Fair Folk, it may be a good thing they don't bother humanity any more/exist.

its spelt fairies

It's spelt fairies.

Banned for lacking the correct punctuation. ;)

• Like 2

IIRC Vallee has been caught out outright faking his evidence too often to be cited as a valid source.

However, referring to the traditional literature about the Fair Folk, it may be a good thing they don't bother humanity any more/exist.

That is a very large and potentially unfair claim. Examples, please.

Fairy washing up liquid is made from real processed fairies. How else do your dishes get so clean if not from magic fairy power?

It's a conspiracy i tells ya.. :lol:

• Like 1

That is a very large and potentially unfair claim. Examples, please.

Well the Fair Folk traditionally had a habit of stealing babies, getting vindictive if they're not treated with respect, doing "favours" for people without being asked and then getting really nasty when it's not reciprocated, messing with travellers for kicks and giggles, they're capricious, spiteful, dangerous, like to collapse mines just to hear people scream...

• Like 1

Well the Fair Folk traditionally had a habit of stealing babies, getting vindictive if they're not treated with respect, doing "favours" for people without being asked and then getting really nasty when it's not reciprocated, messing with travellers for kicks and giggles, they're capricious, spiteful, dangerous, like to collapse mines just to hear people scream...

And the examples you have to support your accusation that Vallee faked his evidence are conspicuously missing from your reply.

Sound genuinely unpleasant; glad we never had them in Vietnam.

Because someone translates a Vietnamese word with "fairy" doesn't mean it was one. The behavior is completely different and the stories don't go together at all.

Because someone translates a Vietnamese word with "fairy" doesn't mean it was one. The behavior is completely different and the stories don't go together at all.

Because one fairy tribe's MO differs from another's doesn't mean they both aren't fairies.

Obviously this is getting too silly to continue, I'm out.

All sorts of Western words get applied to non-Western concepts leading to misunderstanding. The words "ghost," "demon," "god," "worship," "soul," and now apparently "fairy." My favorite is "dragon," not the same beastie at all as the Westerner imagines.

Besides being basically mistranslations, the use of the same word leads to the impression that these notions are worldwide, but they are local.