Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bigfoot: real or myth? -- Why? -- Why not?

pokingjoker

Actually I said what I meant.. Bigfoot is alive and well.. and far more savvy than given credit...

I give Biff endless kudos for being clever. Incredibly supernaturally, paranormally clever. :yes:

• Like 1

Actually I said what I meant.. Bigfoot is alive and well.. and far more savvy than given credit...

Well, Bigfoot-folk-belief is certainly alive and well... and its somewhat less savvy than the credit they give themselves...

I give Biff endless kudos for being clever. Incredibly supernaturally, paranormally clever. :yes:

Especially the manchines.

• Like 1

Well, Bigfoot-folk-belief is certainly alive and well... and its somewhat less savvy than the credit they give themselves...

Pull back the drapes and let the light in N-W.. empty your mind of everything you think you know.. and never rule out anything.. there are still wonders yet to be discovered..

Pull back the drapes and let the light in N-W.. empty your mind of everything you think you know.. and never rule out anything.. there are still wonders yet to be discovered..

Such as the correctly applied utilization of punctuation, capitalization, sentence structure, and applicable credible documentation to support your apparently rather vaguely defined position?

• Like 1

I think that, if you look at the family Homo tree, there are lots of places where a species is thought to have died off. It is at these junctures that create a more plausible belief that there is more to Big Foot than current science will readily admit to.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 1

I think that, if you look at the family Homo tree, there are lots of places where a species is thought to have died off. It is at these junctures that create a more plausible belief that there is more to Big Foot than current science will readily admit to.

With all due respect, it should be kept in mind that "current science", particularly the anthropological/bioanthropological/archaeological fields of study are hardly involved in what those of a more delusional bent would be inclined to consider a "suppression of data". The reality is, of course, quite the contrary. This latter aspect is well evidenced in both the qualified literature and the ongoing studies/advancing technological applications that are providing us with ever more detailed understandings of the hominid/hominin lineage.

• Like 1

Its not really that hard for me to believe that Bigfoot is a real creature. I mean people thought Gorillas were a myth all the way up til 1904. And we find new species of animals every year it seems like.

• Like 1

Such as the correctly applied utilization of punctuation, capitalization, sentence structure, and applicable credible documentation to support your apparently rather vaguely defined position?

Oh hell Swede.. thank god you're here.. such objectivity and illumination as I've never been privileged to witness previously.. I have no doubt that your application to Mensa will be approved at any moment.. we're all behind ya' bud..

After reading the last few pages I'm reminded of why I lost interest in the Bigfoot mythos. I just got fed up with the 'dance'. Present the evidence for bigfoot or don't (not directed at anyone in particular). Without it the claims are meaningless.

Edited by Slave2Fate
  • Like 2

There nothing in evidence that would suggest hominids made it to the Americas.

Gigantopithecus seems to be the favored contender offered up by Bigfoot proponents however I can't find any evidence that the Bering land bridge existed during the time that Gigantopithecus existed. Before and after yes, but not during.

Gigantopithecus seems to be the favored contender offered up by Bigfoot proponents however I can't find any evidence that the Bering land bridge existed during the time that Gigantopithecus existed. Before and after yes, but not during.

I go how many ice ages there were in the earth after the snow ball earth theory, however we are in an interglacial period - the holocene, of the ice age that began 2.6 million years ago at the start of the Pleistocene epoch, because the Greenland, Arctic, and Antarctic ice sheets still exist.

Gigantopithecus (from the Ancient Greek γίγας gigas "giant", and πίθηκος pithekos "ape") is an extinct genus of ape that existed from perhaps nine million years to as recently as one hundred thousand years ago

After reading the last few pages...........

To take the first words of your reply....

After I started reading new replies here, it is the same replies repeated, over, and over, and over, and over......

" Guerrillas " were not known until 1904, etc,etc,etc.....

I almost started to reply, but realize the reply ( answer to that ) has been posted to that same thing, over, and over, and over, and over.....

It is a broken record. I am really surprised people have not seen these debates before, and learned a few things from them.

Bigfoot will go on forever it seems..... :blush:

• Like 2

I go how many ice ages there were in the earth after the snow ball earth theory, however we are in an interglacial period - the holocene, of the ice age that began 2.6 million years ago at the start of the Pleistocene epoch, because the Greenland, Arctic, and Antarctic ice sheets still exist.

Gigantopithecus (from the Ancient Greek γίγας gigas "giant", and πίθηκος pithekos "ape") is an extinct genus of ape that existed from perhaps nine million years to as recently as one hundred thousand years ago

Also known as the Bering Strait Theory or Beringia theory, the Land Bridge theory has been widely accepted since the 1930s. The idea was first postulated in a rudimentary fashion in 1590 by the Jesuit scholarJosé de Acosta.[71] This model of migration into the New World proposes that people migrated from Siberia into Alaska, tracking big game animal herds. They were able to cross between the two continents by a land bridge called the Bering Land Bridge, which spanned what is now the Bering Strait, during the Wisconsin glaciation, the last major stage of the Pleistocene beginning 50,000 years ago and ending some 10,000 years ago, when ocean levels were 60 metres (200 ft) lower than today.

*bolding mine.

So far I have only been able to find that the land bridge only existed during the last stages of the Pleistocene Ice Age. Still outside the span of Giganto's existence. I'll keep looking though, I still have a few links to look through. :tu:

Oops! Forgot the link! :blush:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_of_the_Americas

Edited by Slave2Fate

After reading the last few pages I'm reminded of why I lost interest in the Bigfoot mythos. I just got fed up with the 'dance'. Present the evidence for bigfoot or don't (not directed at anyone in particular). Without it the claims are meaningless.

Exactly my sentiments. Well said Slave.

• Like 1

Exactly my sentiments. Well said Slave.

Good to see you're still around evan. Admittedly I haven't spent much time over here in the crypto forums lately but it's good to see you nonetheless. :tu:

To take the first words of your reply....

After I started reading new replies here, it is the same replies repeated, over, and over, and over, and over......

" Guerrillas " were not known until 1904, etc,etc,etc.....

I almost started to reply, but realize the reply ( answer to that ) has been posted to that same thing, over, and over, and over, and over.....

It is a broken record. I am really surprised people have not seen these debates before, and learned a few things from them.

Bigfoot will go on forever it seems..... :blush:

Same here. No point when all people say is "NO!" and "YES!". So few are willing to discuss, and fewer still are willing to go research what has already been written here at UM.

*bolding mine.

So far I have only been able to find that the land bridge only existed during the last stages of the Pleistocene Ice Age. Still outside the span of Giganto's existence. I'll keep looking though, I still have a few links to look through. :tu:

It is well known that the ice ages have come and gone at a regular rate for well over a million years. And each one is pretty much like the last, where glaciation covers a good percentage of the northern hemisphere. And so logically the oceans would lower the same each time, and logically the same land bridges would show up each time.

Homo Erectus was found to live in China as far back as 750,000 years, so they would have had probably as many as 8 chances to get to the Americas. That we haven't found any fossils means either they never went over, or that we simply haven't found any evidence yet. Given the numbers of species that did cross over, I'd wonder why they didn't.

800px-Vostok_Petit_data.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_ages

• Like 1

It is well known that the ice ages have come and gone at a regular rate for well over a million years. And each one is pretty much like the last, where glaciation covers a good percentage of the northern hemisphere. And so logically the oceans would lower the same each time, and logically the same land bridges would show up each time.

Homo Erectus was found to live in China as far back as 750,000 years, so they would have had probably as many as 8 chances to get to the Americas. That we haven't found any fossils means either they never went over, or that we simply haven't found any evidence yet. Given the numbers of species that did cross over, I'd wonder why they didn't.

800px-Vostok_Petit_data.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_ages

Except Beringia (The land bridge between Siberia and Alaska) was never glaciated.

Beringia is a loosely defined region surrounding the Bering Strait, the Chukchi Sea, and the Bering Sea. It includes parts of Chukotka and Kamchatka in Russia as well as Alaska in the United States. In historical contexts it also includes the Bering land bridge, an ancient land bridge roughly 1,000 miles (1,600 km) wide (north to south) at its greatest extent, which connected Asia with North America at various times during the Pleistocene ice ages.

The term Beringia was first coined by the Swedish botanist Eric Hultén in 1937.[1] During the ice ages, Beringia, like most of Siberia and all of Manchuria, was not glaciated because snowfall was very light.[2] It was a grassland steppe, including the land bridge, that stretched for several hundred miles into the continents on either side. It is believed that a small human population of at most a few thousand survived the Last Glacial Maximum in Beringia, isolated from its ancestor populations in Asia for at least 5,000 years, before expanding to populate the Americas sometime after 16,500 years ago, during the Late Glacial Maximum as the American glaciers blocking the way southward melted

It requires sufficient glaciation in the rest of the world to drop sea levels enough to expose the seabed. I can't find the information that says exactly when Beringia appeared and when it didn't. Still looking.

*Never mind, I misread your post.

Edited by Slave2Fate

For me it doesn’t matter what I know or think I know or what I say. And even though I'll try to make a point and fight for a point (that is what we do here), I don’t expect it to matter much at all to anyone else on an anonymous public para/cryptid forum.

What does speak volumes to me however is... Why isn’t mainstream science (those who DO know, those we should listen to) interested, intrigued, dialoguing and investigating the thousands-to-hundreds –to-40- years of “evidence” of bigfoot?

If Bigfoot is so possible and if bigfoot is also probable, where are the mainstream scientists?

No one should ever blindly follow my lead, but I prefer to heed, or at least recognize science's.

This would be one heck of a discovery for any scientist/researcher, and since we have all this evidence, thousands of encounters, where is science? Why are they so silent and uninvolved?

Hmmm

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 3

I appreciate the advice and hope that it applies to the "believers" too:

Empty your mind of everything you think you know about Bigfoot - examine what the history of "evidence" is really telling us about Bigfoot.

Never rule anything out - especially when people are involved.

There are still wonders yet to be discovered - yes there are even when they turn out to be somewhat different to what may have been expected.

Don't mistake me for a cynic - I still go out at night seeking the dangerous man-beast of Oz in its lair. Any are welcome to join me so long as they accept the risks - Yowies are known to rip people's heads right off!

33utpv9.jpg

• Like 1

I appreciate the advice and hope that it applies to the "believers" too:

Empty your mind of everything you think you know about Bigfoot - examine what the history of "evidence" is really telling us about Bigfoot.

Never rule anything out - especially when people are involved.

There are still wonders yet to be discovered - yes there are even when they turn out to be somewhat different to what may have been expected.

Don't mistake me for a cynic - I still go out at night seeking the dangerous man-beast of Oz in its lair. Any are welcome to join me so long as they accept the risks - Yowies are known to rip people's heads right off!

33utpv9.jpg

I think we are saying same thing N-W.. an open mind is the only way the truth will ever be discovered.. too many times we get distracted by the agendas of who happens to be presenting the argument..

• Like 1

I think we are saying same thing N-W.. an open mind is the only way the truth will ever be discovered.. too many times we get distracted by the agendas of who happens to be presenting the argument..

When it comes to Bigfoot ( and other things ), an " open mind " is open so far that the brains of the believers have fallen out. Having a " open mind " when it is blatantly obvious something does not exist, is not going to make it exist in the future.