Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mysterious Dolmens of the Caucasus

Still Waters

The Western Caucasus, extending over 275,000 ha of the extreme western end of the Caucasus mountains and located 50 km north-east of the Black Sea, is one of the few large mountain areas of Europe that has not experienced significant human impact. Yet dotted within the pristine landscape are thousands of ancient megalithic structures built many millennia ago. Archaeologists do not know who built them, where the stones came from, or what their true purpose was, leading to much speculation in the scientific community.

http://www.ancient-o...caucasus-001766

• Like 1

The Western Caucasus, extending over 275,000 ha of the extreme western end of the Caucasus mountains and located 50 km north-east of the Black Sea, is one of the few large mountain areas of Europe that has not experienced significant human impact. Yet dotted within the pristine landscape are thousands of ancient megalithic structures built many millennia ago. Archaeologists do not know who built them, where the stones came from, or what their true purpose was, leading to much speculation in the scientific community.

http://www.ancient-o...caucasus-001766

Much like the Alaskan ice dolmans, safety from the elements.

There has been other threads on these structures.

I did read something new though, that almost all these sites have included a Plug for the entryway, which was put in from the outside. This leads me to lean more toward the Tomb theory.

• Like 1

There has been other threads on these structures.

I did read something new though, that almost all these sites have included a Plug for the entryway, which was put in from the outside. This leads me to lean more toward the Tomb theory.

but would nt there be human bones in there ?

QUOTE-

In 2007,

it was decided to reconstruct a

dolmen from the stones plates of

destroyed structures in Gelendzhik

and carry out the processing and

fitting with high-precision electric

tools. Despite the help of modern

technology, the builders were

unable to achieve the same level of

precision as the Bronze Age

builders.

who on earth were these 'builders', who, despite being armed with 'high precision electric tools', were unable to do what any half-decent stonemason could do with nothing more sophisticated than a cold chisel and a hammer.

maybe sending scientists in to do the work of tradesmen isn't the right course of action.

i know a gang of polish brickies who could knock you one of them up in their dinner hour (at a very reasonable price....).

there were bones found in them Doc, it says so in the article, and though it also states that the bones were from different historical periods, it's worth remembering that structures of this type were in use by the same communities for thousands of years.

The long barrow at West Kennet was in use for 1500yrs before the Avebury complex was even begun, and the bones found inside were separated by hundreds of years, showing that these funerary monuments were the focus of their tribes long before any other kind of monuments, religious or otherwise, and that mankind usually puts great stock in the treatment of their dead, and would often go to extraordinary lengths to honour them....

• Like 1

I was just going to say that bones were found in many of the structures.

Depends on how old the structures are, but since bones inside the structure are still subject to animals and the elements, yet are never buried, I'd guess that bones really wouldn't last terribly long inside one of the structures.

• Like 1

I was just going to say that bones were found in many of the structures.

Depends on how old the structures are, but since bones inside the structure are still subject to animals and the elements, yet are never buried, I'd guess that bones really wouldn't last terribly long inside one of the structures.

They are also similar to the Northern Iberian dolmans,and artifical caves, perhaps they are chiefdoms tombs.