Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Another experience from my Grandma

jawjalou

This is another story about my Grandma that my cousin reminded me of today. I havent heard anyone talk about this in a long time. I'll get to the one that happened to me next. Bear with me. This second story is about my aunt too, who was my Grandma's daughter of course. She died a long time before I was born. I think the year was 1969. This next story isn't a dream but something my Grandma experienced first hand.

It was late one night and my Grandma was at the sink either washing dishes or getting a drink of water. It was an early fall night and warm so she had the kitchen window up in front of the sink. All of a sudden, she heard this loud terrible screaming like a wailing. It was coming from up the road about a quarter of a mile, right where this other smaller road intersects the road she lived on. The screaming didn't appear to be standing still but moving. She thought it might have been someone screaming from a car but there weren't any headlights she could see. She said the screaming came from that other road, went up to the intersection, and then turned up the road away from Grandma's house. Well that scared Grandma real bad of course. She wanted to get in her car and go up the road to see what she could see. But something told her not to do that.

The very next night, something awful happened. My aunt was riding with her husband, who was drunk. He was speeding along that road I mentioned that runs off the main road. He left the road and hit a tree in his car. He wasn't hurt, but my aunt was killed instantly.

The family is convinced that what Grandma experienced was a warning or a premonition about that wreck.

PS: Thanks to my cousin Beth for reminding and helping me write this. Your awesome Beth. Love ya!

• Like 2

Strange experience, and i'm sorry to hear about your aunt having suffered her loss of life due to such terrible circumstances. Drinking and driving is never a good idea, and it always saddens me to the core when you hear that the one who was drunk comes out of the accident unscathed.

Hi there, Jorji. It's an interesting, if rather sad, story.

There are many, many cultures with tales of 'death omens' (or disaster omens) and quite a few of them incorporate screaming or wailing spectres. Personally, I believe the sounds heard are that of ordinary things such as wildlife, but that people have erroneously associated those noises with traumatic events as a form of observational or negativity bias. And this false association has led to the whole phenomenon of 'death omens' - in particular the audible screaming or wailing.

It is the same phenomenon that causes people to remember specific and memorable time on clocks, such as 11:11, for example. People will say "every time I look at a clock, it is 11:11", or 3:33, or another memorable time. In reality, however, those people look at clocks far more frequently, but do not remember the other times they see - only the memorable ones. Thus they falsely believe they "only look at clocks when the time is 'special'".

Edited by Leonardo

The loud shriek sounds like it could be a banshee. Was your grandmother Irish? Seeing or hearing the banshee is definitely an omen of death.

• Like 1

The loud shriek sounds like it could be a banshee. Was your grandmother Irish? Seeing or hearing the banshee is definitely an omen of death.

Her ancestry was part Scottish which is Celtic like Irish. I don't know if banshee is part of Scottish tradition. As I remember the north east corner of that house is pretty well in line with that intersection. Also part of her ancestry is Cherokee. We believe thats where the psychic part comes in. She could tell when it was going to rain by looking at the leaves on trees. I can too.

Hi there, Jorji. It's an interesting, if rather sad, story.

There are many, many cultures with tales of 'death omens' (or disaster omens) and quite a few of them incorporate screaming or wailing spectres. Personally, I believe the sounds heard are that of ordinary things such as wildlife, but that people have erroneously associated those noises with traumatic events as a form of observational or negativity bias. And this false association has led to the whole phenomenon of 'death omens' - in particular the audible screaming or wailing.

It is the same phenomenon that causes people to remember specific and memorable time on clocks, such as 11:11, for example. People will say "every time I look at a clock, it is 11:11", or 3:33, or another memorable time. In reality, however, those people look at clocks far more frequently, but do not remember the other times they see - only the memorable ones. Thus they falsely believe they "only look at clocks when the time is 'special'".

This is the first Ive heard about 11:11 or 3:33. No idea what it means. I guess it could have been some kind of animal but it sure was a coincidence. I wasn't there so I don't know.

You're supposed to make a wish at 11:11. Or something. I think.

This is a remarkable story, Jorji. Very sad but remarkable. Would this have been your father's sister who died in the accident?

This is the first Ive heard about 11:11 or 3:33. No idea what it means. I guess it could have been some kind of animal but it sure was a coincidence. I wasn't there so I don't know.

I don't know either, my explanation is only a possibility I think seems reasonable. There have been a few threads here on UM about people saying "whenever I look at a clock it is a certain time", but none recently that I have noticed.

I'm very sorry for your aunt's passing, however, and the tragic circumstances in which that happened.

Her ancestry was part Scottish which is Celtic like Irish. I don't know if banshee is part of Scottish tradition. As I remember the north east corner of that house is pretty well in line with that intersection. Also part of her ancestry is Cherokee. We believe thats where the psychic part comes in. She could tell when it was going to rain by looking at the leaves on trees. I can too.

Your grandma had a precognitive day dream. I also have a 'way of knowing' being telepathic. Some times it can be hard to in trust those inclinations.

I would like to suggest, as it relates to any precognitive experience, that we can ask the experience why we have been informed about something. There are times when we can influence outcome potentials. It never hurts to investigate that circumstance. I have had a number of experiences with this myself. Some are personal and some relate to friends. There is always a reason why we receive a precognitive insight. I sense in this case that there was not an appropriate way to alter that outcome potential. The energy from that experience was strong and your grandma could not help but sense it.

John

• Like 2

I don't know whether the song has anything to do with tribal tradition, but I love the sound of it:

Cat Power - Cherokee

This is a remarkable story, Jorji. Very sad but remarkable. Would this have been your father's sister who died in the accident?

It was sad. The family was torn up they say. No actually Grandma was my great grandmother. Grandma was my dad's grandmother. My aunt Emily was actually my dad's aunt. Emily was the sister of my grandfather. So she would be a great aunt. Yall really need to learn genealogy. :D Edited by jawjalou
  • Like 1

It was sad. The family was torn up they say. No actually Grandma was my great grandmother. Grandma was my dad's grandmother. My aunt Emily was actually my dad's aunt. Emily was the sister of my grandfather. So she would be a great aunt. Yall really need to learn genealogy. :D

Oh, I see now. Genealogy in America is difficult I suspect. Genealogy where my Dad comes from is fairly easy. We are often descended from unfortunate women who either Turks came and raped, Russians came and raped, or Mongols came and raped. Or all three. : / Edited by SaraT

Oh, I see now. Genealogy in America is difficult I suspect. Genealogy where my Dad comes from is fairly easy. We are often descended from unfortunate women who either Turks came and raped, Russians came and raped, or Mongols came and raped. Or all three. : /

Yours is a heavy inheritance. The kind that, alas, spans generations.

There is, to my knowledge, but one similar instance in my prehistory.

What made my elusive great, great grandmother more than mere chattel

was a shared passion (his being from a family of botanists and her innate

knowledge of plants)--the cause for her continually being retrieved.

Jawjalou, re:

Bury me, marry me to the sky

Marry, marry me to the sky

If I die before my time

Bury me upside down

:-? Because birds tend to fly belly-down?

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 2

Oh, I see now. Genealogy in America is difficult I suspect. Genealogy where my Dad comes from is fairly easy. We are often descended from unfortunate women who either Turks came and raped, Russians came and raped, or Mongols came and raped. Or all three. : /

It's sad but women being raped and bearing the children has happened a lot in human history. Of course it's still going on. Even though I hate abortion with everything in me I can see why it could be necessary.

To whom it may concern:

[spin.com's] contributor Jessica Hopper points out in her review that such inverted burial was traditionally reserved for suicides, but in

[another...] "Cherokee" video, directed by Marshall herself, zombie-like day walkers loom large as another potential cause of death.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

For those interested, my avi is a pic of Grandma when she was young. I think about 20.

She was so pretty!

Edited by jawjalou

That's interesting. Most premonitions I hear about are from dreams.

My best freind has premonitions in his dreams all the time. He has had his dream premonitions come true so many times that I don't even question it anymore. Just too much coincidences to explain away.

So to me it's perfectly possible that your grandma had premonitions