Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism a 'Mental Illness'

Leonardo

Nigeria atheist Bala 'deemed mentally ill in Kano state'

A Nigerian man has been sent to a mental institute in Kano state after he declared that he did not believe in God, according to a humanist charity.

Mubarak Bala, 29, is said to have been forcibly medicated by his Muslim relatives, despite being given a clean bill of health by a doctor.

The International Humanist and Ethical Union say a Lagos-based group has asked a lawyer to take up his case.

Kano is a mainly Muslim state and adopted Sharia (Islamic law) in 2000.

source

Quite a few theists make posts pointing out the discrimination and persecution of theists by non-theists, so I wanted to redress the balance a little.

Is not believing in something that cannot be seen, touched, tasted, smelled or heard - cannot be detected, observed or measured in any way - a sign of mental illness?

• Like 8

source

Quite a few theists make posts pointing out the discrimination and persecution of theists by non-theists, so I wanted to redress the balance a little.

Is not believing in something that cannot be seen, touched, tasted, smelled or heard - cannot be detected, observed or measured in any way - a sign of mental illness?

NO! It is a sign of using a of logic when dealing with the topic.

• Like 1

Not talking to imaginary friends is a mental illness.. who knew?

Sharia law is the problem, theocracies rarely play nice with non-believers.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 9

Yeah go figure, seems like following rules that were written by a mere moral and passed off as the laws of an almighty entity isn't as crazy as not believing in it.

I tried to make this as non offensive as I could.

Edited by IBelieveWhatIWant
  • Like 3

I reckon we are all looking for something or someone to worship and adore. Gods, the stars, money, another person... it seems like a human need.

• Like 3

This Man is sick!

Quick!

Show him a Tree, a pretty Sunset, put a Mirror to his Face, and then show him the verse that says God did it.

• Like 1

I reckon we are all looking for something or someone to worship and adore. Gods, the stars, money, another person... it seems like a human need.

Man is looking for that unexpected squirt of Appple Juice.

(For those that know what I am talking about, give a like this.)

Mental illness becomes more likely when that imaginary friend answers!

• Like 3

Not necessarily, personally I don't adore or worship to anyone human or otherwise. Sure there are people I take influence from to learn to better myself but I wouldn't consider that "worshiping" or "adoring". It's just the majority of the population that seem to need reassurance that life on Earth isn't all for nothing.

source

It is, clinically, such an abnormal condition in humans, and goes so much against evolved human thought processes, that it might be considered so. I disagree but it is easy to see why this position is held.

Belief has nothing to do with knowledge or evidence .It is about a thought process which operates to give us meaning and understanding of things which are unknown and presently unknowable.Thus the lack of evidence for god means nothing when it comes to belief. There are so many factors in our minds operation from childbirth, and in our environment which almost "compel" us to believe in gods, that when a person does not, others think,"Well what is wrong with their mind?" There are also compelling sociological and anthropological evidences that society and community is so dependent on the sort of social trust and cohesion which operates within a group of believers, that when an individual says "I do not believe," it immediately puts them outside the group, and hence outside their mutual "protection" of those within the group.

Exaggeration always help me look at such issues Suppose one million people belived in god and one man said, "I do not" How would al the rest think about him and treat him? Is it not very likely that the would be considered somehow mentally deficient, if not mentally unwell.

Anyone who defies the majority in any way always runs the risk of such labelling. Where they defy them in something as important /fundamental as the belief which defines their world view then there are two choices Either they are crazy or you are. Now who is gonna admit that they are ?

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 2

It is, clinically, such an abnormal condition in humans, and goes so much against evolved human thought processes, that it might be considered so. I disagree but it is easy to see why this position is held.

Belief has nothing to do with knowledge or evidence .It is about a thought process which operates to give us meaning and understanding of things which are unknown and presently unknowable.Thus the lack of evidence for god means nothing when it comes to belief. There are so many factors in our minds operation from childbirth, and in our environment which almost "compel" us to believe in gods, that when a person does not, others think,"Well what is wrong with their mind?" There are also compelling sociological and anthropological evidences that society and community is so dependent on the sort of social trust and cohesion which operates within a group of believers, that when an individual says "I do not believe," it immediately puts them outside the group, and hence outside their mutual "protection" of those within the group.

The reason it might be thought of as weird is because for thousands of years we have been told that there is an almighty creator. It isn't due to how our brain works from childbirth, it's due to the mass "brain washing" (best word for it) that tell us that something must have created us and there fore have a plan for us. Basically it's just a way to control and condition people.
  • Like 2

Exaggeration always help me look at such issues Suppose one million people belived in god and one man said, "I do not" How would al the rest think about him and treat him? Is it not very likely that the would be considered somehow mentally deficient, if not mentally unwell.

Anyone who defies the majority in any way always runs the risk of such labelling. Where they defy them in something as important /fundamental as the belief which defines their world view then there are two choices Either they are crazy or you are. Now who is gonna admit that they are ?

So, your argument is that anyone who holds different beliefs than others can rightly be considered "mentally ill"?

• Like 2

I don't want to worship or adore anything, never have, even when I was a Christian.

• Like 2

You're probably right - although I wouldn't necessarily use the words "worship" or "adore". I think it is psychologically beneficial to hold to some belief in something "greater than ourselves" (as in, our individual selves) but this something might be an abstract human value such as 'justice', 'equality', etc.

• Like 3

You're probably right - although I wouldn't necessarily use the words "worship" or "adore". I think it is psychologically beneficial to hold to some belief in something "greater than ourselves" (as in, our individual selves) but this something might be an abstract human value such as 'justice', 'equality', etc.

Why do you think that? I don't feel the need to have a belief in an entity greater than myself.

So, your argument is that anyone who holds different beliefs than others can rightly be considered "mentally ill"?

He actually believes that God is a physical being whom he has a regular contact with. To MW, God is an empirical, undisputed fact. No wonder why he believes that atheism is a mental illness.

Reading his post ruined my sleep. I gotta drive 50 miles to shoot a commercial this morning and I am upset now. It's 4:30 in the morning in So Cal.

Why do you think that? I don't feel the need to have a belief in an entity greater than myself.

Well, if Neil DeGrasse Tyson's speculation is correct, there are more advanced and evolved lifeforms out there. Just a nitpicking. Sorry.

I never said "entity". The belief might be in a cause - like "justice", as I said. Also, I never said it was a 'need', but that such a belief would likely be psychologically beneficial. I base this on humans being social animals, and the possibility that such thinking is 'hard-wired' into us, albeit expressed in many different ways through a variety of beliefs.

• Like 1

Not necessarily, personally I don't adore or worship to anyone human or otherwise. Sure there are people I take influence from to learn to better myself but I wouldn't consider that "worshiping" or "adoring". It's just the majority of the population that seem to need reassurance that life on Earth isn't all for nothing.

I don't want to worship or adore anything, never have, even when I was a Christian.

Aww.

You've never worshipped a lady, or man? Never been in love? :( Never mind, you still have time on your side. Good luck!

• Like 2

We have submission/dominance instincts that manifest in different people and cultures in different ways. Religion has a strong element of that, as does politics (bowing to the king). Modern celebrity cults probably would not exist if lots of people didn't have such feelings.

I think, though, that, as with most of our instincts, we are heterogeneous.

• Like 1

Aww.

You've never worshipped a lady, or man? Never been in love? :( Never mind, you still have time on your side. Good luck!

Being in love does not mean worship. If you worship the one that you love that just means that you're whipped :)

Being in love does not mean worship. If you worship the one that you love that just means that you're whipped :)

Tsk, tsk. From the mouths of babes. :(

You'll find her/him someday. (If you're lucky)

Edited by Eldorado

Aww.

I am married and have been for nearly 45 years, but I never worshipped my husband, anymore than he would worship me, what a horrible idea!