Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientist investigates phone call telepathy

UM-Bot

Dr. Rupert Sheldrake conducted a study to see if we really can tell who is calling before picking up.

If you've ever received a phone call out of the blue that you weren't expecting but somehow found that you knew who was on the other end before you even picked up the phone then you aren't alone - the phenomenon of 'telephone telepathy' is not a new one.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-call-telepathy

I would be telepathic too. Skipped work boss will eventually call. Going to the bar all night, wife will call. Late on bills, the devil of collections will call.

• Like 3

Interesting, mine works in that when a take a shower or lay down for a nap, the phone rings.

• Like 2

That's looks interesting, especially if positive results above that of mere chance probability can be replicated independantly in riguorous conditions. Though seperating the possible effect of a 'telepathy' from that of a 'precognition' is extremely difficult in this kind of experiment, as precognition:

is a type of extrasensory perception that would involve the acquisition or effect of future information that cannot be deduced from presently available and normally acquired sense-based information.

Source: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Precognition

Edited by sam_comm

I do this all the time based on I know who calls at what time of day, and on which days of the week. It is still guessing though.

• Like 1

I do this all the time based on I know who calls at what time of day, and on which days of the week. It is still guessing though.

You took the words out of my mouth, its a process of elimination followed with an educated guess...

Also nobody goes on about the time they guessed wrong, so a bit of selective memory is chucked in for good measure.

• Like 2

Yep - easy in my house.......at certain times wife's mother another time slot, wife's father.........any other time sales......and I'm not psychic.

Not so easy here at home. We do have unexpected calls quite frequently from relatives and friends which fits into no particular and precise timeframe. We might at best try to ''guess'' who it could be while the phone is ringing without any definitive idea but as for myself, right answers don't rise above what mere chance probability will permit.

Edited by sam_comm

I only have to look at my phone to know whose calling lol

• Like 4

For any multiple choice of 4, just pick C. It's been proven that you will be correct more than the 25%. .

Edited by paperdyer

That never happened to me for phones, but I did manage to blow my friends' minds on a few occasions for radio. I'd be sing a tune that pops in my mind. Then soon after, someone will turn the radio on (because my singing skills are frowned upon). Oddly enough, if they switch a few stations around, the song I was muttering was playing.

• Like 2

That never happened to me for phones, but I did manage to blow my friends' minds on a few occasions for radio. I'd be sing a tune that pops in my mind. Then soon after, someone will turn the radio on (because my singing skills are frowned upon). Oddly enough, if they switch a few stations around, the song I was muttering was playing.

This has happened to me more times than I can count, so many times a song will be stuck in my head before hopping into my car and as soon as the car cranks up wham! the song is on the radio. I would normally attribute this to listening to the same station often and them just having a certain playlist, however I have a pretty eclectic taste in music and listen to a variety of stations so it's really just coincidence... or is it? :alien:

• Like 2

I only have to look at my phone to know whose calling lol

Many people these days register as ''Caller ID Unknown'' so it's not always easy. :sm

Edited by sam_comm

I've had this happen a few times, I'll admit. It's weird really. You think you feel your phone vibrate and nothing is there, but you still get a call or text later.

Great Post, Dr. Sheldrake has done some great ground-breaking work and studies in the areas of animals and human non-verbal communication.

See: When Animals Talk with Dr. Jane Goodall.

I've noticed that all I have to do to get my phone to ring is get deeply interested in a movie.

Edited by SaraT
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have this. Can think of lots of incidences when this happened, some of which were involved in OBEs.

I can't wait to see the methodology and how he takes into account all the factors that determine when and why people call... As an example I and a close family relative tend to listen to the same radio station, and we have similar tastes in songs, so there have been a few occasions when we both heard the same song, thought of each other and rang at almost the same moment.. Similarly, friends/relatives will always tend a have a rough call 'frequency', so that after say a 2-week period you will (both) begin to wonder why they haven't called, and the likelihood of that call increases exponentially. And so on..

Those are just a couple of examples of what may trigger a call, then there is that person's daily schedule, etc... Yes, I'm sure the well-known Dr Sheldrake will not disappoint us with his coverage of all such aspects... :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This reminds me of when I sit down to dinner after a long day at work. I'll take my first bite, literally, and someone will call or knock on my door. I get a phone call or a knock between 3-10 times a month on average, not often at all but it almost always happens right after I take that first bite of food.

• 4 weeks later...

This happened with my son, as a child. When the phone rang he was 100% accurate as to who it was. he could also tell you who was at the door even though we had no windows facing the front of our house, nor did we have a peephole. One day he said, the police are here, and I laughed, then the knock came on the door I opened it up and was like, yep it's the police. ;-) When I was on my honey moon we bought a flat of strawberries to bring home to him, we decided to eat them on the trip home. We tossed the evidence, but when we arrived to pick him up, he told us it wasn't very nice to buy him strawberries then eat them. As he got older his ability disappeared but it was awesome while it lasted.

• 2 months later...

This happens to me a lot I often find myself picking up the phone right before it rings as well. This is more often when I know who it is also. I also tend to react right before alarms go off or the microwave/oven beeps or when someone approaches my house but that's easier to rationalize by the fact that timers are on a set time and possibly I'm subconsciously better at hearing or keeping track of time than I think... I don't know but it is definitely a real phonomena because my body alway reacts as if I already heard the sound and then I notice I was reaching for my phone or walking to the alarm.

Two days ago, I was thinking about my bff, then, all of the sudden, she called me!!! This isn't the first time this has happened!!! :)

I think all phones say who is calling now....

Two days ago, I was thinking about my bff, then, all of the sudden, she called me!!! This isn't the first time this has happened!!! :)

Not the first time your BFF has called you, I agree with that.